Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

Truly world class LCFC players

There have been recent threads asking if Vardy is World class, and there is an excellent case to be made for Ricardo to be put into that bracket too. For what its worth, on current form I would probably put them both into that bracket. I know there is an argument that to be called truly world class, a player has to have done it at that level, but using that yardstick then, Messi is not world class as he has never managed to turn it on at a world cup.

Anyway, it got me to thinking, whilst we have had some truly gifted players over the years, how many have we had that could we could claim were the best of the best in their time.

I can actually think of only three (Mancini was undoubtedly world class in his prime but we only had him for a handful of games at the end of his playing career so I do not count him)

Banks

Shilton

Lineker

When you consider that we potentially have two in our current side think on that.

I am sure there are others who some would consider world class and would be interested to hear others opinions 

Guest An Sionnach
9 minutes ago, urban fox said:

There have been recent threads asking if Vardy is World class, and there is an excellent case to be made for Ricardo to be put into that bracket too. For what its worth, on current form I would probably put them both into that bracket. I know there is an argument that to be called truly world class, a player has to have done it at that level, but using that yardstick then, Messi is not world class as he has never managed to turn it on at a world cup.

Anyway, it got me to thinking, whilst we have had some truly gifted players over the years, how many have we had that could we could claim were the best of the best in their time.

I can actually think of only three (Mancini was undoubtedly world class in his prime but we only had him for a handful of games at the end of his playing career so I do not count him)

Banks

Shilton

Lineker

When you consider that we potentially have two in our current side think on that.

I am sure there are others who some would consider world class and would be interested to hear others opinions 

International football is no yardstick to judge whether a player is world class. Most of it is awful and can even reduce a genius like Messi to mundanity. Consistent brilliance in the Champions League is the best way of telling. The South American championship is of a lower standard but still top class.

Edited by An Sionnach

I think Ricardo is amazing but think it's way too soon to say he is World Class, he's only played twice for Portugal this year and 7 times in total.  I don't think that's the only yardstick to measure it on but it seems fair in his case and a lot of Leicester fans weren't won over for parts of last season, needs to do it a bit longer for me. I think Ndidi is a better shout.

Edited by bmt
  • Like 1

For me recent players that are close, and ignoring Cambiasso as he wasn't when he played for us:

- Kante

- Vardy

- Ndidi

- Mahrez

Honestly think Soyuncu isn't a million miles off but need to judge that at the end of the season. Hopefully him, Ricardo, and maybe Maddison, Tielemans and Chilwell will break into that.

OOPS forgot Kante. Definitely is on the list

And I agree that we also have a few (wilf, madders soyuncu) that could make it into that bracket too if they continue to develop at their current rates. Not sure about Mahrez, definitely a class act but inconsistent

7 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

International football is no yardstick to judge whether a player is world class. Most of it is awful and can even reduce a genius like Messi to mundanity. Consistent brilliance in the Champions League is the best way of telling. The South American championship is of a lower standard but still top class.

Frank McLintock

Esteban Cambiasso

Players near WC in their time.

David Gibson

Stan Colleymore

Keith Weller

Auther Rowley

Don Revie

Dereck Hines

Colin Appleton

David Nish

Frank Worthington

Steve Whitworth

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bmt said:

I think Ricardo is amazing but think it's way too soon to say he is World Class, he's only played twice for Portugal this year and 7 times in total.  I don't think that's the only yardstick to measure it on but it seems fair in his case and a lot of Leicester fans weren't won over for parts of last season, needs to do it a bit longer for me. I think Ndidi is a better shout.

He was fans and players' player of the year last year, I think it's fair to say fans were won over for the last 3/4 of the season. He is incredible and surely has to be a Portugal regular from now on

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
6 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

Frank McLintock

Esteban Cambiasso

Players near WC in their time.

David Gibson

Stan Colleymore

Keith Weller

Auther Rowley

Don Revie

Dereck Hines

Colin Appleton

David Nish

Frank Worthington

Steve Whitworth

Some of these look a bit dodgy but in the early sixties we had Banks, McLintock,Appleton and Gibson of the very highest class. Just a pity that Spurs were even better.

13 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

He was fans and players' player of the year last year, I think it's fair to say fans were won over for the last 3/4 of the season. He is incredible and surely has to be a Portugal regular from now on

He was still complained about regularly early doors, which was more my point. I know his form afterwards was very good. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said, but don't think that makes him world class. 

For me world class are players that should be considered for World XI squads, not necessarily starting but in the extended squad. 

Kanté

Ricardo

I'd say Vardy and Mahrez probably fall in the bracket below. Capable of 10/10 performances but can often dish out ineffective performances. Could be down to the fact they're attacking players and less chance to have an influence on every game.

Kante and Ricardo are 8/10 every game at least. Always standout players, that for me is world class.