Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Starmer Next Labour Leader

16 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Are we still allowed to post polls?

Regardless of political persuasion, I genuinely cannot see how anyone could look favourably at the government's response to this. Even if my Facebook feed is full of people expressing their sympathy for Johnson. 

• Like 3

I'll refer back to what I've said before- the Tory press have **** all on Starmer, hence these increasingly desperate headlines.

With Corbyn, they had all they needed to bury him before he'd finished his acceptance speech. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sdb said:

Regardless of political persuasion, I genuinely cannot see how anyone could look favourably at the government's response to this. Even if my Facebook feed is full of people expressing their sympathy for Johnson. 

The Tories' problem is that it's a government built purely to 'get Brexit done' and win the 2019 election. Drill down below that, and the substance is very limited. That, sadly, is beginning to show now. 

2 hours ago, Bilo said:

The Tories' problem is that it's a government built purely to 'get Brexit done' and win the 2019 election. Drill down below that, and the substance is very limited. That, sadly, is beginning to show now. 

It was the number 1 subject. And as far as other policies we wont know this virus has changed a lot, but you have to agreed the financial aid given during this crisis is closer to what you would have expected from labour than tory.

3 hours ago, Bilo said:

I don't know about that, there were ambitious plans revealed in the last budget.  I may be in a minority, especially in this thread, but I had high hopes for this government.

We will never know now.  Johnson's tenure will just be about damage limitation rather than ambition now.

1 hour ago, twoleftfeet said:

It was the number 1 subject. And as far as other policies we wont know this virus has changed a lot, but you have to agreed the financial aid given during this crisis is closer to what you would have expected from labour than tory.

33 minutes ago, murphy said:

I don't know about that, there were ambitious plans revealed in the last budget.  I may be in a minority, especially in this thread, but I had high hopes for this government.

We will never know now.  Johnson's tenure will just be about damage limitation rather than ambition now.

Neither of which bode well for the Tories. 

The first is a policy that Labour could rightly pin as being their territory, and it's been just about the only real success of this government so far, and Johnson leading a government trying to limit damage is the exact opposite of what he and his persona are about. 

Guest MattP
22 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

🤔

19 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I knew they, and more were on here, just hadn't got round to looking for them. Remember, approval ratings don't matter unless they are good for Boris and Trump.

In America they have a Presidential system which is "effectively" a two party one bar the odd voter for the Greens or Libertarians. 

Here you have a multi party parliamentary system where people generally vote on party lines, as others have mentioned cabinet members can have just as much of a deleterious effect on public opinion of their party (Labour Diane Abbott for example) as the leader can.

So approval ratings do matter far more over the Atlantic than they do here. They even do that question on the exit polls in the State. We obviously wouldn't. 

Edited by MattP

Guest MattP
14 hours ago, murphy said:

The Tories don't care about fiscal responsibility anymore.

The plan is spend, borrow, spend and if it goes tits up just say Labour would have blown more anyway.

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

In America they have a Presidential system which is "effectively" a two party one bar the odd voter for the Greens or Libertarians. 

Here you have a multi party parliamentary system where people generally vote on party lines, as others have mentioned cabinet members can have just as much of a deleterious effect on public opinion of their party (Labour Diane Abbott for example) as the leader can.

So approval ratings do matter far more over the Atlantic than they do here. They even do that question on the exit polls in the State. We obviously wouldn't. 

My perception is that the character of the party leader has played an increasingly important part in recent UK elections. From time to time the party leader has been key (Thatcher, Blair) but the personas of Major and Cameron didn’t appear to be as significant. 

As bad as Corbyn was,  May was so dour and uninspiring that she didn’t muster the support that she anticipated.

Although the Brexit issue was key Boris’s charisma and positive energy was a significant factor last time as was the “I couldn’t possibly vote for Corbyn” stance taken by a lot of “ traditional” labour voters. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bilo said:

Tory lead down from 20 points to 12 in under a month.

Interesting to see.

FB_IMG_1589817503908.jpg

Not especially. The party in power is managing a pandemic, of course they get pelters :dunno:

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not especially. The party in power is managing a pandemic, of course they get pelters :dunno:

It increased significantly in the early stage though. Parties in power usually tend to see an increase in polls during a unexpected crisis 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

It increased significantly in the early stage though. Parties in power usually tend to see an increase in polls during a unexpected crisis 

Maybe, but there are a lot of people who have died in this one and lockdown fatigue and anxiety has kicked in big time.

Or maybe Mr Starmer is the real deal :dunno: Bit early to crown him Lord Protector yet I feel.

It's worth pointing out that Blair's approval rating jumped 20 points overnight after the 7/7 terror attacks, despite having been in power for eight years and in the midst of the disastrous Iraq War. George W Bush enjoyed approval ratings of over 80% for months after 9/11 as well, with his approval ratings having been around 51% in the days before.

That the Tories are in the midst of the biggest national crisis since the Blitz and have only a 12 point lead must be worrying for them, as a dip is always inevitable in these circumstances.

Edited by Bilo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

My perception is that the character of the party leader has played an increasingly important part in recent UK elections. From time to time the party leader has been key (Thatcher, Blair) but the personas of Major and Cameron didn’t appear to be as significant. 

As bad as Corbyn was,  May was so dour and uninspiring that she didn’t muster the support that she anticipated.

Although the Brexit issue was key Boris’s charisma and positive energy was a significant factor last time as was the “I couldn’t possibly vote for Corbyn” stance taken by a lot of “ traditional” labour voters. 

And as someone who couldn't vote for him and Dianne Abbott and their 70's brand of policies I think Keir has some work to do and I don't see him having made money and been successful outside of parliament as a bad thing. He has to pick his battles wisely, granted the handling of this crisis has been a sh1t show but and this is the thing when I talk to colleagues they aren't convinced that  Labour would have faired any better, with the two clowns in charge. 

13 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

And as someone who couldn't vote for him and Dianne Abbott and their 70's brand of policies I think Keir has some work to do and I don't see him having made money and been successful outside of parliament as a bad thing. He has to pick his battles wisely, granted the handling of this crisis has been a sh1t show but and this is the thing when I talk to colleagues they aren't convinced that  Labour would have faired any better, with the two clowns in charge. 

I don’t follow your last sentence - do you mean without the two clowns in charge ie Corbyn and Abbott ? 
Brexit was the key factor in the last election and Labour had next to no position in relation to that. That was linked to Corbyn’s failure of leadership and persona which was a significant handicap for Labour.
Boris had the potential to harm his own cause far more than Corbyn could have and by swerving scrutiny he was able to ensure that he didn’t jeopardise the win IMO 

5 hours ago, Bilo said:

Tory lead down from 20 points to 12 in under a month.

Interesting to see.

FB_IMG_1589817503908.jpg

To be consistent, I don’t find polls to be of much use, especially just the one. Starmer has still got to strike the balance and decide his approach once the smoke is settled. 

That said, I think he’s done as well as any new leader could up until now. Hopefully he keeps this up and we see a strong opposition off the back of the pandemic, that’s the time when we’ll need one most of all.

It's looking very grim for the Tories, only being on 47% and only having a 12 point lead in this one poll.

Exciting times for Labour though, up 3% from the GE in December as opposed to the Tories who are, ummmm, up 3 1/2 % from the GE.

Truly astonishing times.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest MattP
5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

It's looking very grim for the Tories, only being on 47% and only having a 12 point lead in this one poll.

Exciting times for Labour though, up 3% from the GE in December as opposed to the Tories who are, ummmm, up 3 1/2 % from the GE.

Truly astonishing times.

IMG_20200519_080217.jpg

Guest MattP
33 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah its happening all over the world, look at the terrible press Jacinda's getting, the bitch.

If only Boris have moved Britain to the edge of the World, removed our status as a global travel hub, expanded the land mass of the country so density wasn't a problem and culled about 60 million people before this is all started he could have been a hero just like her.