Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

9 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Absolutely mental how many people have fallen for it. That's Twitter for you though - people more interested in point-scoring for whichever side they happen to be on that fact-checking...

It's extraordinary. I've been stupid enough to try to convince them it's a joke, but they're not having any of it. Whoever is behind Colin deserves a few celebratory pints this evening...

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Incredible the amount of people that have bitten at that tweet. 

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It's extraordinary. I've been stupid enough to try to convince them it's a joke, but they're not having any of it. Whoever is behind Colin deserves a few celebratory pints this evening...

A lot of people who absolutely should know better too, not just your usual #FBPE types who'll clasp at anything they can find to reassure each other that they are absolutely definitely smarter than everyone else on the internet.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

That is class lol

The funny thing is when Brexiteers make a claim to some good news, the 'told you so' people will be going 'we haven't left properly yet'. 

Nah the funny thing is that the people crowing about gullible remoaners based on the musings of a few randomers on twitter have almost certainly pointed out in the past that authentically idiotic Brexiteer tweets aren't representative of them and the entire cross-section of society that voted the same way because they're... the musings of a few randomers on twitter.

Edited by Carl the Llama

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Is it written down somewhere that Twitter account is a parody, then? People seem very sure.

There's absolutely zero evidence corroborating the story or any other online footprint for Colin.

Even if he is real, the media reporting it as fact without actually checking have been so reckless.

33 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

There's absolutely zero evidence corroborating the story or any other online footprint for Colin.

Even if he is real, the media reporting it as fact without actually checking have been so reckless.

Everything about that account screams ‘parody’ to me. Apparently in the early days some of the photos he posted of places he claimed to be still had their watermarks from where he’d nicked them off the internet.

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Everything about that account screams ‘parody’ to me. Apparently in the early days some of the photos he posted of places he claimed to be still had their watermarks from where he’d nicked them off the internet.

No disagreement there, the balance of probability is that it is a Poe, I was curious as to whether it was definitive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51543521

Average weekly wages in the UK have returned to pre-economic crisis levels for the first time since March 2008.

Weekly pay reached £511 in the three months to December - the last time they were this high, after adjusting for inflation, was before the downturn.

Excluding bonuses, earnings grew at an annual rate of 3.2% in the three-month period, official figures show.

0Ccwb.jpg

1 hour ago, Milo said:

So what’s the score with the ESA post-Brexit @leicsmac

Did I hear something today saying that the UK is going to increase its funding - I thought we were being kicked out??!! 

Any insight? 

The UK is investing around £2bn over the next 5 years. It's also not an EU institution, so there's no threat of us leaving or being kicked out.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Beechey said:

The UK is investing around £2bn over the next 5 years. It's also not an EU institution, so there's no threat of us leaving or being kicked out.

Wasn’t really the pre-Brexit narrative, though, was it?! 

Good news anyway

2 hours ago, Milo said:

So what’s the score with the ESA post-Brexit @leicsmac

Did I hear something today saying that the UK is going to increase its funding - I thought we were being kicked out??!! 

Any insight? 

Well, if you heard that it certainly wasn't from me or any credible source seeing as Beechey above has it right.

However, reduction in freedom of movement might have something of an effect on the landscape when it comes to ESA work, and some other projects - notably ones involved in Horizon 2020 where there is security-related information involved, will be heavily affected by Brexit.

I'd have to say overall that Brexit is likely going to be a net negative in terms of UK scientific collaboration with Europe (and perhaps the wider world) - but worse than some might say, and better than others might say.

23 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Immigration: No visas for low-skilled workers, government says

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51550421

Also included is a points-based system.

The Home Office said EU and non-EU citizens coming to the UK would be treated equally after UK-EU free movement ends on 31 December.

Hallelujah!

16 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The Home Office said EU and non-EU citizens coming to the UK would be treated equally after UK-EU free movement ends on 31 December.

Hallelujah!

Also interesting to point out that the cap on high-skilled workers has been lifted as well

Edited by Finnaldo

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

Good to see the cap on high-skilled workers has been lifted. Never been so sure why Brits are so terrified of low-skilled workers, we seem to be unique amongst developed countries for wanting to reserve the worst jobs for ourselves. 

Because not all brits are smart enough to be anything more than labourers. My brother for example, thick as two short planks. He now has a fighting chance of not being treated like absolute excess shit because the companies that run on minimum wage labour will now have to fight for the people available instead of just shipping (or flying) them in. 

I worked at argos for years while funding my education, the agency that ran my contract's favourite saying after being cvnts was "if you don't want the job, there's 10 other people who do". Past time these parasites were made extinct and companies like argos had to offer permanent contracts, with all the benefits they get, again. 

38 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Hallelujah!

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokeswoman Christine Jardine said the proposals were based on "xenophobia". lollollol

Anyone just see that Blonde woman on Newsnight?, talk about a cliché, funny how she mentioned there's no education (whatever that means) she's certainly proof of that, then when confronted with facts she dismisses them.

Give me an immigrant over the likes of her any day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Anyone just see that Blonde woman on Newsnight?, talk about a cliché, funny how she mentioned there's no education (whatever that means) she's certainly proof of that, then when confronted with facts she dismisses them.

Give me an immigrant over the likes of her any day.

It’d be pretty bad for the economy I’d have thought if we immediately stopped letting anybody in lol