Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

As somebody who's been a solo runner for the 6/7 years that I've been into running/long distance running, I am enjoying the chat in here and the leaderboard on Strava too. Nice to have a mixture of health competition and encouragement when there are no competitive races and the like too!

I was due to be running the Paris Marathon a couple of weeks ago, which would have been my third marathon and I had my sights set on a sub 3h:45m time which would be almost an hour quicker than my first effort. I've been struggling a little motivation wise during the start of the lockdown (partly down to mental health, and partly down to using my one bit of outdoor exercise on a walk with my wife), but managed 26+ miles this week which is a refreshing change and consistently hitting around 7 mins 40 secs per mile which is about 30 seconds a mile quicker than when I started. I still hate sprinting for anything longer than a few hundred yards so I find that 10kms or halfs are my distances. I've hit one sub 20m 5km and hope to hit it regularly sooner rather than later.

Keep up the good work, chaps! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Club KM through roof and upto 34 runners now 

well done all

shout out to 

Anil - WTAF!!!

Marvin

Ryan

tried to fastest times - but couldn’t work out how to do it!

@RumbleFox - gets the nod for his heroic efforts!

087AD4A9-AF31-442C-8DC7-98C9F0A0CFA1.jpeg

If you access through the browser you can order my elevation, speed, number of runs, or distance. 

My number of runs looks like I've been flagrant with Government rules now! It was about 4 days of runs, two of which contained stop starting at destinations. Don't hand me over to the authorities. 

20200426_213046.jpg

20200426_213106.jpg

50 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

If you access through the browser you can order my elevation, speed, number of runs, or distance. 

My number of runs looks like I've been flagrant with Government rules now! It was about 4 days of runs, two of which contained stop starting at destinations. Don't hand me over to the authorities. 

20200426_213046.jpg

20200426_213106.jpg

Sweet!

@David Guiza you’re officially nominated as the weekly stats Meister!

i don’t tend to go on my laptop unless I’m at work…

well done to 

Mark

Jon

Chris

the official speed merchants!  Really rapid!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is my new personal best distance run. Absolutely cream crackered at the end, but luckily my flatmate made homemade Korean Fried Chicken which I have just destroyed. I don't think any food has ever tasted nicer!

I am aching so badly it caused me physical pain to bend down and try to take my shoes off, so I had to keep them on for about 20 minutes whilst the aches subsided. Still I'm super pleased with this effort! Also random fact, I spotted Joe Cole in the park with his wife and kids. Seems like the boyhood West Ham fan lives in Chelsea, but to be honest can't blame him for choosing to live there!

Knackered.PNG.d19797c2864bc2b53a905229bae36483.PNG

Makes me tired just looking at that!

Phenomenal effort :appl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, David Guiza said:

20200426_213046.jpg

20200426_213106.jpg

Thanks for this! That makes me feel better.

Although 42.5km at a average pace of 4:42/km is pretty beastly by Mark, I should try to up my distance some time and see how badly my pace suffers.

• Thanks 1

Went out again after a few days off, lasted less than 1km before my calf seized again. 

Absolutely gutted, was feeling good too but it's impossible to run through.

Anybody ever have similar? Really dunno what to do but I'm gutted as I was really getting in to it again. 

25 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Went out again after a few days off, lasted less than 1km before my calf seized again. 

Absolutely gutted, was feeling good too but it's impossible to run through.

Anybody ever have similar? Really dunno what to do but I'm gutted as I was really getting in to it again. 

Same happened to me a few days ago with my Achilles. 

I was on a roll and doing some good mileage (for me) but my Achilles is now fvcked I'm still in pain with it. Tried stretching, ice, deep heat, massage but no better.

I guess all we can do is rest up and let nature take it's course. Reckon it will be at least a week until I'll run again but my fear is it will start playing up again straight away. Might have to try biking instead :unsure:

I know the seasoned runners on here say outdoors is better than treadmill but I never got any aches or pains running at the gym!!!

Back after a week…. Slower than before and felt a twinge in the last couple KM, kept going and not feeling too many ill effects - will have another go Wednesday...

wanted to get out before the weather turns to shite 

Edited by Wolfox

On 26/04/2020 at 17:02, StriderHiryu said:

This is my new personal best distance run. Absolutely cream crackered at the end, but luckily my flatmate made homemade Korean Fried Chicken which I have just destroyed. I don't think any food has ever tasted nicer!

I am aching so badly it caused me physical pain to bend down and try to take my shoes off, so I had to keep them on for about 20 minutes whilst the aches subsided. Still I'm super pleased with this effort! Also random fact, I spotted Joe Cole in the park with his wife and kids. Seems like the boyhood West Ham fan lives in Chelsea, but to be honest can't blame him for choosing to live there!

Knackered.PNG.d19797c2864bc2b53a905229bae36483.PNG

Lunch run!!??? 

Nah.... Mods, have a word lol

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

What are the pros and cons of going out running when it's raining (aside from getting wet) ?

Weather has taken a turn today, thinking of going for exercise but would like a heads up from you professionals, ta.

So long as it's not driving rain which can get painful, I absolutely love it. Much prefer a wet run compared to running in a heatwave. Keeps you cool, feels nice and fresh (particularly the misty type of rain) and there are less people out, too.

Layer up (preferably with a lightweight waterproof jacket - decathlon sell some good ones for cheap) and you'll be fine. The hot shower afterwards feels amazing :)

Put your phone in a ziploc/sandwich bag to keep it dry, and be extra vigilant about putting vaseline on anywhere that might rub as wet clothes can exacerbate any chafing, as I found out to my cost at Leicester HM a couple years back... Ouch.

I don't run indoors so if I avoided the rain then I wouldn't run for half the year. I'll avoid thunderstorms though (or do short loops close to home) as they can be dangerous, and I really didn't enjoy getting caught up in Ciara back in Feb, hail is the worst.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

What are the pros and cons of going out running when it's raining (aside from getting wet) ?

Weather has taken a turn today, thinking of going for exercise but would like a heads up from you professionals, ta.

I much prefer it. Streets are emptier, generally cool down a lot quicker.

Cons are definitely if you don't wear the right clothing as Xen mentioned. The first marathon I ran I didn't tape my nipples (lack of bondage supplies) and the photos from the finish line are a sight to behold of my blood stained chest from the friction. A lovely image for this wet afternoon :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I tend to thrive in cr4p weather, find it much easier to run in. I do find that gloves are essential though if it's quite cool.

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Nothing worse than getting new running trainers wet for the first time mind. 

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Nothing worse than getting new running trainers wet for the first time mind. 

When I'm wearing one of my pairs of Brooks I can run through puddles without much bother - my feet get wet but it doesn't cause any lasting issues, like on today's run I stepped in a puddle after less than a mile, but the next 5 went by no issue. They're not the grippiest in wet conditions but they're more than good enough for most cases.

I bought a pair of Sauconys a while back though (relegated to a casual shoe as I couldn't get on with them as running trainers) and I just need to think about the concept of a puddle and they'll be drenched through and wildly uncomfortable. It seeps up the foot from the toes as well, horrible feeling. Not a fan at all.

Some shoes seem to cope with the conditions brilliantly, others not so much.

I finished my C25k last night. 

It was cold back in Jan / Feb, however I never went out on a wet night. 

I have to say, it was really enjoyable. 5k in much cooler conditions was quite nice. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Sly said:

I finished my C25k last night. 

It was cold back in Jan / Feb, however I never went out on a wet night. 

I have to say, it was really enjoyable. 5k in much cooler conditions was quite nice. 

Well done :D

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Xen said:

When I'm wearing one of my pairs of Brooks I can run through puddles without much bother - my feet get wet but it doesn't cause any lasting issues, like on today's run I stepped in a puddle after less than a mile, but the next 5 went by no issue. They're not the grippiest in wet conditions but they're more than good enough for most cases.

I bought a pair of Sauconys a while back though (relegated to a casual shoe as I couldn't get on with them as running trainers) and I just need to think about the concept of a puddle and they'll be drenched through and wildly uncomfortable. It seeps up the foot from the toes as well, horrible feeling. Not a fan at all.

Some shoes seem to cope with the conditions brilliantly, others not so much.

I’m still running through globby poo mud on my off-road run…. Have some Brooks off roaders and they damp for a bit (as it goes over the edge in some boggy areas)…. But after a few mins it’s comfortable…

I have permanently stained toe nails though!

What running shoes people got?

I normally go cheap Kalenji from Decathlon but I've just treated myself to some Asics Gel Cumulus 21 (not sure if they're that good but had good reviews and just in my budget) 

I'm planning on keeping the running going so thought a good incentive would be some decent trainers.