Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

2 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

I think some of that is because they feel ignored and many have seen their quality of life get worse and worse. And I think the nationalistic thing is fear of having no identity. 

I'm probably over-simplifying but no doubt some of it is rooted in that.

And that's the bit I don't really understand. What exactly is that fear based on? A fear of being alone, perhaps?

I mean, I think you're right as there's certainly a lot of evidence for it but I really cannot understand the idea behind a collective sense of belonging with people who just so happened to share the same arbitrary patch of ground you were born in, if their own worldviews about that and other topics differ so significantly from your own. Surely a sense of belonging should come from shared beliefs, not just being born in the same place?

Kinda hoping someone who feels a strong sense of national identity can come in and explain because I honestly don't get it.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I agree, and maybe that fear of losing your identity is why there's this antipathy towards the cities where you're just one person out of hundreds of thousands, many of whom aren't English. 

But at the same time I think there's always been a lot of resentment in English society to those we see as too successful. We tell ourselves that we are a nation that rewards drive and ambition but I think it might be a bit of a myth. 

I think that's spot on, but also I think it depends on the type of success, really.

For instance, the UK tends to lionise artists and musicians and sport players (often before tearing them down tbf) but tends to treat STEM luminaries as simply "that bloke with the shed at the bottom of the garden" no matter what amount of achievement they obtain (or simply remarking on her appearance rather than her ability if it's a lady).

With respect to Boris's call (and the discussion on here) for and about unity and actually coming together...I think that expecting that right now is optimistic to the point of being naive.

Rightly or wrongly, there are quite a lot of folks in the UK right now that think the policies of the incoming government will affect ethnic minorities, LGBT folks, people with disabilities and the poor in a negative fashion, as well as Brexit being a net negative for pretty much anyone in the short and possibly the long term. Whether all or part of this is true or not doesn't really matter - as is quite clear, perception means more than what really is when it comes to politics. That strength of feeling - that their own identity is being attacked in the same way that those who believe in nationhood feel they are being attacked from the other side - is what has caused the division; the political has become personal.

No amount of words, no "just because I disagree with you politically doesn't mean I hate you" platitudes are going to fix that kind of division - only deeds will.

As such, building trust is going to take time and more importantly work, rather than simply asking for unity because an election was won.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Charl91 said:

You really don't practise what you preach do you? You're probably one of the biggest critics of "remoaners" and left-wing people on here.

I voted remain but I haven't moaned. We lost. That's democracy. I now want Brexit moved forward.

I tease some of the lefties on here but I'd have a pint with most of them because life's too short to get genuinely triggered by stuff.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

@UpTheLeagueFox

Geoff, mate, look. I don't ask for much. 

But can you please, pretty please, use your position in the media to make the following go "viral" on the old social medias?

I'm not sure if it's something you'll be into.

I think you'll agree it's what the country deserves right now.

Thanks.

x

Leave it with me...

6 hours ago, bovril said:

Liverpool's one of the most popular places in Britain, I always meet people abroad who either visited and loved it or want to visit it for all the history, music, etc. Which is great because England's reputation has taken a bit of a battering these years. 

They’ve done a great job of developing the city centre and docks. Really good place for a weekend away 

Only just seen this. Not sure how people can vote for him to be their MP. And it shows how hard it will be to reform Labour.

This is the same joker that tried to remove the mace during a House of Commons debate because he wanted to stop the proceedings. 

10 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Only just seen this. Not sure how people can vote for him to be their MP. And it shows how hard it will be to reform Labour.

This is the same joker that tried to remove the mace during a House of Commons debate because he wanted to stop the proceedings. 

There really are some nasty pieces of work in that party.

Just now, ScouseFox said:

but the EU decided to use a small amount of its money to help liverpool out, because despite it struggling it had obvious potential. 

when the tories saw liverpool struggling they tried to turn the rest of the country against us and were told to basically just ignore all the problems in the hope the city would just crumble to nothing and not be anyone’s problem anymore. 

that’s probably why we’d rather still be in europe under a labour government than have the tories try and ruin everything all over again. 

So what did labour do for Liverpool? They had been in power for 11 years before the capital of culture year. They left you to rot just like the tories.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Comes across as a modern-day Nazi in this, just look at the type of lingo and the way he moves away from the podium at the end. lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Big debate on social media about "making votes matter" and changing the FPTP system.

I'm guessing had the result been a massive Labour majority this wouldn't have been such an issue.

There is no way the tories change the voting system. Especially with anybody but the tories campaigns/hashtags etc. 
Why should they? The only people that want it, hate them. They won’t get any thanks or respect for it.

10 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Big debate on social media about "making votes matter" and changing the FPTP system.

I'm guessing had the result been a massive Labour majority this wouldn't have been such an issue.

This strawman gets trotted out a lot to get set fire to. There's a lot of people who want changes to the representation system and there have been since before Corbyn and Momentum were even anywhere near the public consciousness.

That being said, Strokes has a point in that neither the Tories nor Labour will seek to change a system that rewards them so heavily for limited representation, so if there is going to be change there it would have to come from the bottom up.

• Like 1