Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

8 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

But you can certainly feel a sense of belonging with those from your area, without being carbon copies of one another

For me, the Left is being used or (misused). And I honestly think, if you get rid of all the labels that they constantly create, (some of which you've listed), this current incarnation of Labour is coercing people more and more into being unspontaneous, extremely predictable and actually very un-indiviudal, which I find highly ironic.

People should be able to agree to disagree when necessary and cherish the fact that there are differences and the healthiness of the dynamics that go with that. That is more enriching to me instead of being intimidated into agreeing for fear of being demonised disproportionately and ostracised. Or having to adopt the "If you can't beat em, join em" approach, even though many, deep down probably realise they feel hollow having to do that. 

I mean, (as a parallel to the identity thing) why do we support Leicester City? Isn't that an example (probably not the only one) of where we come together? Maybe a cheesy example, but surely more than a grain of truth in it.

...how? And why?

If you have vastly differing worldviews (not just a little different), then how and why does this feeling of shared identity become obtainable? I'm honestly curious.

4 minutes ago, Lionator said:

There’s a guardian opinion piece today stating that Labour are more bothered about taking the moral high ground than appealing to the electorate and I think that might be very true. 

Yeah.  A moral compass is something folks should have, but moral choices at the individual level don't really mean much without the power to apply them. That means winning votes, which means appealing to the electorate.

15 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

The SNP are just as bad. Feels like elements of the left really are some of the nastiest people around. (Both Labour & SNP have many decent people in their parties and voting for them too).

I know. What gets me is the behaviour of many of the MPs as well as the members and supporters. Like they can literally act like a child and then take the moral high ground in the blink of an eye, because they're so full of their own crap, they don't see (or care) how they come across or how they're adding to the poison in the left.

Diane Abbott comes to mind, the way she celebrated with a fist pump and  shouting "Yes!!! Get in!!!" When she found out Swinson had lost her seat. Just ridiculous. A supposed senior MP acting in such a stupid, immature way. No wonder so many of her followers don't feel the need to look at themselves in the mirror when she behaves like that.

It's as if you can be an arsehole, but just circumvent that by saying the word "Left" beforehand. It's just so thick.

8 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

I know. What gets me is the behaviour of many of the MPs as well as the members and supporters. Like they can literally act like a child and then take the moral high ground in the blink of an eye, because they're so full of their own crap, they don't see (or care) how they come across or how they're adding to the poison in the left.

Diane Abbott comes to mind, the way she celebrated with a fist pump and  shouting "Yes!!! Get in!!!" When she found out Swinson had lost her seat. Just ridiculous. A supposed senior MP acting in such a stupid, immature way. No wonder so many of her followers don't feel the need to look at themselves in the mirror when she behaves like that.

It's as if you can be an arsehole, but just circumvent that by saying the word "Left" beforehand. It's just so thick.

Tbf I've never heard of a left arsehole but we all know a right one.  Coincidence?

1 minute ago, Kendal Fox said:

So obvious the chick at 1:48 absolutely hates the working class. Unbelievable, the level of disingenuousness.

I think it she shows what is wrong with the new wave of labour supporters they feel that they know what is best for the working class and why wouldn't they what would the great unwashed know "I plan to go to uni don't you know". 

• Like 1

... is anti-intellectualism a thing in the UK as well as a lot of the US now, then?

Actually, no need for answers there, it's been the case for a while, I think. It's just unfortunate that the scientific experts who know what they're doing are getting caught in the crossfire because some students happen to be a bit vocal, really.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

I think it she shows what is wrong with the new wave of labour supporters they feel that they know what is best for the working class and why wouldn't they what would the great unwashed know "I plan to go to uni don't you know". 

Yes. It's the arrogance and the way they underestimated so many working class/lower middle voters.

If you say to someone that if they vote differently to you, they're a bad person and you will demonise them, you are coercing them into doing what you want. That is NOT left wing! They just didn't realise that the majority of people were smarter than they thought and had enough self respect not to be bullied. That said. the Labour party really needs to be magnanimous now and sincerely look at how and why they alienated so many.

19 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

... is anti-intellectualism a thing in the UK as well as a lot of the US now, then?

Actually, no need for answers there, it's been the case for a while, I think. It's just unfortunate that the scientific experts who know what they're doing are getting caught in the crossfire because some students happen to be a bit vocal, really.

It's the snobbish holier than thou attitude that seems to accompany it now, the whole "we know everything and we know it better than you".

The when you go against them it's the torrent of insults that come your way after it. Don't agree us on this? Racist. Don't agree with me on this? Sexist. 

I don't think a lot of these people have any idea just how vile they are to the rest of the population. 

Edited by MattP