Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

36 minutes ago, Collymore said:

You can't seriously plan on doing 20 miles with a drink being an after thought lol

I think 6 is about the maximum I could get away with without water and then I'd need to be hitting the isotonic/salts after 10 miles with energy gels probably any further than that.  

You underestimate my stupidity!

When it comes to football tactics, I'm your man. When it comes to running I am not! Until this pandemic hit I only ran in the gym on a treadmill. My pace on that was really good, I could do 10km in 44-45 mins consistently and could run 13/14km an hour as part of the same run. I didn't like running outside because it hurt my feet and it frustrated me not being able to run at that same pace on the road. As there is now literally no other choice (well I suppose I could have got a treadmill but I don't have the space) I've been running outside and given that we had an awesome April weather wise, the runs just kept getting longer and longer. I used to play football every week on a 5 or 7 a side pitch and I play a Rodgers / Klopp style number 8 role there, charging and high pressing like crazy ("the midfield engine" has been used to describe me a few times!). So my fitness was more geared up around being able to go high intensity for an hour, but not much after that. So it's all new to me!

If / when things return to usual I'm not sure if I will continue running outdoors, but it's definitely possible as I didn't realise it could be as enjoyable as I have found it. I am lucky that I live within running distance of the amazing London parks, and these are some of my favourite places. On a sunny day like today I might well have done down there and read a book for example. It must be tough to motivate yourself in the winter months though, and as I have my own business I often work quite late so it's dark outside when I leave at 7-8pm. So again that's why I tend to run in the gym.

One question I genuinely have is when having a drink whilst running is how to avoid getting a stitch? What I've found so far is that my initial burst is the best, and I can get "into the zone" at some point at which point I run really well. But once I take a drink I just can't get anywhere near back to what I was running before. So that's why I've been generally only drinking once I'm done and this has worked for runs of 10-13 miles thus far. Also is it even worth having water, or is it better to have something with more sugar to refresh your electrolytes? For example I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not, but a Lucozade sport at half time of a football match I find to be very effective. It's probably just the sugar but I find it does give you an initial boost before your 2nd wind takes over.

So anyway I'm curious and keen to hear tips from everyone else. I'm guessing the lockdown will be in place for at least the rest of this month so I'm thinking I could still maybe hit a 26 mile run towards the end. I'm not that bothered if I can't do it as the main reason I am running is to cure boredom and get into better shape and both of those are working. But of course it would be a nice goal to hit! I can't see myself ever being able to do it again if I am being honest!

• Like 1

On 02/05/2020 at 09:23, Facecloth said:

Did my quickest 5k today since I was regularly doing parkrun a couple of months back. 31:23. 

Good work!

Trimmed my 5k to 30:31 and 10k to 1.03:02 yesterday, gives you a boost doesn't it

Did 14k in total, a new distance record, in 90 minutes but my left knee feels stiff today

Anyone know if I should I leave the running today and just go for a long walk instead - or neither?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Good work!

Trimmed my 5k to 30:31 and 10k to 1.03:02 yesterday, gives you a boost doesn't it

Did 14k in total, a new distance record, in 90 minutes but my left knee feels stiff today

Anyone know if I should I leave the running today and just go for a long walk instead - or neither?

Easy Tiger!

Some wise man on here said "listen to your body" - which I didn't, a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

I got a bit cocky and thought I was fit enough to run every day and when I got any 'niggles' I figured I'd just run them off and I'd be fine.

Fair to say I should have listened to my body as my Achilles started hurting and I just made it worse. Ended up having to take over a week off running to let it recover.

Went out for the first time since this morning for a gentle 4km to try and ease my way back in, but my Achilles still hurts like fvck :unsure:

• Like 1

This week's Distance, Pace, and Elevation leaderboards for anybody that wants a butchers.

Just short of 50km this week for me, but a very sore ankle and tight hamstring now. Some great running from everyone again.

Well done to everyone with PBs and just building up the motivation to get out there! 

20200503_190620.jpg

20200503_190547.jpg

20200503_190532.jpg

• Like 1

I'm happy with mine. My first 10k ever this week and still keeping around 5/km.

Going to aim for running 30k over next week as I'm off work. Don't want to push it too much too quickly but thats about 5km more than this week :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

Easy Tiger!

Some wise man on here said "listen to your body" - which I didn't, a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

I got a bit cocky and thought I was fit enough to run every day and when I got any 'niggles' I figured I'd just run them off and I'd be fine.

Fair to say I should have listened to my body as my Achilles started hurting and I just made it worse. Ended up having to take over a week off running to let it recover.

Went out for the first time since this morning for a gentle 4km to try and ease my way back in, but my Achilles still hurts like fvck :unsure:

Yeah I'm out resting up a poorly calf too. Went back too soon and made it worse. Nearly back though

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Good work!

If you feel ok run…. At our age you’re not going to be without aches

I need to get my act together. 5 weeks ago I breezed a 20 miler and now I can’t get over 5....

@StriderHiryu do you not fuel your long runs??? I can wing a half with zero fuel and tend to run mostly fasted (drink of water and off I go) on 10 miles or below. I’m seriously impressed at your 20 mile time on just water! My 20 mile time is around 3:25 and I take fuel every 2 miles and either water or active root every 5k.

Doing a virtual challenge for May where I have to run in multiples of 4 miles so hoping to get back into double figure runs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, waddadamadda said:

I need to get my act together. 5 weeks ago I breezed a 20 miler and now I can’t get over 5....

@StriderHiryu do you not fuel your long runs??? I can wing a half with zero fuel and tend to run mostly fasted (drink of water and off I go) on 10 miles or below. I’m seriously impressed at your 20 mile time on just water! My 20 mile time is around 3:25 and I take fuel every 2 miles and either water or active root every 5k.

Doing a virtual challenge for May where I have to run in multiples of 4 miles so hoping to get back into double figure runs. 

That's the first time I've ever run that distance. I have since brought one of the water backpacks recommend in this thread so next time if I go for such a run, it will be with water for sure! It was a big mistake not to go without as I learned the hard way!

That said I'm not sure how long I will keep doing these runs for. Everyone says I look too skinny now, and I am losing a ton of muscle. So will probably tone it down to hour runs max in late May. I have to say I really miss playing football, especially now the weather is so great. Football is great exercise but it never feels that way!

Quick question for the pro's on here...

Are you predominately heel, mid-foot or toe 'strikers' first when running?

I reckon I'm a heel striker first and wonder if this is causing my on-going Achilles problems?

The advice on running forums seems to be mixed so I wondered what you lot think is best? I might consciously try and land more on my mid/front foot next time and see if it makes any difference....

7 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

How long do shin splints take to feck off?

It's funny because I used to suffer with these in my early twenties really badly and haven't suffered for years since. I put it down to a poor choice of footwear when I was a student through lack of funds and just feeling invincible, I used to do half marathons in worn down AstroTurf trainers and my shins were completely shot. 

Not sure what your story is, if it's not to do with footwear or what but I think you have to let them heal, quite a few weeks as they're actual micro fractures IIRC. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

How long do shin splints take to feck off?

What running shoes do you have? It would take me a few days to get over shin splints but they'd always return for me after around 40 minutes. The game changer was when I got some top of the line running shoes (Brooks Beasts FYI) and then the splints literally vanished. In fact I could then run twice as far in less pain than before, the shoes really were that much of a revelation.

The only caveat I would add is that it's best to go to a Runners Need or similar and getting them to look at your running style, but of course that's not possible now. They said I ran flat footed, so I needed extra cushioning and support for my heels. It turns out they were right! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

What running shoes do you have? It would take me a few days to get over shin splints but they'd always return for me after around 40 minutes. The game changer was when I got some top of the line running shoes (Brooks Beasts FYI) and then the splints literally vanished. In fact I could then run twice as far in less pain than before, the shoes really were that much of a revelation.

The only caveat I would add is that it's best to go to a Runners Need or similar and getting them to look at your running style, but of course that's not possible now. They said I ran flat footed, so I needed extra cushioning and support for my heels. It turns out they were right! 

Recently changed from a fairly basic pair of asics that were a few years old to Mizuno wave inspire 15.

I have very high arched feet and calf muscles that are very inflexible, guess these don’t really help. 
Poor timing as it looks like really I need my gait analysing to see whats going on.

It’s gutting as it flairs up when I get going and really into my stride as it were.

How long is a good time off, two weeks or more?

32 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Recently changed from a fairly basic pair of asics that were a few years old to Mizuno wave inspire 15.

I have very high arched feet and calf muscles that are very inflexible, guess these don’t really help. 
Poor timing as it looks like really I need my gait analysing to see whats going on.

It’s gutting as it flairs up when I get going and really into my stride as it were.

How long is a good time off, two weeks or more?

2 weeks would "cure" your shin splints I imagine but they could still come back at any time if there's a fundamental problem, which there sounds like there is. Also what will be frustrating is that taking a 2 week break will put your fitness back, personally I've found that taking 2 weeks off can often mean needing 4 weeks just to get back to the pace you were running at prior to the break!

Maybe in the meantime you could go bike riding instead? You can easily get as fit as running and it can be more enjoyable. I would happily ride my bike, especially given that many roads are empty, but I've had 2 bikes stolen over the last 4 years so didn't get another one.If it really hurts you frequently when going running then I really wouldn't advise to keep doing it as you could end up with more serious problems. Once you are into your 30's and 40's joint and ligament problems can't really be fixed so I'd suggest patience and getting things sorted first before pushing yourself.

• Like 1

I'd never timed a run until the other week, when I got nominated for one of those Instagram 5k things. Did it in 24:40 which I was pretty chuffed about but haven't managed sub 25 since lol 

Might try a longer one. 

Also I thought @StriderHiryu's first post was a screenshot of the M25!

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Haha 4

Another slightly quicker 5k today, 31:07. Reckon i can knock a little or that too, as I waited for what felt like ages to cross a road.

Edit: scrap that, checked my strava moving time, 30:34. Hopefully break 30 minutes in the next couple of runs.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Collymore said:

@StriderHiryu

You managed a CR golden crown on a segment called the Wobbly Bridge that 30K had attempted! 

Is this legit or a GPS error? :)

It has to be a GPS error because I was running across that at a slow pace and I was knackered when I got there! I'l take it though :scarf:. Or perhaps because it was the bridge outside Tate Modern that had nowhere near as many people on it as usual I got across it quickly because it was empty ha ha! 

Actually recently I've had problems with both my Fitbit AND Strava which I use on my phone. What are the chances!? My Fitbit keeps turning off halfway through a run, whereas Strava works, but when I get back the distance is wrong I have to manually click on distance -> correct distance and then it automatically corrects the distance.

I'm capable of running distance pretty easily, I did 14 again tonight (though going to be early now as a result LOL), but my pace is not that great. So I can't see many record going down! But I'm not too bothered as the goal is to lose weight / get defined and I am doing very well on that front as you might imagine when you run 60+ miles a week!

All that said yesterday I ran a route which usually takes me 2 hours in about 1hr 30 and had pretty good pace throughout. It's odd some days I am on it, other days I'm quite slow, but regardless once I get about 30 minutes in I get the 2nd wind and can keep that going for quite a while. 

• Haha 1