Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cruzFOX

Rogers tactics

11 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

We lost 2-0 at home but could easily have been 5 or 6. A year later we got spanked 5-0 at home against PSG by trying to go toe to toe with them and then went to Paris 6 weeks later and played the exact same way and they took 7 off us and it could have been more.

I get there is a huge disparity in finances with these sorts of sides and Celtic and it’s hard to compete but bar one bad result against Barcelona under Lennon in the nou camp we were always competitive in these matches against Europe’s elite prior to Rodgers arriving.

.. so do you agree he is limited tactically. 

He obviously did not learn anything after the defeats suffered in Europe and has tried to use the same tactics against Liverpool and Manchester City...

45 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

He obviously did not learn anything after the defeats suffered in Europe and has tried to use the same tactics against Liverpool and Manchester City...

Yeah that’s pretty much my point. Hopefully he’ll learn and adapt though.

52 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

6 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Yeah that’s pretty much my point. Hopefully he’ll learn and adapt though.

This forum...wierder & weirder....First Sign of hiccups and the Dark Thoughts abound..

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

This forum...wierder & weirder....First Sign of hiccups and the Dark Thoughts abound..

This is what happens after ignoring the early symptoms of the demise of Ranieri and Puel. You get worried that a hiccup turns into a crisis.

To be fair, when a manager appears to be following the pattern that was generally ascribed to him to the “T”, people are going to think this way.

The book on Rodgers coming in was great against minnows, awful against sharks.  That’s why Celtic was his perfect gig. And so far that’s exactly what he’s been with Leicester. Doesn’t mean it’s absolutely true or that he can’t adapt, but as a dog he is getting on a bit where new tricks are concerned.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

To be fair, when a manager appears to be following the pattern that was generally ascribed to him to the “T”, people are going to think this way.

The book on Rodgers coming in was great against minnows, awful against sharks.  That’s why Celtic was his perfect gig. And so far that’s exactly what he’s been with Leicester. Doesn’t mean it’s absolutely true or that he can’t adapt, but as a dog he is getting on a bit where new tricks are concerned.

To the T.   Individuals opinions,not facts..!!  Just round edged pegs perceived to fit the ascribed round hole....

The classic..its better to agree to disagree....because We are Human and not pre Programmed Robots....

Oh ..another thing,if he gets us competing for Top 6 ,occasionally chipping into Top 4, A managers detailed Periodic  history,doesnt interest me at all...

The only old Dog scenario that sticks...are the people who do nothing but search for negatives over other people,to prove their own wasted Time makes Statistical sense...

Thank god, its the romantic who still have a hold on the reasoning for following their chosen sport.Knowing Sport gives the most pleasant suprises,mixed with the given  Emotions  that tease us to the highest of hights, frustrations,dreams,abysmal failure,and that extatic realisation of those achievements One believed might be beyond even ones own hopes...

So Stuff all those nonsense patterns, I just sit back and Enjoy watching the Dice being thrown,Watch in excitement when they tumble over themselves,and respect

That period of that anticipation ,adrenalin ,and actually the Euphoria of that Nano- moment of Not knowing how they will fall,

and what numbers the last roll rests on !!.

Making up,digging up theoretical shit,I leave to the Daily mail & Sun would be journalists...:crylaugh:

• Like 2

I'm not concerned too much about Rodgers tactically. We have only lost one game this season home and away to one of the sides outside the big 6, which speaks for itself. We are competing with Man City and Liverpool who are the two best clubs in the world atm which says everything. 

Saying that, I think Rodgers showed a little bit too much ambition against Liverpool and Man City but the players did freeze in both games as though they were in awe of the team they were playing. Nothing Rodgers can do about that. And then the subsequent loss of form has spiralled into a confidence issue with the team almost scared to do the things that were working so well for us in the first half of the season. 

That is the only slight criticism I have of Rodgers - maybe to be less brave in the big games and go for it in the others. Although the message that could be sending to the players is that they're second best when we clearly are a side capable of competing with the best. 

15 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

We lost 2-0 at home but could easily have been 5 or 6. A year later we got spanked 5-0 at home against PSG by trying to go toe to toe with them and then went to Paris 6 weeks later and played the exact same way and they took 7 off us and it could have been more.

I get there is a huge disparity in finances with these sorts of sides and Celtic and it’s hard to compete but bar one bad result against Barcelona under Lennon in the nou camp we were always competitive in these matches against Europe’s elite prior to Rodgers arriving.

Kind of how it feels comparing Puel to Rodgers.

Last season we was only one of two teams to stop Liverpool winning at home, the other was Man City.  We also beat Man City last season as well, in a season when they were still at their best.  Both of those results under Puel.  Rodgers seems much more able to beat weaker teams but seems naive against the big boys.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Kind of how it feels comparing Puel to Rodgers.

Last season we was only one of two teams to stop Liverpool winning at home, the other was Man City.  We also beat Man City last season as well, in a season when they were still at their best.  Both of those results under Puel.  Rodgers seems much more able to beat weaker teams but seems naive against the big boys.

Good. Look at the difference in the table from when we had Puel as manager. And games against Man city and Liverpool won’t define our season. Games like Sunday will. 3 points incoming.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, shailen said:

I'm not concerned too much about Rodgers tactically. We have only lost one game this season home and away to one of the sides outside the big 6, which speaks for itself. We are competing with Man City and Liverpool who are the two best clubs in the world atm which says everything. 

Saying that, I think Rodgers showed a little bit too much ambition against Liverpool and Man City but the players did freeze in both games as though they were in awe of the team they were playing. Nothing Rodgers can do about that. And then the subsequent loss of form has spiralled into a confidence issue with the team almost scared to do the things that were working so well for us in the first half of the season. 

That is the only slight criticism I have of Rodgers - maybe to be less brave in the big games and go for it in the others. Although the message that could be sending to the players is that they're second best when we clearly are a side capable of competing with the best. 

.. learn from past experience!! 

As @henrik_62 said in regards to Celtic the same thing happened to them in Europe, he needs to go defensive and counter in these situations not go all out. 

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach

There is no one size fits all for a team like Leicester. It works for a team as powerful as Liverpool , at least in the P. L. not so much in Europe , every match needs a different approach. These days though we have the players to change our approach to suit the opposition. Actually we can do that even within a match. Rigid thinking did for Puel and any signs that Rodgers is behaving that way is bound to concern us fans.

39 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. learn from past experience!! 

As @henrik_62 said in regards to Celtic the same thing happened to them in Europe, he needs to go defensive and counter in these situations not go all out. 

But we didn't go toe to toe with City or Liverpool. We were on the defensive, and just beaten by better teams with better players. We didn't lose because we were too attacking. Also I'm not being funny but PSG barca etc playing celtic is like us playing a league 1 or 2 team, just keep the score down if you can but expect a beating. 

4 hours ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

But we didn't go toe to toe with City or Liverpool. We were on the defensive, and just beaten by better teams with better players. We didn't lose because we were too attacking. Also I'm not being funny but PSG barca etc playing celtic is like us playing a league 1 or 2 team, just keep the score down if you can but expect a beating. 

Look at our European results prior to Rodgers arriving and then when he arrived we suffered our three record defeats on the trot, if your going to have an opinion on something please try and be the slightest bit informed otherwise you just look like a fool. I'd have been quite happy keeping the score down as you allude to but we made an almighty hash of that also with how we set up.  This isn't a Rodgers bashing session, everyone is in agreement he is a terrific manager but it doesn't mean he is above constructive criticism and shouldn't be questioned ever.  

The point about being beaten by better teams with better players is again a vague, sweeping generalisation with no consideration for the facts.  The frustration I interpret among Leicester fans on this thread is that other, shall we say, less equipped teams have given Liverpool and Man City in particular, far sterner tests than yourselves this season (Norwich and Newcastle being the obvious examples) and naturally people try to analyse why, particularly given the fact you are sitting in the top 4 in the league, which is perfectly natural and understandable.  Given your lofty position it's quite plausible to expect that Leicester will be a tough proposition for these sides and the way it's panned out has been the polar opposite.

All that aside no one should be coming to your own ground and rolling you over the way Liverpool did, fans have every right to feel aggrieved and ask questions after that result in particular.  If your happy to accept that happening and put it down to the fact they "have better players" and that satisfies you I'd question how much of a fan you really are. Regardless of opposition, gap in finances or whatever I'm enraged anytime a side comes to Celtic Park and gives us a going over on our own patch and the same should apply at the King Power.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Look at our European results prior to Rodgers arriving and then when he arrived we suffered our three record defeats on the trot, if your going to have an opinion on something please try and be the slightest bit informed otherwise you just look like a fool. I'd have been quite happy keeping the score down as you allude to but we made an almighty hash of that also with how we set up.  This isn't a Rodgers bashing session, everyone is in agreement he is a terrific manager but it doesn't mean he is above constructive criticism and shouldn't be questioned ever.  

The point about being beaten by better teams with better players is again a vague, sweeping generalisation with no consideration for the facts.  The frustration I interpret among Leicester fans on this thread is that other, shall we say, less equipped teams have given Liverpool and Man City in particular, far sterner tests than yourselves this season (Norwich and Newcastle being the obvious examples) and naturally people try to analyse why, particularly given the fact you are sitting in the top 4 in the league, which is perfectly natural and understandable.  Given your lofty position it's quite plausible to expect that Leicester will be a tough proposition for these sides and the way it's panned out has been the polar opposite.

All that aside no one should be coming to your own ground and rolling you over the way Liverpool did, fans have every right to feel aggrieved and ask questions after that result in particular.  If your happy to accept that happening and put it down to the fact they "have better players" and that satisfies you I'd question how much of a fan you really are. Regardless of opposition, gap in finances or whatever I'm enraged anytime a side comes to Celtic Park and gives us a going over on our own patch and the same should apply at the King Power.

Don't patronise me, or question how much of a fan of Leicester I am, as a flaming Celtic fan on a Leicester fans forum. I like to think of myself as a massive fan and very knowledgeable. I know Celtic play in a shocking league, with average players, and under Strachan, O Neill and Lennon had some great results in Europe. Its like teams like Rochdale and Crawley doing well in the FA Cup. You have a massive cup tie like atmosphere in home games and play your heart out and get results. That cannot continue forever. If Rodgers went out to attack PSG and Barca etc fairplay to him, you shut and shop and lose 3 nil or play a bit and lose 6 nil who cares. 

Our games v city and Liverpool came at the wrong time, the same players had months of playing every single game and it took its toll, we looked languid and worn out, and a bit lost for ideas. And yes it is simple, of you have better players and better managers against you you will probably lose. Norwich beat man city and city beat us, so I suppose with your logic Norwich are better than us then. Over a season teams will slip up or struggle against different teams. You say Newcastle and Norwich gave city a game, wow well done but they also lost against other teams we have beat easily. Every game is different pal but don't ever question how much of a fan i am because I can accept a better team beat us. 

44 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Don't patronise me, or question how much of a fan of Leicester I am, as a flaming Celtic fan on a Leicester fans forum. I like to think of myself as a massive fan and very knowledgeable. I know Celtic play in a shocking league, with average players, and under Strachan, O Neill and Lennon had some great results in Europe. Its like teams like Rochdale and Crawley doing well in the FA Cup. You have a massive cup tie like atmosphere in home games and play your heart out and get results. That cannot continue forever. If Rodgers went out to attack PSG and Barca etc fairplay to him, you shut and shop and lose 3 nil or play a bit and lose 6 nil who cares. 

Our games v city and Liverpool came at the wrong time, the same players had months of playing every single game and it took its toll, we looked languid and worn out, and a bit lost for ideas. And yes it is simple, of you have better players and better managers against you you will probably lose. Norwich beat man city and city beat us, so I suppose with your logic Norwich are better than us then. Over a season teams will slip up or struggle against different teams. You say Newcastle and Norwich gave city a game, wow well done but they also lost against other teams we have beat easily. Every game is different pal but don't ever question how much of a fan i am because I can accept a better team beat us. 

Again your misinformed and too lazy to get your facts right, fact of the matter is we continued to have great results in Europe under Lennon first time around, not just back in the by gone days of O'Neill and Strachan, results were poor under Rodgers in Europe and they've drastically improved in a European sense since Lennon came back in as we've won our Europa League group, beating the side currently third in Serie A home and away, thus reinforcing my point about Rodgers underperforming in Europe while at Celtic.

On that note I'm out in terms of engaging with you.  You've been talking absolute hum-drum for a couple of days on this thread now and been called it by your own fans so that says it all.  Resorting to that sort of daft slander as opposed to having a reasoned debate says it all.  

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

On that note I'm out in terms of engaging with you.  You've been talking absolute hum-drum for a couple of days on this thread now and been called it by your own fans so that says it all.  Resorting to that sort of daft slander as opposed to having a reasoned debate says it all. 

you did write 'and that satisfies you I'd question how much of a fan you really are

jim's reaction was a tad sensitive but i can understand it.  other posts i wouldn't comment on …….above my pay grade ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

you did write 'and that satisfies you I'd question how much of a fan you really are

jim's reaction was a tad sensitive but i can understand it.  other posts i wouldn't comment on …….above my pay grade ...

That's a fair enough observation, I perhaps should have chosen my words a bit more carefully, my point was I can't understand any fan just accepting being rolled over 4-0 at home by any side, I didn't mean to call his authenticity as a fan into question.  Heads have gone with his reply though like you allude to.

Edited by henrik_62

24 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Again your misinformed and too lazy to get your facts right, fact of the matter is we continued to have great results in Europe under Lennon first time around, not just back in the by gone days of O'Neill and Strachan, results were poor under Rodgers in Europe and they've drastically improved in a European sense since Lennon came back in as we've won our Europa League group, beating the side currently third in Serie A home and away, thus reinforcing my point about Rodgers underperforming in Europe while at Celtic.

Sorry can you tell me where on this thread I've commented and fans have called me on it. And as for slander, I think questioning if I'm a true fan is slander. Sorry but what facts have I got wrong. Did you not have some famous one off results in Europe, usually at home? If you're done with 'engaging' with me mate it suits me fine.