Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

6 minutes ago, Milo said:

To be fair, the election system is a bit shit. How can PR not be a fairer way to vote? 

Because it enables extreme parties to get a foothold. I’m not saying FPTP is a good system but there needs to be a way of making sure the likes of the BNP never get a platform.

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Because it enables extreme parties to get a foothold. I’m not saying FPTP is a good system but there needs to be a way of making sure the likes of the BNP never get a platform.

What's wrong with the BNP, weve been the only party that says what it is and is totally honest

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Big debate on social media about "making votes matter" and changing the FPTP system.

I'm guessing had the result been a massive Labour majority this wouldn't have been such an issue.

I voted Labour in this election. Not because I wanted them in charge really, but more because I didn't want the Tories in charge. So I would have been happier with the resullt being the other way round. But I've backed a change in the electoral system for years. I'm a remainer and even back in 2015 I was saying how it was ridiculos that UKIP could get so many votes and no representation.

It's not just about the main parties having to do less to get more, just look how little the SNP have to do to get 50 plus seats and compared to how many seats getting 3 or 4 times those votes get the Lib Dems

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Ophelia, one of the Nice Guys ©, is so distraught about the result of the election she’s having to go off to recover in her mum’s villa in St Lucia for a few weeks. 

The thing is, she's probably cost herself a job in the NHS with that.

The video will follow her around, no public sector and many private sector employers will touch her after that.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Ophelia, one of the Nice Guys ©, is so distraught about the result of the election she’s having to go off to recover in her mum’s villa in St Lucia for a few weeks. 

Ophelia definitely has a brother called Sebastian and a sister called Cordelia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Strokes said:

There is no way the tories change the voting system. Especially with anybody but the tories campaigns/hashtags etc. 
Why should they? The only people that want it, hate them. They won’t get any thanks or respect for it.

Yeah you are correct though it's democracy that loses out. 

Just now, LiberalFox said:

Yeah you are correct though it's democracy that loses out. 

I’m not convinced that’s true tbh.

Our political parties that have any real voice, even despite the last 3 1/2 years, is less extreme than most of Europe and western countries. For the conservatives to get any chance of power in future ‘elections’ they would need support from groups that come more from the BNP/UKIP factions and Labour would need SNP. 
I’ll stick not twist thanks.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

I’m not convinced that’s true tbh.

Our political parties that have any real voice, even despite the last 3 1/2 years, is less extreme than most of Europe and western countries. For the conservatives to get any chance of power in future ‘elections’ they would need support from groups that come more from the BNP/UKIP factions and Labour would need SNP. 
I’ll stick not twist thanks.

Funny that, all the people I know from Europe think our politics is batshit compared to their own countries and the only western democracy in the same ballpark is the US one which is a direct presidential run off with a weird electoral college system that lets the person with less votes get declared the winner. By all means support FPTP though. Remember that a more proportional representation system would look entirely different. Labour actually need to govern with the SNP more under FPTP as the SNP are getting more seats than they would under PR.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

But we had a referendum on changing the system and the democratic decision was taken to leave it as it is.

As for the protests against the result have the left learnt nothing from the kicking they took in the labour heartlands. When we have voted we have voted end of.

yCyLv.jpg

Yeah, it had lots of similarities with the Brexit campaign really.

• Thanks 1

Yeah basically all the people I know who are somewhat politics nerds compared to the general population voted in favour of AV but I think it was another example of Clegg's (and wider Lib Dem) naivety. For one thing the Labour party had indicated they would back AV, but in reality although then leader Ed Milliband did endorse it, the majority of the PLP including most of their best known figures came out for the no campaign. 

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Absolutely wow at this girl. These people really are an embarrassment to the UK. 

• Thanks 1

Something I did miss the other day, the new guy in Bosworth put on 7%, probably highlighting the dislike of Tredinnick. It's also now the 18th biggest Con majority meaning Leicestershire (and Rutland) has 2 of the top 20. Lincolnshire (3) and Essex (5) Hampshire (2) also have more than one.

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Blue-fox said:

Absolutely wow at this girl. These people really are an embarrassment to the UK. 

My girls aren’t far away from that ...... I have to remind them constantly that real life isn’t the sims or the kardashians. .... that promises won’t be kept by all sides ....

the problem that the youth have is that they have no experience of what happens when people make promises that simply won’t be kept...

with no effort put in.  Your family try their best for you....l it doesn’t necessarily work out but they really care and they really try ..... that their experience ....the idea that Corbyn wouldn’t have been able to all the wonderful things he promised never entered their heads .... it’s much easier to demonise the nasty tories (and it’s clear how the middle/upper classes fall for it as they have suffered much less disappointment in their lives) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

The vote share increase/decrease date in correlation to seats won/lost was interesting 

Overall I read the results of a damning rejection of Corbyn rather than a ringing endorsement of Boris 

I used to be a Labour voter, (don't ask because I'm not going to answer,) but utterly detest them these days, I do not like the Tories but they get my vote over the red pile of shite as they currently stand, just a shame the LibDems are an almost constantly wasted vote.

• Like 4