Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cruzFOX

Rogers tactics

Guest An Sionnach

Nuno Esprito never writes notes, if Rodgers gets too technical he will do his player's heads in and eventually disappear up his own arse. Playing an attacking line up against teams like Liverpool is stupid , we are not good enough . Playing a defensive line up is not pretty but sometimes you have to do it. It's his job to make that decision.

4 hours ago, deep blue said:

Against 10 men; makes a huge difference.

10 men for 80+ minutes, with Aguero, KDB and Mahrez all being subbed. And Wolves still went 2 down and only got back level thanks to an absolute clanger by Mendy in the last 10 minutes. Not having that Wolves were great last night. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Nuno Esprito never writes notes, if Rodgers gets too technical he will do his player's heads in and eventually disappear up his own arse. Playing an attacking line up against teams like Liverpool is stupid , we are not good enough . Playing a defensive line up is not pretty but sometimes you have to do it. It's his job to make that decision.

I wonder if there is a way to play more defensively in our usual formation by simply replacing Youri or Maddison with Hamza and Barnes with Albrighton for tougher matches against the very best teams? At least that way we have all players playing in their best positions and a familiar structure and shape. Absolutely amazed that Hamza didn't play against Liverpool, so that we could save other more creative midfielders for the game today. We now might have to play Hamza today, as others are likely to be knackered after the chasing against Liverpool, and this is not the sort of game where 2 CDMs are needed. 

35 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

10 men for 80+ minutes, with Aguero, KDB and Mahrez all being subbed. And Wolves still went 2 down and only got back level thanks to an absolute clanger by Mendy in the last 10 minutes. Not having that Wolves were great last night. 

But they won because they showed fire and fight and we got mullered. 

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Was him taking notes a problem three weeks ago?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, somebum said:

Think Brendan will be first to hold his hands up. Even Alex Ferguson got his tactics wrong from time to time.

He's doing a great job, i'm sure he will learn from this. Lets not get on his back the games are gone now end of

Nobody gets it right 100% of the time! He’s a fantastic manager, the players clearly respect him and he talks a lot of sense. We need to back him for the long hall - but, that doesn’t mean we can’t be critical of him too. 

12 minutes ago, Manini said:

Nobody gets it right 100% of the time! He’s a fantastic manager, the players clearly respect him and he talks a lot of sense. We need to back him for the long hall - but, that doesn’t mean we can’t be critical of him too. 

As long as he doesn’t switch to long baul we’ll be ok .....😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I wonder if there is a way to play more defensively in our usual formation by simply replacing Youri or Maddison with Hamza and Barnes with Albrighton for tougher matches against the very best teams? At least that way we have all players playing in their best positions and a familiar structure and shape. Absolutely amazed that Hamza didn't play against Liverpool, so that we could save other more creative midfielders for the game today. We now might have to play Hamza today, as others are likely to be knackered after the chasing against Liverpool, and this is not the sort of game where 2 CDMs are needed. 

Think you're common sense suggestions would have got the backing of a number of supporters including me.

Brendan just gave a decent interviews on TS. Talked about how we played some ‘behind closed door games’ with the squad players earlier in the month to get some sharpness ......  Talked about how he wants to develop the players over the next few years .... and talked about how liverpool and Man City are different class 

perhaps, just perhaps he decided to play those two games with an eye to seeing how far away we actually are - to show the players how hard they need to keep working. Playing a defensive low block may have made the outcomes closer but how much would he and the players have learned ? 

• Like 4

What I found odd about the Man City and Liverpool games were the refusal to utilize Iheanacho, in fact he wasn't even on the bench as Liverpool. In both games we were proving very little threat as the game was slipping away from us and going more direct with 2 up top and possibly 3 at the back should have been the plan b. We had 3 wingers on the bench vs Liverpool, unnecessary.

If our wingers continue to be ineffective then 3-4-1-2 is a real alternative for us. If we go all put for Demiral I can see it being our favoured formation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

The way Man City played last night without a striker/9 had Man U CB’s not knowing what an earth to mark...

I do wonder if BR will employ this tactic as a future option of greater regularity (when Vardy is rested or absent) at some juncture having Gray, Pérez, Barnes who can all play at 9 anyway interchanging across the front 3 with Maddison and Youri behind in a two and Wilf behind them in a 4123

Gray Barnes Pérez 

Madders Youri

Wilf

Chil Cag Evans Ric

Kasper

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

The way Man City played last night without a striker/9 had Man U CB’s not knowing what an earth to mark...

I do wonder if BR will employ this tactic as a future option of greater regularity (when Vardy is rested or absent) at some juncture having Gray, Pérez, Barnes who can all play at 9 anyway interchanging across the front 3 with Maddison and Youri behind in a two and Wilf behind them in a 4123

Gray Barnes Pérez 

Madders Youri

Wilf

Chil Cag Evans Ric

Kasper

Playing a false 9 is a really hard system to execute properly, but when Pep did it with Messi at Barcelona, it was for a long time unstoppable. Bernardo was brilliant in the role last night, but he's one off the most intelligent all round football players in the league, plus has a plethora of talents to go with that intelligence. To really make the system work, you need a great player in the role.

Because of their pace and direct running I reckon Barnes or Gray could be tried there. They don't have the same level of footballing intelligence, but they still have attributes that could be effective in the same role. Maddison probably has the footballing intelligence to do it too, but I think he would be wasted in that position given how effective he is behind the striker playing in the killer balls. But put it this way I could see Maddison aged 28 potentially playing as a false 9 for one of the top teams in Europe. His potential is so high because he's got a fantastic understanding and picture of the game, as well as high technical ability.

The other team worth looking at is Liverpool with Firmino who also plays as a different style of false 9. He comes deep but doesn't support the attack as much as Mane and Salah. So it's more like he starts as a 9, but actually plays as a 10 if that makes sense. Perez or Maddison could play that sort of position quite well I reckon. In fact Perez against both Newcastle and West Ham was getting into that sort of space and causing chaos on multiple occasions.

At the end of the day if a tactic works, then it's a good one. I don't think it's something we need to rush out and try, but fair play to Pep in playing that way Fred ended up almost being 1 v 6'd in central midfield and Man United saw almost none of the ball, meaning Man U's counter attack game was nullified which had earned them the victory in their previous encounter. 

• Like 1

It’ll be fascinating if we do make the final to see how BR rolls out the formation.... He won’t line up the same as we did in the league against them on our last showing... Hope it’s not 4231 as I doubt we’ll create enough but it’ll be interesting to see what he does if we make it to Wembley.

16 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

It’ll be fascinating if we do make the final to see how BR rolls out the formation.... He won’t line up the same as we did in the league against them on our last showing... Hope it’s not 4231 as I doubt we’ll create enough but it’ll be interesting to see what he does if we make it to Wembley.

Let’s get there first but if we do, it’s a final - a one off game - it doesn’t matter if you Sh1t house a 1-0 in the 95th minute with 10% possession 

I would expect a v different approach to the etihaad but don’t forget we have them a week before the final at home ....

On 28/12/2019 at 08:58, An Sionnach said:

What in the lord did i just read... Great tactics that, really benefits our possession based style. #overthemoon #thefuture

Edited by Simoken

Guest An Sionnach
17 minutes ago, Simoken said:

What in the lord did i just read... Great tactics that, really benefits our possession based style. #overthemoon #thefuture

"Sometimes" is the word.