Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cruzFOX

Rogers tactics

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I couldn't really tell you what we were even trying to do against Man City and Liverpool. We didn't really play attacking, defensive, counter, I'm genuinely perplexed by what we were trying to do, it was miserable.

Said this at the time but there was a strong sense of deja vu for me watching these games, it was very much like what happened in Europe under Rodgers at Celtic.  We'd look like rabbits caught in the headlights a lot and would simply abandon our typical style of play and ethos and it was hard to spot our actual game plan.

May just be a coincidence but I couldn't and can't still put my finger on why that happened to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blue ROI said:

Still at least we don't normally concede first now eh??!!

Nor at 40’-45’ guaranteed. This annoyed me more than conceding first, just knowing we’d give some sloppy goal up just before half time.

Edited by Beechey

Guest An Sionnach

Man. City regularly come up short in Europe , they are yet to prove they are in the class of Real or Juve or Bayern. The opposing teams first blunt their clever interpassing  and then exploit their defensive flaws. We are not in the class of the above but we could have used their tactics . We may well still have lost but it would have been a more competitive match . Liverpool are just too good but have been involved in some pretty close matches , if we had lost by the odd goal most would have accepted that.

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Said this at the time but there was a strong sense of deja vu for me watching these games, it was very much like what happened in Europe under Rodgers at Celtic.  We'd look like rabbits caught in the headlights a lot and would simply abandon our typical style of play and ethos and it was hard to spot our actual game plan.

May just be a coincidence but I couldn't and can't still put my finger on why that happened to us.

If we'd taken it to Liverpool and been hammered I'd accept it a bit more but I just didn't get what he was thinking. Maddison on the left against TAA was mental, I'd love to know the reason for it, he did it in both games as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

If we'd taken it to Liverpool and been hammered I'd accept it a bit more but I just didn't get what he was thinking. Maddison on the left against TAA was mental, I'd love to know the reason for it, he did it in both games as well.

I notice he hasn’t done another one of those fan Q&A things again recently - I’d have a lot more questions to ask him now we’ve seen him manage us properly, which would make for a better insight. 

Edited by Manini

On 13/01/2020 at 17:05, StriderHiryu said:

Rodgers has done this type of thing plenty of times throughout his career. Celtic once lost 7-0 to Barcelona when Luis Enrique was in charge and they had Messi, Suarez and Neymar up front. During that match they tried to play football against a vastly superior team and were destroyed as a result. But those are his principles and he'll generally stick to them.

Out of interest how did Celtic perform in the return leg? 

Did they learn from the 7-0 experience? Or did they get hammered 5-0 at home?!

Rodgers generally is a very good tactician. You only have to look at his results to see that since he was a manager. I think the issue we have is that we have a relatively shallow squad in quality and Rodgers doesn’t trust too many outside the first team. 

Now injuries to key players have hit e.g Vardy, Ndidi and the chinks are starting to show. Add to that some  more marginal factors such as a physically light team, winter weather, youngish players, lack of on field leadership then we are getting results we might expect. We need a midfield general a la Cambiasso and as we’ve said an effective wide man who is a combo of the best bits of Albrighton, Gray and Barnes. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Bad form in an individual is normal and that's what we have a squad for. Bad form in a whole team is Always and I mean Always the managers fault.

Correct on the squad and manager, agree on both there, the issue though, there is no point in having the squad if the manager is not prepared to swap out players out of form.  Rodgers seems to have the "favourites" trait in him sadly.

Edited by Chrysalis

12 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

Out of interest how did Celtic perform in the return leg? 

Did they learn from the 7-0 experience? Or did they get hammered 5-0 at home?!

We lost 2-0 at home but could easily have been 5 or 6. A year later we got spanked 5-0 at home against PSG by trying to go toe to toe with them and then went to Paris 6 weeks later and played the exact same way and they took 7 off us and it could have been more.

I get there is a huge disparity in finances with these sorts of sides and Celtic and it’s hard to compete but bar one bad result against Barcelona under Lennon in the nou camp we were always competitive in these matches against Europe’s elite prior to Rodgers arriving.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Apologies for those allergic to pedantry / accurate grammar, but the title of the thread should not only have a d in it, but should actually read as '"Rodgers' tactics", as his name is plural, and the tactics belong to him. 

I know that this will put lots of minds at rest, for sure... (that's a joke at my own expense, before anyone gets offended by any of this). 

His name isn’t plural. It just happens to end in an ‘s’.

It’s often convention to omit the 2nd ‘s’ in these situations for reasons of tidiness, but some pedants would still assert that it should be Rodgers’s tactics. 

Maybe confusion could have been avoided completely by calling the article: ‘The tactics of Brendan Rodgers’. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

We lost 2-0 at home but could easily have been 5 or 6. A year later we got spanked 5-0 at home against PSG by trying to go toe to toe with them and then went to Paris 6 weeks later and played the exact same way and they took 7 off us and it could have been more.

I get there is a huge disparity in finances with these sorts of sides and Celtic and it’s hard to compete but bar one bad result against Barcelona under Lennon in the nou camp we were always competitive in these matches against Europe’s elite prior to Rodgers arriving.

What did the Celtic fanbase in general think about those results and performances? Before he left Rodgers was generally considered a great manager by most fans, but were they annoyed with him that he wasn't pragmatic in these matches?

I remember a game under Neil Lennon where Celtic beat Barcelona with just 11% (!) possession. A fantastic result but surely an absolute outlier in terms of the expected actual result! But they did get the win and didn't get battered!

aYFRj-580x435.jpg

18 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

His name isn’t plural. It just happens to end in an ‘s’.

It’s often convention to omit the 2nd ‘s’ in these situations for reasons of tidiness, but some pedants would still assert that it should be Rodgers’s tactics. 

Maybe confusion could have been avoided completely by calling the article: ‘The tactics of Brendan Rodgers’. 

I presume you'd agree that there needs to be an apostrophe there, one way or another?

The plural thing is interesting, as my own surname ends in an 's', and if it didn't, it would mean the singular version of the same thing. Anyway, I/we are in serious danger of getting in trouble for being accurately irrelevant :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

What did the Celtic fanbase in general think about those results and performances? Before he left Rodgers was generally considered a great manager by most fans, but were they annoyed with him that he wasn't pragmatic in these matches?

I remember a game under Neil Lennon where Celtic beat Barcelona with just 11% (!) possession. A fantastic result but surely an absolute outlier in terms of the expected actual result! But they did get the win and didn't get battered!

aYFRj-580x435.jpg

It was the one black mark against Rodgers in his time with us, we never progressed in Europe at all, in fact we went backwards in relation to previous managers in Europe such as Lennon and Strachan, a large part of it being Rodgers stubborness in trying to pass it out from the back against some of the deadliest front three's in world football.  We suffered our record home defeat and two record away defeats in Europe under him for example.

Beating that Barcelona side who were arguably one of the greatest of all time is an outlier yes, but in a general sense we were more competitive in these kind of games pre-Rodgers, for example we went to the Nou Camp previously and it took a last minute goal to beat us, even before Lennon we had similar results under Strachan, we were never embaressed, also Celtic Park was a bit of a fortress, that changed under Rodgers too when sides like Anderlecht and Monchengladbach beat us comfortably at home.  The only real memorable European results in Rodgers time were drawing with Pep's Man City home and away and beating RB Leipzig at home, the rest we really underperformed.  Looking at his record with Liverpool in Europe it's pretty similar also.  It's only my own opinion but I don't think he adapts his team's approach enough to deal with the opposition in Europe, he just blindly expects to play the same way, regardless of the approach or quality of the opposition.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

It was the one black mark against Rodgers in his time with us, we never progressed in Europe at all, in fact we went backwards in relation to previous managers in Europe such as Lennon and Strachan, a large part of it being Rodgers stubborness in trying to pass it out from the back against some of the deadliest front three's in world football.  We suffered our record home defeat and two record away defeats in Europe under him for example.

Beating that Barcelona side who were arguably one of the greatest of all time is an outlier yes, but in a general sense we were more competitive in these kind of games pre-Rodgers, for example we went to the Nou Camp previously and it took a last minute goal to beat us, even before Lennon we had similar results under Strachan, we were never embaressed, also Celtic Park was a bit of a fortress, that changed under Rodgers too when sides like Anderlecht and Monchengladbach beat us comfortably at home.  The only real memorable European results in Rodgers time were drawing with Pep's Man City home and away and beating RB Leipzig at home, the rest we really underperformed.  Looking at his record with Liverpool in Europe it's pretty similar also.  It's only my own opinion but I don't think he adapts his team's approach enough to deal with the opposition in Europe, he just blindly expects to play the same way, regardless of the approach or quality of the opposition.

I guess here lies the problem, if he didn’t have a chink in his armour, he wouldn’t have been Celtic or Leicester manager in the first place.

We can only hope he learns and adapts, as opposed to rinse and repeat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Manini said:

Looking for a general view: How have you, as a Leicester fan, taken to Brendan Rodgers as manager? I think there’s been quite a bit of excitement about given the results over the past 10 or so months, but I still get the feeling that there’s quite a few who haven’t really taken to him as an individual. Obviously the future is what will define his spell here, he hasn’t really done anything yet, and that will probably change opinion. But you do see some odd comments from some relating to the bloke on here. 

Not trying to antagonise anybody with this - it’s just an open question. 

I think he's top drawer and comfortably the best manager from these shores. A likeable guy and really engaging to listen to. 

He's made some mistakes recently, but ultimately has taken a side from 12th in the league to 3rd, having lost a key defender and only adding Praet and Perez to the team that finished last season.

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Very interesting. He's been guilty of that everywhere he's gone to be honest, as he did the same at Swansea and Liverpool too. Done it here now against Liverpool and Man City you could argue.

Mind you another coach who is very similar to that is Pep, and for me it's one reason why he could not win the Champions League with Bayern or Man City. Klopp has made adjustments, such as playing Wijnaldum as a false 9 against Barcelona in one leg, etc. At the same time Pep has smashed the league with every team he's been at and this season it's the loss of Kompany and Laporte that have made them more susceptible rather than tactics letting them down. 

For me I guess it comes down to how many hammerings the team takes. If we tried the same approach versus Liverpool 5 times in a row and got smashed each time, then you'd ask questions. But he has shown to be pragmatic here already, e.g. lineups against Chelsea away, Liverpool away, etc.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

Klopp is a big man physically and many of his players reflect that , he prefers powerful players.  Rodgers is a small man and one of the problems highlighted with our team is that we are lacking power . Is there an association? Pearson, who is also big, often fielded bigger players. If you are Barcelona of ten years ago you got away with it because of the sheer genius of Messi, Ineasta and Xavi but even they eventually turned to Suarez to add some muscle.

4 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

From your previous comments I suspected this! 

7 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

I guess here lies the problem, if he didn’t have a chink in his armour, he wouldn’t have been Celtic or Leicester manager in the first place.

We can only hope he learns and adapts, as opposed to rinse and repeat.

Can't wait for next year when we don't have a squad big enough or the money to build it in one season :). Great if we get in the champions league but have to remember

that its top 4 that gives us the money to continue to build the squad. I suppose we can douche the league cup but there's no way possible to compete in all competitions

and get Top 4 as we are presently constructed.

I won't comment about the "chink" in Rodgers armour. His record of success under different and difficult circumstances speaks for itself.

19 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Can't wait for next year when we don't have a squad big enough or the money to build it in one season :). Great if we get in the champions league but have to remember

that its top 4 that gives us the money to continue to build the squad. I suppose we can douche the league cup but there's no way possible to compete in all competitions

and get Top 4 as we are presently constructed.

I won't comment about the "chink" in Rodgers armour. His record of success under different and difficult circumstances speaks for itself.

Read the context of the reply, we have just been given similar examples of the same “ match fire with fire tactics” 

if you don’t see this as a shortcoming please remove your BR glasses.

Im a realist, at the end of the day he is the best we can expect and I’m merely commenting on the thread rather than insulting BR