Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Eamonn

What's our aim, this season?

8 minutes ago, PaulW said:

If competing with Man City doesn't involve being within a couple of points of them, I don't know what does.  Despite your patronising sigh.

We've played ten games. 

I got tutted at before the season for having "unrealistic expectations" because I said we'd be in a race for 4th.

Foxestalk insisted top six would be a minor miracle and that we didn't have the squad to challenge the mighty Arsenal and United. 

The same Foxestalk that spent most of last year laughing at Spurs for thinking they're in a title race with City and Liverpool. 

Now you want to start claiming we are because we've had a bright start and walloped a couple of relegation fodder teams who had 10 men for most the match? 

Look, I'm still optimistic about our prospects of the champions league, I think we've got a great squad, a great manager and I'm really proud we're trending in the right direction. I'd love to be proved wrong and for us to be still in touching distance come April but we've got a very, very difficult next two games to navigate first. 

Let's keep our feet ever so slightly on the ground eh? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Weird thing is that if we can sustain decent home form against the poorer sides, we have a real chance now. If we can sustain the form until December, we have scenario where an average second half may put us in the top six. 

That's mad and a comment on the rest of the division more than anything else. 

Players are not stupid, they know they are in a good place with a good squad and going in the right direction. 

The last thing they need is us fans putting them under unnecessary pressure. 

We know well that everything in life can change so quickly. 

Just enjoy the ride as there will be good and bad things happen along the way and see where it takes us. 

With good luck, come Easter we might just be dreaming again. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Weird thing is that if we can sustain decent home form against the poorer sides, we have a real chance now. If we can sustain the form until December, we have scenario where an average second half may put us in the top six. 

That's mad and a comment on the rest of the division more than anything else. 

Just for clarity, when you say "we have a chance", which target are you talking about mate? 

Genuinely asking as not sure, not being facetious. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

We've played ten games. 

I got tutted at before the season for having "unrealistic expectations" because I said we'd be in a race for 4th.

Foxestalk insisted top six would be a minor miracle and that we didn't have the squad to challenge the mighty Arsenal and United. 

The same Foxestalk that spent most of last year laughing at Spurs for thinking they're in a title race with City and Liverpool. 

Now you want to start claiming we are because we've had a bright start and walloped a couple of relegation fodder teams who had 10 men for most the match? 

Look, I'm still optimistic about our prospects of the champions league, I think we've got a great squad, a great manager and I'm really proud we're trending in the right direction. I'd love to be proved wrong and for us to be still in touching distance come April but we've got a very, very difficult next two games to navigate first. 

Sigh

Given the start and other so called traditional top 6 clubs looking anything but convincing I think anything less than 6th would be a disappointment, unless there is a horrific spate of injuries or anything like that.

I think privately, without shouting it from the rooftops, Rodgers will believe fourth, or at least challenging for it is achievable this season with a bit of luck.

Edited by henrik_62

16 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Top 4 for me. I am convinced we're better than Arsenal and Tottenham.

That said I wanted a draw from Liverpool v Spurs. Liverpool drop some points and you start wondering what if.

Realistically Liverpool and Man City will both hit about 100 each but they won't do it forever. Any sign of a slip and you never know.

Liverpool play Manchester City on the 10th November and we play both Liverpool and Manchester City during December period every chance they drop points. I know title is unrealistic goal but let’s try and see, obviously game by game.

I don’t think Europa league football will keep our Better players tbh, that’s why Champions League football is a must.

19 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Liverpool play Manchester City on the 10th November and we play both Liverpool and Manchester City during December period every chance they drop points. I know title is unrealistic goal but let’s try and see, obviously game by game.

I don’t think Europa league football will keep our Better players tbh, that’s why Champions League football is a must.

That's my point, just take it as it comes. What if they did actually drop some points?

Do think we've got a tough November to be honest. Neither away game is easy and Arsenal, while I think we'll win, isn't exactly a stroll either.

As long as we qualify for Europe I don't think the season will go down as a disappointment.  But it would still be disappointing if we don't make a serious push at CL, given how unique the opportunity being presented this season is.  Apart from MC and Liverpool there's no one clearly better than us, and we've already got 8 points on Tottenham and 5 on Arsenal, who would represent our greatest threats for a CL spot on paper (and that's if you give one to Chelsea, which IMO is far from a given).

Edited by Deeg67

Anything above last Season would be an improvement, but inishing in the top 6 should be the target. Whilst it is easy to get carried away thinking about top 4, there is a long way to go and a couple of results not going our way could easily change everything.

I can't see Spurs poor form continuing (Although I hope I am wrong). Utd will probably splash the cash in the Summer. I also imagine if they sack Ole and they will go on another new manager bounce winning run.

It is very exciting times though!

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

That's my point, just take it as it comes. What if they did actually drop some points?

Do think we've got a tough November to be honest. Neither away game is easy and Arsenal, while I think we'll win, isn't exactly a stroll either.

Palace away are our bogey team, but Brighton we haven’t done too badly in recent years. I am not fearful of any opposition tbh, and I don’t think the players are tbh. Yes you could make the case that at Old Trafford the occasion got to the players. But I think Rodgers has us on the right track