Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

So - a little community update!

we are now up to 41 runners and managed 420km last week (and that’s without @StriderHiryu contributing his usual 100km!!!)

I hoped for 5 or 6 when I first kicked this off - so getting 41 people is great - hopefully it’s given people a bit of a spark to get out there…

All in all I love how positive and supportive the thread is…. Maybe in the new year a few of us could meet up for a quick lope round Vicky park?!!!

Well done to Jason, Marvin and Lewis for topping the leaderboard 

0AA92907-38EF-413B-B75E-C94479629809.jpeg

22ADFD92-1F03-4CAC-A5FA-A7583315290C.jpeg

Something must have gone wrong, because I clocked up a decent distance!

image.thumb.png.18c9efc11d9ac9f4bea38a45a06798cd.png

That said I have to say my hips are really starting to hurt me when I finish running and as Shakira says... your hips don't lie!

Looking forward to going back to the gym when it's open again to be honest, I hate running in the evening, though running during the day at the weekend I still enjoy despite the colder weather.

Anyway well done everyone and thank you so much @Wolfox for setting the club up and motivating us all to get off our backsides! You the man!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Something must have gone wrong, because I clocked up a decent distance!

image.thumb.png.18c9efc11d9ac9f4bea38a45a06798cd.png

That said I have to say my hips are really starting to hurt me when I finish running and as Shakira says... your hips don't lie!

Looking forward to going back to the gym when it's open again to be honest, I hate running in the evening, though running during the day at the weekend I still enjoy despite the colder weather.

Anyway well done everyone and thank you so much @Wolfox for setting the club up and motivating us all to get off our backsides! You the man!

That’s odd ?  I just checked and you’re registered as a runner on the App - maybe the leaderboard got fed up with you being on top all the time!  :P

good luck with the hips!

• Haha 1

Sorted a Garmin route yesterday for me and a mate to run from Groby around to Thornton Botcheston, Newtown Unthank, Ratby and back to Groby - on road he said (we did trail last week) but being a novice (relatively) I didn’t zoom in to check the route before we set off, first 4 miles were fine on road/paths and then middle 4 miles were all off road on very very sloppy and slippy mud then last nearly 4 miles on road again. Ooops

anyone else notice that with the Garmin routes at all? Even if you pick road running on options it still send you down lots of trail bits too. I’m guessing if I picked trail it would send me through the city centre? Lol 😂 

On 30/11/2020 at 12:15, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Sorted a Garmin route yesterday for me and a mate to run from Groby around to Thornton Botcheston, Newtown Unthank, Ratby and back to Groby - on road he said (we did trail last week) but being a novice (relatively) I didn’t zoom in to check the route before we set off, first 4 miles were fine on road/paths and then middle 4 miles were all off road on very very sloppy and slippy mud then last nearly 4 miles on road again. Ooops

anyone else notice that with the Garmin routes at all? Even if you pick road running on options it still send you down lots of trail bits too. I’m guessing if I picked trail it would send me through the city centre? Lol 😂 

Slippy and slidey is the way to go in these months 

im barely managing 7min/Km splits at the moment and trudging through sludge and getting wet feet in brooks….

But, being able to go on a trail and not see a soul for 10km is good for the soull!

went out yesterday…. Ooopph that was bracing!!!

Never tried Garmin routes by the way

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/12/2020 at 12:44, Bob Weasel Fox said:

How’s everyone else getting on? 

im planning a trot around Bradgate Park on Boxing Day hopefully 

it’s beautiful running around there 

Nice, I’ll do that sometime.

Its crazy really, I’ve never been a runner until lockdown hit and in June/July I felt like I could keep running faster and faster to the point my best 5k time is 21.09 but as I know the absolute hell I have to go through for that I can’t bring myself to properly go for that.

Might be something to do with putting on some more weight and muscle.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Nice, I’ll do that sometime.

Its crazy really, I’ve never been a runner until lockdown hit and in June/July I felt like I could keep running faster and faster to the point my best 5k time is 21.09 but as I know the absolute hell I have to go through for that I can’t bring myself to properly go for that.

Might be something to do with putting on some more weight and muscle.

I can’t gee myself up for 3 mile runs anymore at all. 5/6 miles at least usually to get into a flow and when I am running better half marathons seem to suit me more. 

I was 17st up to 3 years ago and was bench pressing up to 120/130Kg but now just do a couple of days a week with some weights to keep me going. I find the balance with my running is better.  Having said that I am obviously not as strong anymore but feel generally fitter I guess. 

whatever suits you bud, just found personally as I got older the balance seemed better this way for me. Have a great Christmas bud :vardy:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

I can’t gee myself up for 3 mile runs anymore at all. 5/6 miles at least usually to get into a flow and when I am running better half marathons seem to suit me more. 

I was 17st up to 3 years ago and was bench pressing up to 120/130Kg but now just do a couple of days a week with some weights to keep me going. I find the balance with my running is better.  Having said that I am obviously not as strong anymore but feel generally fitter I guess. 

whatever suits you bud, just found personally as I got older the balance seemed better this way for me. Have a great Christmas bud :vardy:

Thanks mate. I’m 5.8 and weigh 11 stone or just under and don’t lift any weights although I do a lot of body weight exercises.

I know what you mean re longer runs, 5k is horrible compared to 10k or longer but most of the time I’m running in my hour lunch so that limits me although I’m not that bothered, feel like I hit my limit time wise and im fine with that as long as I don’t go too far backwards.

Have a great Christmas.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Thanks 1

The last time I went running I was starting to feel a bit unwell from what turned out to be COVID-19. It went surprisingly well, all things considered.

Feeling much better now, although intrigued as to whether it's going to have any effect on my already dubious athletic prowess

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thanks mate. I’m 5.8 and weigh 11 stone or just under and don’t lift any weights although I do a lot of body weight exercises.

I know what you mean re longer runs, 5k is horrible compared to 10k or longer but most of the time I’m running in my hour lunch so that limits me although I’m not that bothered, feel like I hit my limit time wise and im fine with that as long as I don’t go too far backwards.

Have a great Christmas.

Cheers buddy

you have a great Christmas and New Year too 

Edited by Bob Weasel Fox

Hi guys I’ve just signed up. I hadn’t ran for about 10yrs until a few weeks ago. At 51 I am at my heaviest ever weight 11st 12lb
so it was a case of cutting down on beer and takeaways or doing some exercise other than the odd round of golf.

I thought I’d start off nice and easy with a mile jog and was shocked to be gasping for air after about 100yrds.lol.

Anyway I’m up to about 4 miles now at the weekend, and try to do a short run during the week. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Spiritwalker said:

Hi guys I’ve just signed up. I hadn’t ran for about 10yrs until a few weeks ago. At 51 I am at my heaviest ever weight 11st 12lb
so it was a case of cutting down on beer and takeaways or doing some exercise other than the odd round of golf.

I thought I’d start off nice and easy with a mile jog and was shocked to be gasping for air after about 100yrds.lol.

Anyway I’m up to about 4 miles now at the weekend, and try to do a short run during the week. 

Got your invite…. Welcome along!

it’ll take a couple of weeks to get up to speed, but, you’ll be fine before you know it!!!

try walking and running as you build up?

• Like 1

Went for first post COVID run earlier. Only managed 3 miles, but felt basically ok - probably no worse than I normally would after 3 weeks out.

Quite a relief in a way - although I feel generally fine all this stuff about people still feeling the effects months later was making me a bit nervous

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Went for first post COVID run earlier. Only managed 3 miles, but felt basically ok - probably no worse than I normally would after 3 weeks out.

Quite a relief in a way - although I feel generally fine all this stuff about people still feeling the effects months later was making me a bit nervous

I was running just after  COVID…. I just didn’t appreciate I’d had it…

glad it got you lightly 

1 hour ago, DB11 said:

After not running much at all recently and doing spin instead at home went out the other day and did my longest distance ever of 22km so my first half marathon! First 15 or so km was also my fastest pace so managed a PB 10k and 10 miles before my legs were in bits.

That’s great going! 

I absolutely loathe running outside at this time of year. Freezing cold, often raining, a lack of light, etc. I wrap up warm, but then during running get too hot, so start taking layers off and then get back home and feel like I've got partial hypothermia! Rinse and repeat ad nauseum. Running around lunchtime is OK (nice even), which I try to do on the weekends, but weekdays I have to run after office hours and it's never fun. Gyms and treadmills for me can't come back soon enough!

Anyway very good running from everybody, and big respect to all those running at this time of year.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I absolutely loathe running outside at this time of year. Freezing cold, often raining, a lack of light, etc. I wrap up warm, but then during running get too hot, so start taking layers off and then get back home and feel like I've got partial hypothermia! Rinse and repeat ad nauseum. Running around lunchtime is OK (nice even), which I try to do on the weekends, but weekdays I have to run after office hours and it's never fun. Gyms and treadmills for me can't come back soon enough!

Anyway very good running from everybody, and big respect to all those running at this time of year.  

I don’t mind it this time ….  I did one run in -13 in Norway with snow on the ground and did a 10km PB - my body was red raw afterwards 

I don’t do running in the dark…. I can always sneak out for a bit

can get a bit mushy out there (I do most my running off road) and it takes a lot longer to get round!  But, winter has its own charm 

• Like 1