Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Cricket 2020

We always struggle in the 1St test in every series.....

One day we will get it right....

We have found 2 good openers...but like the other following 3-5 batsman,they have to find that 1St test,1st innings...Inside discipline & concentration..

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Am I imaging things or do England just not believe in turning up for the first game of a series? Like ever? 

You'll probably batter them every other game but you seem to start like shit. 

England & Wales Cricket Board. ;)

It does seem to be becoming a bit of a habit, but there's no excuse for it. Both teams are in the same boat.

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Am I imaging things or do England just not believe in turning up for the first game of a series? Like ever? 

Think it's more that we're just doggo tbh. We don't have a teams worth of top-level players and haven't for a while. We might still be able to bully the likes of Ireland and the West Indies but we are quite a way off Australia and India.

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

Think it's more that we're just doggo tbh. We don't have a teams worth of top-level players and haven't for a while. We might still be able to bully the likes of Ireland and the West Indies but we are quite a way off Australia and India.

2-1 series wins don't constitute bullying in my opinion, especially in an era where there's no such thing as a dead rubber in any series any more.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I've always wondered why there's never been a greater movement for Wales to play independently, guess finances would be an issue.

Ben a while since a Welshman played for England, but Phil Salt's banging down the door to get a run out at the minute...

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

I've always wondered why there's never been a greater movement for Wales to play independently, guess finances would be an issue.

Ben a while since a Welshman played for England, but Phil Salt's banging down the door to get a run out at the minute...

It's just not a big sport outside the very top is it? Netherlands, Scotland, Ireland, they've got their own representation but they're only ever going to be fringe teams playing to take part. 

Nobody's that fussed about Welsh representation I suppose for the same reason Eoin Morgan plays for England. You might as well just lump on for the team that's at least competitive if you're eligible. 

Cricket isn't a massive part of the Welsh consciousness, it definitely means more to the Irish I think than it does to us. 

We're a tiny ass country, its a miracle we compete as well as we do in rugby and football (albeit with a fair share of English born help in the latter.) I can't see Wales ever managing to put out much of a competitive cricket side on a regular basis. 

Broad will be fancying a move back up the order soon! 

Pakistan probably only need 200 here I'd say. With our batting effectively ending at 6 I can't see us chasing anything above 300. When we have to play Stokes solely as a batsman it highlights the unbelievable balance he brings to the team, think it was Nasser who said earlier that it's like having two cricketers in one. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Osavo said:

Broad will be fancying a move back up the order soon! 

Pakistan probably only need 200 here I'd say. With our batting effectively ending at 6 I can't see us chasing anything above 300. When we have to play Stokes solely as a batsman it highlights the unbelievable balance he brings to the team, think it was Nasser who said earlier that it's like having two cricketers in one. 

I'd have said that but then England have got that in dramatic fashion so Pakistan might want to up the amount of runs they get to make absolutely sure lol

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Pakistan normally seem to trouble us over here, their bowling attack looks very good at the moment.

Although the drops and missed stumpings in their first innings cost 110, their lead was 107. Our fielding and keeping hasn't been good enough for a long time.

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Dear goodness,that looked nasty for Root. He'll not play in this series again, I think.

And he's back in the slips lol

For a guy that has a bad injury why would you have him in a catching position? I reckon if he doesn't have that injury, Stokes doesn't go for it...? 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

And he's back in the slips lol

For a guy that has a bad injury why would you have him in a catching position? I reckon if he doesn't have that injury, Stokes doesn't go for it...? 

It did look really nasty! Evidently it isn't broken or he wouldn't be out there again.

And yeah, why on Earth is he in the slips right now?

50 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's just not a big sport outside the very top is it? Netherlands, Scotland, Ireland, they've got their own representation but they're only ever going to be fringe teams playing to take part. 

Nobody's that fussed about Welsh representation I suppose for the same reason Eoin Morgan plays for England. You might as well just lump on for the team that's at least competitive if you're eligible. 

Cricket isn't a massive part of the Welsh consciousness, it definitely means more to the Irish I think than it does to us. 

We're a tiny ass country, its a miracle we compete as well as we do in rugby and football (albeit with a fair share of English born help in the latter.) I can't see Wales ever managing to put out much of a competitive cricket side on a regular basis. 

Yeah I guess people just aren't fussed. If you want to support a Welsh team you just follow Glamorgan at county level (think they scout all over Wales and play one game a year at Colwyn Bay, as well as Cardiff, Swansea and - as of last year - Newport) or the Welsh Minor Counties team. Robert Croft always said he equated playing for Glamorgan to playing for Wales and playing for England to the British Lions in rugby. The amateur scene in Wales is actually pretty decent I think, and still produces its fair share of good cricketers.

Scottish cricketers always just used to play for England if they were good enough, but with the way their national team's come on it's not a straightforward progression now. Likewise with Ireland. I'd love to see a few more European nations make the step up but, as with everything, it needs the ICC and India's lapdogs of England and Australia to actually show some willing to grow the game in order for that to happen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

There’s been a good argument recently that the exclusion / death of the Welsh, Scottish, Irish, Dutch, Danish select teams in one day cricket who’d play the old Natwest Trophy has hurt the sport in those countries more than help them. 

Scotland and Ireland are certainly more professional than they were in their national teams. But there’s a huge drop off and for example Ireland’s players are now considered overseas players. They need their A teams playing good standard cricket to bring players on

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

There’s been a good argument recently that the exclusion / death of the Welsh, Scottish, Irish, Dutch, Danish select teams in one day cricket who’d play the old B&H Trophy has hurt the sport in those countries more than help them. 

Scotland and Ireland are certainly more professional than they were. But there’s a huge drop off and for example Ireland’s players are now considered overseas players. They need their A teams playing good standard cricket to bring players on

I think Leicestershire played all those sides in the past 20 years (I certainly remember seeing us play Scotland and Ireland at Grace Road). Scotland came into the one-day league for a few years too. Losing that variety was a real shame for the game, the NatWest Trophy had a brilliant mix of counties, minor counties, board XI's and minor nations.

Ireland have moved on hugely, the likes of Stirling, Rankin, Porterfield, the O'Brien's, Joyce all had long county careers. The last good Scottish player was Dougie Brown at Warwickshire and that was around 20 years ago.

On another note, great to see Claude Henderson involved with England. A true warrior in the tough days post Division One from 2004 through the T20 Cup wins.

1 hour ago, Corky said:

I think Leicestershire played all those sides in the past 20 years (I certainly remember seeing us play Scotland and Ireland at Grace Road). Scotland came into the one-day league for a few years too. Losing that variety was a real shame for the game, the NatWest Trophy had a brilliant mix of counties, minor counties, board XI's and minor nations.

Ireland have moved on hugely, the likes of Stirling, Rankin, Porterfield, the O'Brien's, Joyce all had long county careers. The last good Scottish player was Dougie Brown at Warwickshire and that was around 20 years ago.

On another note, great to see Claude Henderson involved with England. A true warrior in the tough days post Division One from 2004 through the T20 Cup wins.

The article I read made the point that the younger lads who were on show in this three match series for Ireland now have no challenging cricket ahead of them. If there was something similar to a Ireland A capable of playing county sides, it would help them hugely 

36 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The article I read made the point that the younger lads who were on show in this three match series for Ireland now have no challenging cricket ahead of them. If there was something similar to a Ireland A capable of playing county sides, it would help them hugely 

Understand why they did it but their FC teams would have been better off joining our Div 2. A maximum of 12 days of red ball cricket a year is no preparation for a Test nation.