Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Cricket 2020

Massive congratulations to Stuart Broad, incredible feat. I saw some of his first class debut at Oakham School in 2005 and he was impressive then.

Hopefully another poke in the eye for twats like Agnew who seem desperate to bin off smaller counties- there you go, one has helped produce and nurture the 7th highest wicket taker in Test history and an England great.

I know they want to believe every England hero should come from Surrey and Yorkshire but thankfully others can still contribute.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Corky said:

Massive congratulations to Stuart Broad, incredible feat. I saw some of his first class debut at Oakham School in 2005 and he was impressive then.

Hopefully another poke in the eye for twats like Agnew who seem desperate to bin off smaller counties- there you go, one has helped produce and nurture the 7th highest wicket taker in Test history and an England great.

I know they want to believe every England hero should come from Surrey and Yorkshire but thankfully others can still contribute.

On your latter point, why do people such as those you mentioned want to bin off smaller counties or wish all players came from the bigger ones?

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

On your latter point, why do people such as those you mentioned want to bin off smaller counties or wish all players came from the bigger ones?

I think there's a belief that we play too much cricket, and that the Australian system of six states provides better cricket and tougher players. There's such a disparity financially between counties with Test venues and those without that the thoughts are if four or six smaller counties just went the standard would improve.

There's a real snobbery in county cricket, far worse than football. In the main, people see the lower leagues as vital for communities and for producing young talent but in cricket, too many are seen as a nuisance despite players like Broad, Cook, Trescothick all coming from places where Test cricket has never been played.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corky said:

I think there's a belief that we play too much cricket, and that the Australian system of six states provides better cricket and tougher players. There's such a disparity financially between counties with Test venues and those without that the thoughts are if four or six smaller counties just went the standard would improve.

There's a real snobbery in county cricket, far worse than football. In the main, people see the lower leagues as vital for communities and for producing young talent but in cricket, too many are seen as a nuisance despite players like Broad, Cook, Trescothick all coming from places where Test cricket has never been played.

The perfect example of that was this interview last year, in which Trevor Bayliss simultaneously criticised Division Two for not preparing English talent well enough... while also claiming it had prepared Australian talent (Labuschagne) for The Ashes too well!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27641582/trevor-bayliss-calls-fewer-counties-better-pitches-bridge-huge-gap-international-level

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The perfect example of that was this interview last year, in which Trevor Bayliss simultaneously criticised Division Two for not preparing English talent well enough... while also claiming it had prepared Australian talent (Labuschagne) for The Ashes too well!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27641582/trevor-bayliss-calls-fewer-counties-better-pitches-bridge-huge-gap-international-level

Division Two won't prepare English talent to the top standard- you wouldn't expect England footballers to come straight from the Championship. But it gives them a chance to play at a younger age with the spotlight off.

Just hope it is pointed out the next time someone suggests numbers should be cut that smaller clubs can produce top England players. Broad with us (and Taylor would've been a long-term England player as well but for his health concerns), Swann and Panesar (who was very good for a spell) at Northants to name a few.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

I think the West Indians must be the most likable test team in history.

Other than Gabriel there isn't anyone in that team that seems to have a bad bone in their body. All very humble.

Then they Take to the field..!!

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

What do you mean?

Gabriel is a Good example ..he like Broad,carries his Emotion on his sleeve....

The rest can be explained by a Sky favourite....

Michael Holding,humble,Quiet occasionally Shows annoyance....but had a perfect nickname 'Whispering death.'

They know how to channel & translate their Nasty & sport-arrogance & emotions to the field....I

Then when they are in Top They usually are pretty Good at timing und turning on deqn  their intimidation....(positively seen)

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I think the West Indians must be the most likable test team in history.

Other than Gabriel there isn't anyone in that team that seems to have a bad bone in their body. All very humble.

Are they well liked because they are not very good!. If they were always winning would people like them less. People always like galant losers.

Well 2nd One day....

Irland are Short again of a competitive score...Their bowlers have a Job to do...

Roy & Vince Miss out again...But Roy isnt the One under threat....

Vince slowly reaching... "Last chance saloon".. Shame hes got the strokes.....

34 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Stuart Broad being OTT ? Never !!!!!!! lol

He's a great bowler and I like him as he made his name with us.

The downside is I always got the impression that him and his Dad thought they were too good for us, and also he's a Forest fan.

Edited by Blue Fox 72

2 hours ago, Walkers said:

Whats the thinking behind this maximum overs in the first innings thing in the Bob Willis trophy?

Possibly an attempt to force more results due to the shortness of the season? Groups could end up being very tight, especially given how up and down the weather has been lately.