Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

I’ve only been running 2/3 time’s a week since my marathon (was 4/5 times a week minimum) but I am still full of various niggles Left heel, both ankles, hip pain, lower back pain etc etc 

going out in a min for (what I hope) will be a fairly decent long run - we will see. Not feeling great at present (although I do know some of that is MH not so good presently)

• Like 1

On 28/10/2020 at 14:41, Xen said:

Did my first mini-interval session yesterday after not really running for 3 weeks. My knee/IT band felt fine during it, but has been a bit sore today. Frustrating, hopefully it just needs easing back in and some extra strength work.

Pacing still felt manageable at least, although my endurance just isn't there at the moment. Oh well. Sub20 5k in 2020 probably wont be feasible if I have to build up my mileage gradually again rather than going straight into a training plan, but I'll still give it a go and see how I get on. Just under a minute that I need to knock off from my PB (set in May).

Seems to have got even more sore over the last few days. Gah. IT Band issues are the worst, I always end up feeling fine then coming back a tiny bit too soon and setting it back further. Super annoying, especially as not once over the last few weeks have I ever felt 'injured' per se, but I know if I tried my usual volume then it'd just blow up completely. 

Got the exercise bike out and going to start doing a few spin sessions to try and keep my legs moving and cardio up, and actually do the strength/conditioning work that I keep saying I'm going to do. Then when I am ready I think I'm going to keep the overall mileage low, but try and restart the run streak that I had some success with back at the start of lockdown. The consistency seemed to help a lot until a non-running issue forced me to stop, so picking that back up may be just what I need to get back into it.

Oh well. At least I'm not missing out on any races or anything.

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Seems to have got even more sore over the last few days. Gah. IT Band issues are the worst, I always end up feeling fine then coming back a tiny bit too soon and setting it back further. Super annoying, especially as not once over the last few weeks have I ever felt 'injured' per se, but I know if I tried my usual volume then it'd just blow up completely. 

Got the exercise bike out and going to start doing a few spin sessions to try and keep my legs moving and cardio up, and actually do the strength/conditioning work that I keep saying I'm going to do. Then when I am ready I think I'm going to keep the overall mileage low, but try and restart the run streak that I had some success with back at the start of lockdown. The consistency seemed to help a lot until a non-running issue forced me to stop, so picking that back up may be just what I need to get back into it.

Oh well. At least I'm not missing out on any races or anything.

Have you ever had a proper deep sports massage on your IT bands Xen?

I’ve always suffered from tight IT bands and had a sports massage on them a few years ago. Don’t think I’ve ever experienced such pure pain and agony but it definitely did the trick :thumbup:

59 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Have you ever had a proper deep sports massage on your IT bands Xen?

I’ve always suffered from tight IT bands and had a sports massage on them a few years ago. Don’t think I’ve ever experienced such pure pain and agony but it definitely did the trick :thumbup:

Yeah, I had one back in March for some different issues and it helped a lot with that. I'd thought about it again but haven't got around to it for various reasons, really need to make the effort to get one soon.

I know exactly what you mean about the pain/agony, though. I knew they were meant to hurt but jeez. Felt light as a feather a few days later though, so clearly it does the job! :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have finally found out a couple of possible reasons I’ve been running like a 3 legged hippo for the last couple of months 

I have gone back up to 15st and at 5’8” tall that’s not so good (was 17st 3 years ago before I lost 4 stone by running and eating well and Joe wicks etc) 

coupled with a bit of a MH issue or two which has made me feel like a sack of shit recently 

anyway onwards and back upwards shortly I hope. I have started eating more sensibly again and taken some time off work to slowly feel better. The only way is up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

So I have finally found out a couple of possible reasons I’ve been running like a 3 legged hippo for the last couple of months 

I have gone back up to 15st and at 5’8” tall that’s not so good (was 17st 3 years ago before I lost 4 stone by running and eating well and Joe wicks etc) 

coupled with a bit of a MH issue or two which has made me feel like a sack of shit recently 

anyway onwards and back upwards shortly I hope. I have started eating more sensibly again and taken some time off work to slowly feel better. The only way is up

Glad to hear you are back on the up mate, I often find exercise to be great help for mental health.

• Thanks 1

Had to laugh today. Went for a 5 or 6 mile run and on way home went to go through a short cut path across some fields but where gates were across from one field to another there stood 5/6 horses literally blocking the whole path to the point you couldn’t even squeeze past them. Other walkers also were turning around at this point as we all had a go at “shooing” the horses on but they just wouldn’t budge. 

eventually thought ok I will go the long way around which I knew would add around a mile or so on top of the route I had planned. Then went to go through where I thought there was another short cut through Ratby and took not one but 2 wrong turns up dead ends with no footpath and eventually ended up going through a slightly different short cut across a really muddy field, obviously as my “planned route” was all paths I was wearing road trainers - doh 🙄 so you can imagine I was just slipping and sliding across this muddy field until eventually I got home.

total distance over 7 miles but you know what, dodgy path blocking horses and wrong turns and muddy fields aside I still really enjoyed that run. Seems typical for my luck at present but you know what I enjoyed it very much anyway. 

hows you all doing boys and girls? 

Edited by Bob Weasel Fox
  • Haha 1

On 30/10/2020 at 13:37, Xen said:

Yeah, I had one back in March for some different issues and it helped a lot with that. I'd thought about it again but haven't got around to it for various reasons, really need to make the effort to get one soon.

I know exactly what you mean about the pain/agony, though. I knew they were meant to hurt but jeez. Felt light as a feather a few days later though, so clearly it does the job! :) 

How are you getting on at the moment @Xen?

also @Izzyhows your running going?

and everyone else?

I started up again with my running, after picking up a knee strain in August. 

I still find it weird that cardiovascular wise, I feel fine when running, it’s just the previously broken bits that hurt too much. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

and everyone else?

I'm struggling atm mate tbh :(

I was smashing my PB's on the treadmill at the gym before they closed but I'm just shit at running outside.

Been on a couple of outdoor runs but back to my old Achilles's problem and now shin splints too. Maybe I'm just to fragile and need the soft cushioning of a treadmill in my old age :D

Hopefully only 2 weeks until the gym re-opens and then I'll be back on it :fc:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

hows you all doing boys and girls? 

Rediscovering my mojo

Over the last three weeks I have been out 3/4 times a week and managed 65km over that period

i never stopped running, I just did a lot more walking with my wife instead (she can’t run currently)

I hope to end the year on 750km and keep to around 20km a week…. 

Motivation can often come and go, but, I’ve been pretty good for around 5 years now…

Next target is to lose a few pounds so that I can a bit faster!

I am also considering a rowing machine for cardio and using more muscles…

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm struggling atm mate tbh :(

I was smashing my PB's on the treadmill at the gym before they closed but I'm just shit at running outside.

Been on a couple of outdoor runs but back to my old Achilles's problem and now shin splints too. Maybe I'm just to fragile and need the soft cushioning of a treadmill in my old age :D

Hopefully only 2 weeks until the gym re-opens and then I'll be back on it :fc:

Fingers crossed 🤞 for you Izzy 

frustrating isn’t it. I hope and pray we all get some good news soon and life (sort of) can go back to being as normal as possible 

Re your shin splints, are you wearing the same trainers outside that you would use for the treadmill? I’m only asking that as I used to a few years ago and had similar problems and it was because you basically need different styles of trainers for treadmills generally (don’t quote me but more of a harder heavier type trainer for the treadmill due to the bounce? ) 

anyway just a thought as you might need a lighter (or different style) for outdoors running?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Rediscovering my mojo

Over the last three weeks I have been out 3/4 times a week and managed 65km over that period

i never stopped running, I just did a lot more walking with my wife instead (she can’t run currently)

I hope to end the year on 750km and keep to around 20km a week…. 

Motivation can often come and go, but, I’ve been pretty good for around 5 years now…

Next target is to lose a few pounds so that I can a bit faster!

I am also considering a rowing machine for cardio and using more muscles…

To be fair buddy I had noticed some good runs you had posted on Strava recently. Brilliant stuff keep it up 👍 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Fingers crossed 🤞 for you Izzy 

frustrating isn’t it. I hope and pray we all get some good news soon and life (sort of) can go back to being as normal as possible 

Re your shin splints, are you wearing the same trainers outside that you would use for the treadmill? I’m only asking that as I used to a few years ago and had similar problems and it was because you basically need different styles of trainers for treadmills generally (don’t quote me but more of a harder heavier type trainer for the treadmill due to the bounce? ) 

anyway just a thought as you might need a lighter (or different style) for outdoors running?

Yeah, they're the same trainers mate. If I was a serious runner like you, I'd invest in another pair for outdoors :P

Bottom line is that I really don't enjoy running outdoors. It's either too hot, too cold, too wet or too windy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

and everyone else?

Didn't get to see my physio or get a sports massage pre-lockdown, so still holding out on that and hoping for something this side of Christmas. In the meantime I've kinda sacked off any running aspirations I had for the remainder of the year and just trying to get a relatively steady 5k in every 3 days to keep some fitness, whilst I deal with a few other non-running things and rehab the IT band which still isn't quite right. Not that I've actually been doing any rehab exercises, mind... :dunno:

Over Lockdown2.0 I've been thinking that whilst I'm good at making grand plans that are well thought out, I'm not that good at actually giving myself the resources (tangible, mental and abstract) to see them through. Trying to take some of this 'down' time to better set myself up for a second crack at my 2020 goals in 2021. Some of that's running specific, some not.

Bit of a mixed bag, really, but things seem to be on the right track, at least :) 

• Like 2

I had a layoff due to possible Covid/illness and a foot injury. Work is busy, sometimes it just isn't workable running in the evening. 

Quite depressing seeing myself lose speed on times. But the recovery has started. Whilst I think lockdown might be relaxed in early December, I suspect competitive grass roots sports might be off. So with the time at the weekends, I have started training for another half (target of Xmas Eve) and it's going to be quite interesting to see the improvements hopefully. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I had a layoff due to possible Covid/illness and a foot injury. Work is busy, sometimes it just isn't workable running in the evening. 

Quite depressing seeing myself lose speed on times. But the recovery has started. Whilst I think lockdown might be relaxed in early December, I suspect competitive grass roots sports might be off. So with the time at the weekends, I have started training for another half (target of Xmas Eve) and it's going to be quite interesting to see the improvements hopefully. 

This is a real struggle for me too. I went for a run last night, but when it's really dark and often wet and blustery it's no fun at all. And this is before it gets really cold which it will do over the next 2-3 months.

Maybe I will go for a lunchtime run instead, but the problem then is that you are limited to how far you can run and then if you take into account having a shower and getting changed afterwards, it's not really that feasible.

I'm still doing one big run at the weekends, but I've definitely noticed I've lost a lot of the pace I could run at earlier in the year. Gyms need to open back up again ASAP! 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

I decided to get the eldest to come running with me tonight. I’m not a fan of running outside in the dark.

Any recommendations from more season people? 

Do I need a headlight? 
Any tips for running in the wet and wind? 

Went for a 5k this evening, first one in six weeks (two 10km’s in that time) and it is certainly a rubbish feeling seeing the slower pace/time from when I was running more regularly. Just goes to show how quick you lose it - it’s not as if I’ve stopped exercising as I’ve been using the exercise bike but still, different sorts I guess! No doubt I’d get the pace back within a few weeks if I carried on going but still.

Just for a reality booster though I checked my runs from a year ago - I’m still 20 seconds a KM quicker than I was managing 4k (and 1 minute 40 seconds a KM quicker than when I very first started out 18 months... although that was 6 stone ago too!)

• Like 1

I'm still doing 5k runs 3 times a week. Feeling really good for it but the cold and damper weather make it a bit of a chore to get the motivation to go. Think I'll start going to the gym when it reopens to carry on with it.

Also seem to be getting shin splints which is a nuisance!

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Do any of you have any experience of using compression tights/leggings?

The last time I went on a long-distance hike I suffered badly with swollen feet and I've since seen leggings as an answer to this.

I haven’t and even if they don’t work at least you look cool.

1 hour ago, deejdeej said:

I'm still doing 5k runs 3 times a week. Feeling really good for it but the cold and damper weather make it a bit of a chore to get the motivation to go. Think I'll start going to the gym when it reopens to carry on with it.

Also seem to be getting shin splints which is a nuisance!

I used to get these a lot. The best thing I found for sorting them, other than stretching the heck out of my calves, was massaging the opposite side of my leg from where it was actually hurting. I cannot remember who told me this, or why it helps, but it seemed to work for me, at least

• Thanks 1

So - a little community update!

we are now up to 41 runners and managed 420km last week (and that’s without @StriderHiryu contributing his usual 100km!!!)

I hoped for 5 or 6 when I first kicked this off - so getting 41 people is great - hopefully it’s given people a bit of a spark to get out there…

All in all I love how positive and supportive the thread is…. Maybe in the new year a few of us could meet up for a quick lope round Vicky park?!!!

Well done to Jason, Marvin and Lewis for topping the leaderboard 

0AA92907-38EF-413B-B75E-C94479629809.jpeg

22ADFD92-1F03-4CAC-A5FA-A7583315290C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1