Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Scottish Football

1 minute ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Tbf I don't think the Chelsea vs Man Utd game had better quality than this one. 

I wasn't comparing it to anything in a disrespect to Scottish football sense, rather the amount of misplaced passes, poor turnovers of possession, I understand its a nervy affair, though. It still turned out a great spectacle.

• Like 1

I'd have taken a point before the start but dissapointed after leading for so long....no surprise though given the manager, some things don't change.

What a game though, this game rarely dissapoints.

Will the utd v liver game be as good....nope.

18 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Hello, good afternoon and welcome to BigotFest '24.

The hate crime hotline will be buzzing hot this afternoon.

There is a lot to love about Glasgow, but not this.

FTOF.

You were half right with that sentence.

There is lots to love about Glasgow.   Museums, art galleries, architecture, restaurants, pubs, bars, friendly people, pretty girls, etc etc.

And a Celtic/Rangers match, with its friendly rivalry and colourful blend of historical religion/political/social awareness, is another great thing about Glasgow, which makes it utterly unique in world club football.   Yeah, it's gets a bit OTT at times ...  but the fire that warms you, will occasionally burn you.  

32 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

And a Celtic/Rangers match, with its friendly rivalry and colourful blend of historical religion/political/social awareness

Dude, I've lived in Glasgow for nearly 30 years and congratulations - this made me laugh.

I've worked with, bevvied with and have got to know extreme bigots of both sides, the kind who wouldn't let their kids marry "one of them", and who nurture a thousand other petty hatreds of the other lot, and they, too, would laugh at the relationship being described as friendly and colourful and about social awareness.

Bravo.  

56 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Dude, I've lived in Glasgow for nearly 30 years and congratulations - this made me laugh.

I've worked with, bevvied with and have got to know extreme bigots of both sides, the kind who wouldn't let their kids marry "one of them", and who nurture a thousand other petty hatreds of the other lot, and they, too, would laugh at the relationship being described as friendly and colourful and about social awareness.

Bravo.  

Yeah, it's the first time I've seen such a rivalry based largely on hundreds of years of sectarian hatred described as "friendly" and/or "colourful".

Presumably the Troubles were just merely "troublesome", too.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Bravo.  

Yeah, me too, I've had many a beer with fans from both sides.  Most of the characters seemed pretty decent and friendly, albeit some with a few with some dodgy ideas.

I went to a lot of Old Firm games in the Good Old Days before it became pretty much sanitised all-seater season ticket holder stuff.

I was at the famous 1980 "Friendly Final".   The fans met on the pitch afterwards for a quiet post-match chat.   So friendly, in fact, they looked to be exchanging their bottles of whisky after a courteous "Hey Jimmy, fancy a wee dram?"   Unfortunately the bottles were empty, and propelled at rather high speed towards each other, so maybe there was an ulterior motive?

It got so friendly, that they called in the mounted cavalry who proceeded to wave their batons around to the accompaniment of lots of rude songs.

Anyway, it all calmed down in the end.    A few train carriages back from Mount Florida bore the brunt of some frustration, and a few people were relieved of their scarves.   But civil war was averted, and Glasgow survived to live another day ...

(although from then on, they really did get serious about stopping people taking bottles into the ground!)

8 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

You were half right with that sentence.

There is lots to love about Glasgow.   Museums, art galleries, architecture, restaurants, pubs, bars, friendly people, pretty girls, etc etc.

And a Celtic/Rangers match, with its friendly rivalry and colourful blend of historical religion/political/social awareness, is another great thing about Glasgow, which makes it utterly unique in world club football.   Yeah, it's gets a bit OTT at times ...  but the fire that warms you, will occasionally burn you.  

That's like calling wwII a playful scuffle.

Genuine question, how much time have you spent in the West of Scotland? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scotch said:

That's like calling wwII a playful scuffle.

Genuine question, how much time have you spent in the West of Scotland? 

Some of my comments above, may have been slightly tongue-in-cheek!

I've spent a fair bit of time up there over the last 50 years.  Lots of holidays, weekend breaks, day trips.   Couldn't begin to count them.   Any excuse to spend time up there really.

(back in the 80's you could get a cheap day return, leave Leicester 07.30 get in Glasgow 12.50, day out at the football Celtic/Rangers/Partick/St Mirren or wherever, night out in Glasgow, and get the 23.55 back via Birmingham.)

Great city and area.  I love the place.

Edited by worth_the_wait
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

day out at the football Celtic/Rangers/Partick/St Mirren

Calling them "Partick", unless on the wind up, is a casus belli to Jags fans :mad:

3 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Ok, all is forgiven, I'll put my belli away  lol

35 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Some of my comments above, may have been slightly tongue-in-cheek!

I've spent a fair bit of time up there over the last 50 years.  Lots of holidays, weekend breaks, day trips.   Couldn't begin to count them.   Any excuse to spend time up there really.

(back in the 80's you could get a cheap day return, leave Leicester 07.30 get in Glasgow 12.50, day out at the football Celtic/Rangers/Partick/St Mirren or wherever, night out in Glasgow, and get the 23.55 back via Birmingham.)

I've never been a massive Glasgow fan. Or any city for that matter. Probably due to the fact I've spent my working life until 7 years ago commuting to it. I was there the other night for a gig.

I like living an hour from Glasgow. Let's me enjoy it when I want to but keeps the grind of it at arms length.