Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Starmer Next Labour Leader

36 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

And I've got my head far enough out of the sand to know that more working class folk voted Conservative than Labour in December

Plenty of working class Tories about nowdays:wub:

EDIT: Forgot to add, why do these MPs not check their sources before openingly retweeting and endorsing them, embarrassing.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

EDIT: Forgot to add, why do these MPs not check their sources before openingly retweeting and endorsing them, embarrassing.

Have you not seen people over the age of 45 use social media before? lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

I'm not arguing in favour or against the government, I have no idea why you have made a long and verbose post that seems to think I am.

Public confidence in the government is actually high if you look at any polling on it. You might think it is shot but no evidence suggests it is.

Nowhere in my post did I say that you were either in favour or against the Government.

You literally wrote "your side would be pissing themselves..." in your previous post, implying I am some staunch Labor party voter that votes for them come hell or high-water, which I am not. I have no affiliation to any political party.

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

Public confidence in the government is actually high if you look at any polling on it. You might think it is shot but no evidence suggests it is.

There is evidence to show that faith in the government has declined in recent weeks. However, I will accept that these drop in ratings are a far cry from "shot" and are still positive overall.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/keir-starmer-boris-johnson-approval-rating-yougov-opinion-poll-survey-a9511611.html

The acid test for the government will no doubt come later in the year as we try to recover from lockdown measures and to rebuild the economy.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If you're talking about Nadine Dorries then she almost certainly knew it was incorrect. She retweets it and then deletes the tweet. She appears to have made a mistake but of course hundreds will have seen and believed the tweet. 

I notice none of the three involved have actually apologised.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

If you're talking about Nadine Dorries then she almost certainly knew it was incorrect. She retweets it and then deletes the tweet. She appears to have made a mistake but of course hundreds will have seen and believed the tweet. 

Some people on here have been quiet too :ph34r:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Sadly both sides are guilty of doing this, politicians and their supporters.

Twitter, as someone said earlier, is quite the sewer these days.

I think Tories wanking themselves into a coma over their poll lead are massively missing the point of where we are.

Who could possibly have predicted, even in January, where we'd be now? How can we predict where we'll be in August or September, let alone 2024?

The reality is that the only things we can reasonably predict are the kinds of challenges that would give a competent government headaches, let alone this one. 

Furlough and business loans are two of the very few successes this government has had, but the reality is that it'll need to be paid for. How's that going to happen in the recession Sunak has already admitted to be a certainty? Massive borrowing and/or austerity look likely. 

Then there's the sole reason why many voted Tory - Brexit. It's been pushed to the background for obvious reasons, but December isn't as far away as it seems. A No Deal Brexit on top of a Covid-induced recession seems unlikely to have a happy outcome. Lower growth, a reduction in the UK's credit rating and subsequent rise in the cost of the already significant borrowing and yet more unemployment after the likely spike in business closures this summer are, again, unlikely to increase poll ratings. 

A public enquiry seems inevitable, and Starmer is clearly building a case already. The care home scandal isn't going away, and No. 10 have thus far failed to mount an adequate defence of a litany of lethal failures. This is just the tip of the iceberg and, when the emotion of the situation makes way for a more objective analysis of what went wrong, that's another challenge for the government. 

Add in the fact that even the Tory press are writing glowing editorials as to Starmer's weekly target practice over the Dispatch Box and a much more competent comms department than ever existed under Corbyn, together with the embarrassingly weak attempts at smearing him so far, and it's difficult to imagine Tory HQ being anything like as complacent as some of their more vociferous cheerleaders. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I think Tories wanking themselves into a coma over their poll lead are massively missing the point of where we are.

Who could possibly have predicted, even in January, where we'd be now? How can we predict where we'll be in August or September, let alone 2024?

The reality is that the only things we can reasonably predict are the kinds of challenges that would give a competent government headaches, let alone this one. 

Furlough and business loans are two of the very few successes this government has had, but the reality is that it'll need to be paid for. How's that going to happen in the recession Sunak has already admitted to be a certainty? Massive borrowing and/or austerity look likely. 

Then there's the sole reason why many voted Tory - Brexit. It's been pushed to the background for obvious reasons, but December isn't as far away as it seems. A No Deal Brexit on top of a Covid-induced recession seems unlikely to have a happy outcome. Lower growth, a reduction in the UK's credit rating and subsequent rise in the cost of the already significant borrowing and yet more unemployment after the likely spike in business closures this summer are, again, unlikely to increase poll ratings. 

A public enquiry seems inevitable, and Starmer is clearly building a case already. The care home scandal isn't going away, and No. 10 have thus far failed to mount an adequate defence of a litany of lethal failures. This is just the tip of the iceberg and, when the emotion of the situation makes way for a more objective analysis of what went wrong, that's another challenge for the government. 

Add in the fact that even the Tory press are writing glowing editorials as to Starmer's weekly target practice over the Dispatch Box and a much more competent comms department than ever existed under Corbyn, together with the embarrassingly weak attempts at smearing him so far, and it's difficult to imagine Tory HQ being anything like as complacent as some of their more vociferous cheerleaders. 

Wanking ourselves into a coma lol You’ve just described yourself over a few PMQs.

There’s along road ahead and if your picture of absolute misery does even remotely come to fruition, Starmer is welcome to it. It’ll be like Brown passing the shitty stick to Cameron and we will see very quickly whether a good lawyer can run a country, with no money with a falling credit rating.

12 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Wanking ourselves into a coma lol You’ve just described yourself over a few PMQs.

There’s along road ahead and if your picture of absolute misery does even remotely come to fruition, Starmer is welcome to it. It’ll be like Brown passing the shitty stick to Cameron and we will see very quickly whether a good lawyer can run a country, with no money with a falling credit rating.

You'd be quite happy to see the country implode just to undermine a future Labour government? Wow.

Just now, StanSP said:

All the 3 tits from the Tory party that shared the video have been told is to just 'check validity of the posts'.

Not even been told to apologise (even though they should have already). Pathetic.

Well all of us do that on here don’t we :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

yeah but we're not in positions of some power. We can probably get away with it lol 

Why should it be anymore acceptable for us than them? Doing it on here and and any social media can soon reach a pretty big audience. At least if it’s MPs there is always someone to shoot them down publicly. 
It won’t make the headlines if someone politely points out errors in StanSP post.

Edited by Strokes

In fairness, none of the three are exactly known for their towering intellect at the best of times. Lucy Allan faked a death threat and Nadine Dorries was embarrassed by a politics teacher over WhatsApp.

The more worrying thing is the lack of action from their party; in an era where fake news travels fast despite the need for accurate information in a time of crisis, No. 10 really ought to have clamped down harder on a government minister retweeting a far-right Twitter account making claims about the LOTO that were tantamount to libel. Shows a worrying lack of control and disdain for the truth.

• Like 1

The fact Nadine Dorries is even a government minister is a disgrace, let alone the minister for suicide prevention and mental health. I'm certain there's a tonne of Tories on the backbenches who could do that job title more justice than she ever could.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The fact Nadine Dorries is even a government minister is a disgrace, let alone the minister for suicide prevention and mental health. I'm certain there's a tonne of Tories on the backbenches who could do that job title more justice than she ever could.  

The trouble is that I'm not sure there are. A lot of the talent has been purged for not having the 'correct' Brexit position as their 2019 campaign was primarily predicated on exactly that. It's given the Tories a more unified party than they've had in years, perhaps even my lifetime, but also arguably its least talented. 

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Sadly both sides are guilty of doing this, politicians and their supporters.

Twitter, as someone said earlier, is quite the sewer these days.

I agree that both sides are guilty but child abuse is a new low.

14 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

I agree that both sides are guilty but child abuse is a new low.

I was going to say.

Labour exaggerating the likelihood of the Tories selling the NHS in the last election was a mistake, and not an honest one. Part of a weak campaign. 

Retweeting a heavily (and badly) edited video that essentially accuses the LOTO of victim blaming survivors of CSE, when survivors groups have praised him for reaching out more than any other DPP, is egregious beyond belief. Dirty politics and calls into question their ethics, critical thinking in the face of flawed information and empathy towards those affected by CSE.

The more you think about it, the more baffling it is that No. 10 has barely acted.

Edited by Bilo
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I was going to say.

Labour exaggerating the likelihood of the Tories selling the NHS in the last election was a mistake, and not an honest one. Part of a weak campaign. 

Retweeting a heavily (and badly) edited video that essentially accuses the LOTO of victim blaming survivors of CSE, when survivors groups have praised him for reaching out more than any other DPP, is egregious beyond belief. Dirty politics and calls into question their ethics, critical thinking in the face of flawed information and empathy towards those affected by CSE.

The more you think about it, the more baffling it is that No. 10 has barely acted.

More dastardly deeds from the Rasputin like Dominic Cummings?

I've seen it repeated on other sites. 

James O' Brien on LBC says something along the lines of seeing a lie in the media when he wakes up and before he can get his trousers on it's halfway round the world.

There's a reason why they haven't apologised.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

More dastardly deeds from the Rasputin like Dominic Cummings?

I've seen it repeated on other sites. 

James O' Brien on LBC says something along the lines of seeing a lie in the media when he wakes up and before he can get his trousers on it's halfway round the world.

There's a reason why they haven't apologised.

In a perverse way, it's almost encouraging for Labour that the only dirt they've thus far got on Starmer has been so weak or even completely invented. 

The muckrakers had all they needed on Corbyn before he'd finished his acceptance speech; and the more they dug, the more they found.

It does mean that the Tories will get more and more unethical as Johnson's personal ratings fall and Starmer's rise, and there are few people in politics with less of a moral compass than Cummings, but outright lies like this are far more easily countered than awkward truths as with Corbyn. 

• Like 3