Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Eamonn

What's our aim, this season?

This team is so strong, maybe we are a shy of a Top quality winger but apart from that I think our team is seriously good enough for a Top 4 finish and that should be the aim.

I think we are in a title race. If Spurs beat Liverpool today only 5 points gap which isn’t insurmountable. The expectations won’t be on us more Manchester City and Liverpool and who knows we may be able to fly under the radar like our title winning season.

Top 4 for me. I am convinced we're better than Arsenal and Tottenham.

That said I wanted a draw from Liverpool v Spurs. Liverpool drop some points and you start wondering what if.

Realistically Liverpool and Man City will both hit about 100 each but they won't do it forever. Any sign of a slip and you never know.

Was saying to others at August, the target must be to upset the elite and if another club comes with us to do, it makes the job easier of top 6. 

The table has settled down and it looks no one has bridged the gap excepting Palace who continually amaze to get great results away from home. 

Still want to us push on with the Cups. It’s a big game on Tuesday, we win we are in the quarters again hoping for a decent draw but there’s a near 30% chance we get lower division opposition. There’s two potential opponents in midst of injury crisis and Liverpool will play kids 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Top 4 for me. I am convinced we're better than Arsenal and Tottenham.

That said I wanted a draw from Liverpool v Spurs. Liverpool drop some points and you start wondering what if.

Realistically Liverpool and Man City will both hit about 100 each but they won't do it forever. Any sign of a slip and you never know.

We should be rooting for Man City and Liverpool every league game they aren't playing us.  We aren't catching either one and every point someone else gains off them is a point lost to a potential rival.

• Like 1

At the start of the season I'd have said top 6.   Given the start we've had, and especially how Caglar has replaced Maguire so well, I'd say top 4 now.   Either way we should aim to start next season with a better squad than we started this season, with properr competition for each place. The fact that Praet - a fantastic signing - can't get in the first team says a lot about how we are progressing as a club.  

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

We should be rooting for Man City and Liverpool every league game they aren't playing us.  We aren't catching either one and every point someone else gains off them is a point lost to a potential rival.

Why would I root for Liverpool to beat say... Bournemouth?

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Why would I root for Liverpool to beat say... Bournemouth?

Well, fair enough if you insist on being pedantic.  But any team that has a remote chance of rivaling us for a European spot.

I'm all for optimism and ambition, but look at it this way.  In order to win the league, we don't have to catch and pass Man City or Liverpool - we need to catch and pass both.  If you think there's any chance of that, more power to you.  I don't, and if you aren't going to win the league I don't really care that much whether we finish 2nd or 3rd.  The point is to secure a slot in the Champions League (or Europa at a bare minimum), and 'Pool and MC are our best allies in doing that.  Admittedly if you have a strong rooting interest between those two teams, you'll pull for the other to lose - but from a LCFC perspective I'm rooting for them every time they aren't playing us or a bottom-feeder (or each other).

Edited by Deeg67

Realistically, I'd say our aim remains Top 6.

I think the senior players will be key in managing the expectations considering their experience from 2015-16.

However, with results like against Southampton and Newcastle, it's going to be natural for fans to chop and change expectations between anything from title winners to top 7. And in all honesty, an opinion on any of these places that we can finish in, is currently relevant. 

Brendan's made the Cup commitments clear, but CL football again would be so tasty, so I won't weep if we exit early from the cup competitions. Ok, perhaps a little tear if it's to penalties against Man City in the quarters*

*not belittling Burton Albion disclaimer applies. 

On 26/10/2019 at 18:02, Eamonn said:

...to qualify for Europe? The UCL? To be champions? 

I saw a comment on another thread about wanting Liverpool to beat Spurs.  I'm taking it a bit out if context here (with apologies to Zaphod Beebkebrox). But  i want Spurs to win that match, to haul Liverpool back.

I don't think we will win the league.  But i think we should try and win the league.

Spurs are a bigger threat to us finishing 4th than we are to Liverpool finishing top. 

Pragmatically, I'd have wanted Spurs to lose. A draw would have been OK. 

I don't really want Liverpool to win the league it's them or Man City really. I think people giving it the old "well we won and it was 5000/1 so anything can happen" are being delusional tbh. 

We can't currently compete with those two. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Spurs are a bigger threat to us finishing 4th than we are to Liverpool finishing top. 

Pragmatically, I'd have wanted Spurs to lose. A draw would have been OK. 

I don't really want Liverpool to win the league it's them or Man City really. I think people giving it the old "well we won and it was 5000/1 so anything can happen" are being delusional tbh. 

We can't currently compete with those two. 

We can and we do.