Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

Truly world class LCFC players

34 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Some of these look a bit dodgy but in the early sixties we had Banks, McLintock,Appleton and Gibson of the very highest class. Just a pity that Spurs were even better.

Derek Hines scored 116 goals for the Foxes (4 in a match once), he forged a prolific strike partnership with Aurther Rowley (236 in 8 years at Foxes)

Guest An Sionnach
Just now, Dorkingfox said:

Derek Hines scored 116 goals for the Foxes (4 in a match once), he forged a prolific strike partnership with Aurther Rowley (236 in 8 years at Foxes)

True but many were in division 2. Having said that Arthur was one of the most powerful strikers ever. Pity he couldn't run but once he had rumbled into position he was devastating.

12 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

True but many were in division 2. Having said that Arthur was one of the most powerful strikers ever. Pity he couldn't run but once he had rumbled into position he was devastating.

But what level were leagues in other countries like at the time?

39 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Kanté

Ricardo

I'd say Vardy and Mahrez probably fall in the bracket below. Capable of 10/10 performances but can often dish out ineffective performances. Could be down to the fact they're attacking players and less chance to have an influence on every game.

Kante and Ricardo are 8/10 every game at least. Always standout players, that for me is world class.

Couldn’t agree more !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Banks 

Shilton

Lineker 

Kante

Are the only Truly world class players we have had.

RM

Vardy

Ndidi

Ricardo 

Are all very good players and have been for leicester as a club but none would make a world 11 or come anywhere near and that has to be the yardstick for world class. 

Not saying my Knowledge of European football is partically great, but is there really a better right back in Europe better than Ricardo ? If so, he must be a bloody good full back..

Just now, themightyfin said:

Banks 

Shilton

Lineker 

Kante

Are the only Truly world class players we have had.

RM

Vardy

Ndidi

Ricardo 

Are all very good players and have been for leicester as a club but none would make a world 11 or come anywhere near and that has to be the yardstick for world class. 

A good point but have to disagree somewhat. You can have more than one world class player for any given position but they cannot all play in a world XI at the same time. Banks and Yashin were both world class keepers (probably the top two of all time) around at the same time but only one could play in a world XI. You can argue that player X or Y is the best but that does not mean that there are not others who are world class doing the same job elsewhere.

• Like 4

Kante is. Ricardo is in my opinion. I think Vardy cannot be far off this either to be honest - he has for years scored at an immense rate, often doing it in a team that creates not that many chances. His form this season has been absurd. He's on course for the highest goals tally of any Premier League player in one season ever.

Mahrez never truly holding down a place in Man City's side I think puts him in the next catergory down from World Class, but obviously still a top player.

World class for me has to be players who get into nearly any team in the world. Ricardo for me would start for just about anybody.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 2

I think world class means you would be at least top 5 pick in your position? Or is that too harsh, Ive always taken world class to mean youd get in the world xI squad... maybe thats just me. 

Under that very high bar, Vardy wouldnt cut it for most unfortunately... although most leicester fans would include him. 

Kante 100%! Ricardo is probably the closest to getting there in the current squad. Mahrez has too much competition for the spots.  According to Crystal Palace fans, sir jeff isnt far away. 

Edited by Lambert09

World class means they would walk into any other team in the world and make them better. That means teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juvenntus, Bayern.

Kante 

possibly Riicardo

Mahrezz wouldn't improve those teams, he may be doing well at Man City but he hasn't improved them.

Guest An Sionnach
11 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I think world class means you would be at least top 5 pick in your position? Or is that too harsh, Ive always taken world class to mean youd get in the world xI squad... maybe thats just me. 

Under that very high bar, Vardy wouldnt cut it for most unfortunately... although most leicester fans would include him. 

Kante 100%! Ricardo is probably the closest to getting there in the current squad. Mahrez has too much competition for the spots.  According to Crystal Palace fans, sir jeff isnt far away. 

Not mentioned here is Jonny Evans, very few better centre backs around. Like John Terry you don't realise how good he is until he's gone. Ask Man. Utd.

A very subjective one this and also depends on how high or low your individual bar is and the strength of your blue tinted glasses.

For me Banks and Shilton certainly together with Cambiasso and Kante. Linekar and Vardy borderline and that's about it. Ricardo and certain others present have great potential in the next few years but nowhere near just yet.

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

A good point but have to disagree somewhat. You can have more than one world class player for any given position but they cannot all play in a world XI at the same time. Banks and Yashin were both world class keepers (probably the top two of all time) around at the same time but only one could play in a world XI. You can argue that player X or Y is the best but that does not mean that there are not others who are world class doing the same job elsewhere.

Good point, what formation are we playing. Who's in charge? 

Because Big Sam is only playing Carlton Cole up top and suddenly Huth is a contender. 

Guest An Sionnach
13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Kante, Vardy & Mahrez at the moment, for me.

Ricardo is on the way there. Don't think he's world class just yet.

Two of these are hard working team men who generally never stop running while one flits in and out of matches when he feels like it and can be as annoying as f**k. World class means more than just skill. 

Past WC when we had them:

Cambiasso

Mancini

WC with us:

Banks

Shilton

Lineker

Kante

Mahrez (when he wanted to be)

Vardy

Ricardo

Heskey (controversial)

Will be WC

Tielemans

Ndidi

Maddison

Now to throw in a curve ball who could have easily played for a bigger team and thus potentially be wc.... Gareth McAuley

At the moment only Vards hits them heady heights. He's just not fashionable for the big boys. If he was called Vardinhio he'd be at somewhere like real Madrid on £300k a week with a stupid record transfer fee.

Like others have said of the last decade only Mahrez and Kante could be classed as Elite with the later showing year on year how invaluable he is to a team for his unselfish work.