Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

3 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Likewise I wonder what the reaction will be when the EU embarks on its next wave of ever closer union in the next couple of years. As long as the difference is in counterfactual rather than perceived reality, it'll be hard to argue that Brexit was a bad choice at that moment. 

I guess the argument then will be like Thatcher's in the original referendum I believe, that we will be strongly influenced by the EU without having any say in how its run. I liked the idea of the UK in the EU as a counterbalance to the ideologues. Although I accept that was a situation that probably couldn't have lasted much longer anyway.

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

In "Brexit means different things to different people" news:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-51341735

So yes, not entirely a strawman. Hopefully stuff like this will be kept to a minimum but I don't think it will be stopped from happening completely, nor will it just remain words in all circumstances.

Any change brings out the ****wits.

22 hours ago, Lionator said:

To be honest, aside from the 5% of hysterical leavers and 5% of hysterical remainers, who are both as embarrassing as each other, I don't think the majority have an emotional attachment to Brexit. I'm a young remainer, I wanted to keep free movement, the opportunity to live and work in Europe at the drop of a hat, I like the idea of being part of a power bloc with France and Germany. However the majority don't and Brexit had to happen.

It's now up to the leavers to own it now, as everything points to us being worse off. No more blaming the EU, no more blaming remoaners. It's your Brexit. 

No, it’s everyone’s Brexit, that’s how it works.  You don’t get to cross your arms and wait for things to go wrong - you have to work with it.  If you want to work in France you find out how you can; If you are committed to European products you pay a little more for them; If your employer suffers you help them change or you find another job.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

No, it’s everyone’s Brexit, that’s how it works.  You don’t get to cross your arms and wait for things to go wrong - you have to work with it.  If you want to work in France you find out how you can; If you are committed to European products you pay a little more for them; If your employer suffers you help them change or you find another job.

With respect, Jon, I remember you saying the same thing to me the day after the election (though in rather harsher terms IIRC).

It wasn't true then and it isn't now; those who don't believe in the path being taken have every right not to support it, which is different from actively seeking to sabotage it. Of course, those who do believe in it have every right to call them out for it and chide them for their lack of belief and tell them that it would be better if they helped, but there is no authoritarian ruling that they must do so here and it would be terrible if there was - and I'd say the same if the positions were inverted.

I know that unity would probably be a good thing right now, and at a lot of other times too as humans are so much better when they collaborate rather than confront, but expecting it at this point in time is a bit naive IMO.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Former European Council president Donald Tusk says Brussels feels "empathy" towards an independent Scotland joining the European Union.

Nicola Sturgeon has said an independent Scotland would seek full EU membership.

When asked if this would be looked upon favourably, Mr Tusk said, "emotionally I have no doubt that everyone will be enthusiastic".

Wonder if he would welcome Boris encouraging Catalonia and other separatist movements to push for independence?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

More Project Fear lies falling apart.

https://amp.ft.com/content/c4f0d1e2-4442-11ea-a43a-c4b328d9061c?__twitter_impression=true

Nissan has drawn up a plan to pull out of mainland Europe if Brexit leads to tariffs on car exports — but to double down on the UK, where the Japanese company believes it could sell one in five cars.

Two people involved in the discussions said the contingency plan, drawn up late last year, would see Nissan close its struggling Barcelona van facility and stop manufacturing in France.

Under the scenario, the Sunderland plant in the UK would be maintained as part of an audacious attempt to steal market share from other carmakers.

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

More Project Fear lies falling apart.

https://amp.ft.com/content/c4f0d1e2-4442-11ea-a43a-c4b328d9061c?__twitter_impression=true

Nissan has drawn up a plan to pull out of mainland Europe if Brexit leads to tariffs on car exports — but to double down on the UK, where the Japanese company believes it could sell one in five cars.

Two people involved in the discussions said the contingency plan, drawn up late last year, would see Nissan close its struggling Barcelona van facility and stop manufacturing in France.

Under the scenario, the Sunderland plant in the UK would be maintained as part of an audacious attempt to steal market share from other carmakers.

This is what I talked about not long after the referendum, Nissan sell about 600,000 cars a year across the EU. We buy 2.5m cars a year in this country. The government should encourage people to buy things manufactured in this country by subsidies using the money created from import tax.

There needs to be benefits to investing in this country, it’s a huge market and if the EU cut us out of the single market we will need to be ruthless.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

EU willing to grant UK access to Galileo provided the UK reciprocates with its equivalent system.

63304942-E93C-4CC9-8796-8A1336EF0E39.png

....they might be waiting a while on that equivalent system, tbh. What happens in the meantime, I wonder?

Well, at least that's one area of scientific collaboration that isn't going to get totally shafted.

Just now, leicsmac said:

....they might be waiting a while on that equivalent system, tbh. What happens in the meantime, I wonder?

Well, at least that's one area of scientific collaboration that isn't going to get totally shafted.

The government always said it wanted to remain in these sort of collaborative projects.

People just weren't interested in listening.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

The government always said it wanted to remain in these sort of collaborative projects.

People just weren't interested in listening.

I hear that, but words are cheap - I'll believe it when it's clearly shown that UK scientists have equal footing in terms of collaboration when this is all done as they did before it. Guess only time will tell there.

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

This is what I talked about not long after the referendum, Nissan sell about 600,000 cars a year across the EU. We buy 2.5m cars a year in this country. The government should encourage people to buy things manufactured in this country by subsidies using the money created from import tax.

There needs to be benefits to investing in this country, it’s a huge market and if the EU cut us out of the single market we will need to be ruthless.

With the rumours Boris is planning on bringing the diesel/petrol ban forward then it is time to back it 100%, get Nissan producing the leaf here, get the foundations for an electrical network for cars down and get the subsidies back to make it affordable for the people and worth Nissan's while. It's the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. 

8 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

With the rumours Boris is planning on bringing the diesel/petrol ban forward then it is time to back it 100%, get Nissan producing the leaf here, get the foundations for an electrical network for cars down and get the subsidies back to make it affordable for the people and worth Nissan's while. It's the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. 

Yeah if we force through acceleration of the electrification of our road vehicles, we could really steal a march on what is looking like an inevitable path anyway.

Hopefully we can ask them to make the leaf a bit more pleasant on the eye then too. :revenge:

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Presumably, Laura Kuenssberg would be happy to have gate-crashers, if she held a party. Tbh, who'd want to attend a party hosted by her anyway? 

It's not a party though, is it? It's a briefing by a senior civil servant, the kind which has been attended until now by journalists from all national media outlets - not just those hand-picked by Downing Street. Even those who were invited took part in the walk out.