Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Eamonn

What's our aim, this season?

I would be absolutely thrilled to qualify for the champions league - the music, the nights under the lights, so many amazing memories from last time - and agree it would be great to prove those wrong who said we’d never get there again. That’s all I really want, although I’d love to do well in one of the cups too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eamonn said:

...to qualify for Europe? The UCL? To be champions? 

I saw a comment on another thread about wanting Liverpool to beat Spurs.  I'm taking it a bit out if context here (with apologies to Zaphod Beebkebrox). But  i want Spurs to win that match, to haul Liverpool back.

I don't think we will win the league.  But i think we should try and win the league.

Aso  @FIF, you'll be Mad Not to..:rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Makes me very proud that we have these expectations with this team. It wouldn’t have been the same if we had just done a Man City and spent billions. The fact that we are competing with local lads, young players and guys like Kasper Wes n Jamie who have been here ages is amazing. 

Hence I respect Tottenham. I know they get a hard time on here but they've actually tried to compete whilst growing organically on a modest budget. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eamonn said:

...to qualify for Europe? The UCL? To be champions? 

I saw a comment on another thread about wanting Liverpool to beat Spurs.  I'm taking it a bit out if context here (with apologies to Zaphod Beebkebrox). But  i want Spurs to win that match, to haul Liverpool back.

I don't think we will win the league.  But i think we should try and win the league.

Just to quantify the perceived chances on Betfair:

We're a 1.4% implied chance of winning the league

We're an implied 37.5% of getting top four

Tottenham are an implied 36% of getting top four

Whatever result either of us are cheering for tomorrow is irrelevant as it changes nothing because we have no influence on it. We're 5th favourite for a top four finish behind the two obvious and Chelsea and Arsenal. My focus is opening a big as gap as possible over Man Utd and Tottenham and hope Chelsea and Arsenal begin to stutter. Winning it again is a pipe dream but top four is a distinct possibility.

If we can get the CL next season we can probably keep the bulk of the squad here and add to it with better quality. If we can then get top four again the season after then we have the opportunity to become a threat over the immediate future at least. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

Top 4 has to be the aim now. 

Champions League football would do absolute wonders for us at this stage of our development.

Imagine the pull we’ll have in the summer transfer window if we can offer Champions League football, a brand new training ground and Brendan as manager. Plus, it would ease fears of Maddison/Ricardo/Tielemans looking elsewhere. 

Will be very tough but looks more and more achievable as the weeks go by. 

• Like 3

Guest Eamonn
54 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Just to quantify the perceived chances on Betfair:

We're a 1.4% implied chance of winning the league

We're an implied 37.5% of getting top four

Tottenham are an implied 36% of getting top four

Whatever result either of us are cheering for tomorrow is irrelevant as it changes nothing because we have no influence on it. We're 5th favourite for a top four finish behind the two obvious and Chelsea and Arsenal. My focus is opening a big as gap as possible over Man Utd and Tottenham and hope Chelsea and Arsenal begin to stutter. Winning it again is a pipe dream but top four is a distinct possibility.

If we can get the CL next season we can probably keep the bulk of the squad here and add to it with better quality. If we can then get top four again the season after then we have the opportunity to become a threat over the immediate future at least. 

That's just Betfair's take on it, though. I appreciate they are a multi-national who spend gazillions spying on their customers.  But they'll also factor in the volume of bets for each club, which means bigger clubs will get shorter prices.

And haven't we got to be opportunistic? Man U wont always be as rubbish as they are now. Man City are less impressive this season. Liverpool have been jammy in several matches. Wouldn't glory or bust suit us better thid season? By which i mean rest Vardy et al v Burton and go for wins v Man City and L'pool over Christmas.

1 hour ago, Eamonn said:

That's just Betfair's take on it, though. I appreciate they are a multi-national who spend gazillions spying on their customers.  But they'll also factor in the volume of bets for each club, which means bigger clubs will get shorter prices.

he is on the about the betfair exchange, his post is correct, it is absolutely not what you suggest.

In fact it is where the bookies derive their odds from.

• Like 1

Ndidi,Maddison,Tielemans,Barnes,Chilwell, all 22, then  Soyu,Ricardo our aim is strangely  really mostly in their hands !!

Our aim must be to keep  them all ..!!!  Including Rodgers. We and those individuals can target and achieve Top 4,then there will be no question hopefully of them going anywhere else in the PL....

Now then if R.Madrid or Barca come a knocking..£110+ mill & History buys anybody..

WE still have not really spent (in Football terms) stupid Money on transfers.

We might Need to consider ,it will be prudent in the near future (next summer) to be prepared to up our wage bill , aiming to keep those players disinterested  in moving for financial reasons....

Top 4 finish ,would I Feel ,Keep them Away from being enticed, to Manutd,Man.city,L'pool or Chelsea ,Arsenal for at least 2 seasons.

We keep those 7 forementioned players for another 2 seasons,I believe we would of then achieved our aims,our potential, and reached our most successful era,giving us consistent CL placings,  hopefully with some silverware..!!!

Holding onto our Quality rescources,enticing then other Youngsters with quality,to want to join us should be our aim,we realise this, then our on-field ambitions & aims will automatically Click in...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1