Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cruzFOX

Rogers tactics

I’ve been a fan of Rodgers, but wtf was that tonight?

Among other things Chilwell on left midfield when he has no ability on the ball whatsoever.

I dont think I’ve seen a worse, or more gutless performance than what Chilwell delivered tonight; yet Rodgers keeps him on all game.

Baffling 

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 2

Can’t believe he left 5 defenders on at the end, absolutely inexcusable to leave Chilwell at wing back with several more dynamic players on the bench.

4 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

In every big game this season Rodgers has been tactically not quite there. The lack of end product from the wide men has caused him to try other things but we look better balanced with Barnes there. 

Agree

Hes done brilliantly since coming in but he also should be criticised for times when he has made errors with tactics and selection.

Man Utd away he did this and we lost. We beat Villa away with the diamond but first half we were fortunate not to concede more. They got down the wings a lot. Norwich at home back fired and that was a big two points dropped.

Worked at Newcastle but they were shocking and ten men second half and a Hamza long shot aside we didn't threaten.

Today Chilwell was shocking and yet he brings Albrighton on and played him seemingly in a central position. Don't know why we didn't bring Barnes on to add some pace which we didn't have at all. Perez going off was harsh too as he was ok I thought.

A lot of selection worries coming up with the fa cup game too, hopefully performances don't drop again like today

2 LBs to finish the game and 5 defenders. 

Tielemans needs resting / dropping. 

No DM (Choudhury/Mendy) starting.

Nacho should should have been on way sooner.

Very strange that these big games he gets it so wrong. Even the co commentator stated the 3 CBs playing.

• Thanks 1

a five at the back in the final against a city is a great idea

not tonight though

gave Villa time to get back into position. Very suprised Fuchs or Chilwell were not the ones to be sacrificed for Albrighton to change the system..

Edited by twister

I’m not having the criticism on this one. 

Played it because Villa adopt the same shape as Newcastle. 

We repeatedly overloaded them in the channels. Perez forever picking up shake in the middle. 

Execution was off ultimately. There was four good chances we created without the goalie having to make a great save 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

Agree

Hes done brilliantly since coming in but he also should be criticised for times when he has made errors with tactics and selection.

Man Utd away he did this and we lost. We beat Villa away with the diamond but first half we were fortunate not to concede more. They got down the wings a lot. Norwich at home back fired and that was a big two points dropped.

Worked at Newcastle but they were shocking and ten men second half and a Hamza long shot aside we didn't threaten.

Today Chilwell was shocking and yet he brings Albrighton on and played him seemingly in a central position. Don't know why we didn't bring Barnes on to add some pace which we didn't have at all. Perez going off was harsh too as he was ok I thought.

A lot of selection worries coming up with the fa cup game too, hopefully performances don't drop again like today

You can’t include the wins at Villa and Newcastle in there as examples, we were absolutely dominant and very good in both games. Plus. They’re wins. And there’s been several of them. 

Brendan seems to over think and put too much emphasis on the opposition. We've shown that if we play 4141 with Maddison in central midfield, we are a very good team. Yet against teams like Man City, Liverpool & Man Utd, he chose to change that system and we looked terrible in each of those games. He's played 5 at the back with varying successful. Today, he should have played 4141 with Hamza instead of Ndidi, but he knew Villa were going to play with wingbacks and so did the same with us. Change formations if things aren't working but Brendan seems to want to fix something that isn't broken, just for the sake of it. 

Edited by sm1
  • Like 3

Football experts out in force armed with hindsight again in this thread lol

He had a mistake, admitted it, and that's it. We didn't lose and still have a good chance to go through in the second leg. Some people need to remember where we once were, the negativity in the ground was unbelievable at times.

I don't think it's the tactics. There is something that happens to us in the big games where we almost believe we are not worthy of being there. Players go missing and it's something we can't afford to continue. I don't know if it's because our players are young and in awe of being in that moment. 

I think first half he got it wrong but the tactical change made at half time by Rodgers was superb - dropping choudhury in allowed Tielemans and Maddison much more space and we put villa right on the back foot to the point that they never reached our half. Yes Chilwell probably should have been hooked but the change from Rodgers kept us in a decent position in the tie

• Like 1

Worrying trend with us going missing in these big games. I'm not one for panic stations but we have seemed a bit flat.  Still feel confident going to villa and no-one can argue with the league table. Just seem to have lacked the tempo and sharpness in games we threatened to show case our style.    

6 hours ago, shailen said:

I don't think it's the tactics. There is something that happens to us in the big games where we almost believe we are not worthy of being there. Players go missing and it's something we can't afford to continue. I don't know if it's because our players are young and in awe of being in that moment. 

I agree, when we won the title, we had a no fear factor and more than matched the big sides, with the current side we look like a team that’s beaten before they’ve started.

The 2 games against Man City and Liverpool was very painful to watch

Yeh just listened to BR’s post match report.

He’s admitted he was at fault for not starting with Hamza. Not enough energy shown by the rest of the team. I’ve noticed a trend here.

when we don’t start in high gear and play at the high tempo we know we can from kickoff we end up looking very ordinary and struggle to dominate the opposition. Imagine Liverpool told to play at half speed! They simply would not be as effective. If it’s energy we lack than sort it out - drink some flipping lucozade. Nobody should be lacking in energy as we are in such a great position with everything to play for.

villa arrived with key players missing and a plan to defend. We should have easily beaten them with our full strength team minus Ndidi.

for me nothing short of destroying villa in the 2nd leg will do.

• Thanks 1

Hard to be too critical of him as one or two players just weren't up to it last night and that will affect the best of plans.

Villa came and set themselves up for a draw, stayed in shape, organised, defended well (we never looked like scoring from corner) and got the result they wanted.