Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Vardy Visits Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha Memorial Garden

17 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

A year on and it still doesn’t get any easier to reconcile what happened, does it? 😞

If you want honesty, yes it does for me. 

At the time it hit me far more than I ever imagined something like that could or would. But I didn't know the man personally (obviously), it's clearly going to be far harder for those who knew him and his family to move on from it though. 

A horrific thing to happen, but it's been handled with such class from everyone involved. Especially Top and his family, to continue to come down here and sit next to his dads empty team, metres from where it happened takes absolute balls of steel. 

• Like 4

David Goldlbatt has just had published another of his books on world football. While it is, as ever, well researched and written, it rather hurt when he described the reaction to our chairman's death as "mawkish".

If you look at the dictionary definition of the word, sentimental in an exaggerated or false way, then the reaction has not been mawkish at all.

Goldblatt gave a talk at DMU recently about his new book. If I'd known beforehand about that I would have certainly challenged him on it.

I don’t think I will ever forget that night,

I was in the family stand with my 2 kids,

it was kicking off to the left of us with both sets of fans,

after wilf equalised in the 94th minute we promptly left as I thought It would kick off outside and didn’t want my kids to see it,

we picked up a takeaway on the way home,

and after that the Mrs was watching X factor with the kids so I went upstairs to watch goals express on sky sports news,

then the presenter said there some disturbing images to report from the king power Stadium,

my first thought was it kicked off outside the ground and someone’s been seriously injured,

then it was announced a helicopter has crashed,

I shouted to my Mrs to put ssn on and we spent the rest of the evening watching anxiously,but inevitable knowing we had lost our chairman😥

then my children came into my room Sunday morning and I broke the news to them whilst crying,

my then 11 and 6 year olds also Started crying,

I hadn’t cried that much over a family member dying such was the impact he has Had on me as a supported and a person from Leicester,

vichi will litterally be in our hearts forever 

Edited by Russell sprout
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Fox1970 said:

David Goldlbatt has just had published another of his books on world football. While it is, as ever, well researched and written, it rather hurt when he described the reaction to our chairman's death as "mawkish".

If you look at the dictionary definition of the word, sentimental in an exaggerated or false way, then the reaction has not been mawkish at all.

Goldblatt gave a talk at DMU recently about his new book. If I'd known beforehand about that I would have certainly challenged him on it.

I think the club and fans have been just about right with the tributes. Big outpouring in the aftermath, then a sense of returning to normality. A big thing was made about his Birthday and the Bournemouth game then now marking the first anniversary.

I can see why so many articles about it might grate with others but that isn't the club's fault, journalists and media want to discuss it and it would be rude to decline. I doubt the club ask for people to come in. You've got to take into account what he did for the local area so naturally more people will have their own tributes outside of the club.

I think we've found the right balance with it all. After Sunday, we'll get back to remembering Vichai without continually referencing the accident. Anniversaries are always poignant.

• Like 1

Some of this is very unusual for me(family member?).Very sad and serious  business all round and the year seems to have flown by my friends birthday on the 27th will be a reminder every year but unless you knew the man or the family personally I cannot in truth share the connection to that level..39 people dead yesterday in a trailer trying to get to UK .

No offence to anyone but we should all appreciate the owners past and present and most important look forward to the future.whilst keeping the remembrance going every September.

Some of this is very unusual for me(family member?).Very sad business all round and the year seems to have flown by my friends birthday on the 27th will be a reminder every year but unless you knew the man or the family personally I cannot in truth share the connection to that level.39 people dead yesterday in a trailer trying to get to UK .

o

1 hour ago, Fox1970 said:

At the time I didn’t think it was at all, all seemed very genuine to me. Last weekend I did feel like a few people and groups were perhaps trying to out grief each other, but that’s a personal thing I sensed on the day. 

47 minutes ago, Babylon said:

At the time I didn’t think it was at all, all seemed very genuine to me. Last weekend I did feel like a few people and groups were perhaps trying to out grief each other, but that’s a personal thing I sensed on the day. 

You've got to separate the club/ fan tributes with the outside world's. To the players and staff, they'd lost a father, a boss, a friend no doubt, people who know him personally so naturally they would be devastated by a loss as anyone would be. To the fans, the man was in charge when we had our greatest moment so will always resonate with us so whilst we didn't know him personally, we saw him at the ground, he shook hands with fans, he felt close enough to feel that loss.

The outside world's reaction would be different, not so personal and heartfelt but more out of respect from a distance. But those tributes reach a different group- our website and Twitter caters for our fans, newspaper websites cater for a wide variety of readers and subscribers.

Like with anything, I'm sure some wanted to get their face and name in the public domain a bit more than others but mostly we paid our respects well and with taste. After Sunday, there will be focus again on the football and that is how it should be.

Every so often I watch the video that was shown at the ground following the accident and it always brings a tear to my eye. Unbelievable the impact that the loss of this special man has had on so many people. And it is all touchingly genuine. RIP Vichai you will always be in our hearts.