Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WarehamFox

Player of the season!

Bronze Medal to Wilfred Ndidi - A model of consistency and it shows just how much we miss him by our win rate without him. If he was fit a bit more often he'd probably be gold. Can easily support an argument for him to be player of the year. Wouldnt grumble if he got it at all.

Silver Medal to Jonny Evans - The best centre half in the premier league that isnt Van Dyk. In my humble opinion.

Gold Medal to Jamie Vardy - Golden Boot on the way. We just aren't the same without him. Get the statue built as soon as he retires. 

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Not sure we've ever had more viable options for this. 

Could make watertight cases for Vards, Evans, Riccy P and Onyinye Wilfred Ndidi. 

Perhaps even our big cocked Turk too.

Guest Cujek

Vardy if he finishes the leagues top scorer, even if he dont you could make a strong case for him anyway.

Then second place is Riccy, then Evans or Ndidi

Guest An Sionnach

Jonny Evans is one of the best centre backs in Europe , even recently when we have been misfiring he has kept up his standard . He could drop into any top club anywhere and do an excellent job.

It’s a joy to watch Ricardo race up the wing and Soyuncu is every bit a surprise world class defender. Vardy’s on the pitch team shepherding and goals have shaped the team and given us our victories. But Ndidi’s sudden leap from excellent defensive midfielder to coming close to Kanté’s brilliance is phenomenal. I feel the same reassurance that Kanté gave, that we’ll win the ball back and make something happen, when I see Ndidi near the ball now. While he’s not quite at the same level he’s getting within spitting distance, which is incredible. Ricardo gives us a spark, Evans and Soyuncu form a solid base, Vardy will bring us the victories, but Ndidi is the engine and the link that brings it all together. If Vardy gets the golden boot, there’s no question who should win it, but the key player is clear.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on the games I've seen it's Ricardo for me with a Ndidi a close second.  Given all the speculation around Maddison and Chilwell being coveted by other clubs I really think these two are the ones other clubs will be circling like vultures for.  Important to tie them up on long contracts and keep them beyond the summer.

I may be being a bit harsh on Vardy but it's what I call the Larsson factor with him.  Every year Larsson played in Scotland he should have won player of the year but because it was just expected he'd score 40-50 goals a season it just became the norm, a victim of his own high standards essentially.  Vardy is in the same boat.

• Like 1

Regarding Evans, for me the thing that pushes him over the edge is that I feel he is our leader on the pitch. I know Kasper wears the armband and is a good captain, but Evans is the most influential. He has coached Soyuncu brilliantly, he often makes crucial tackles and interceptions, he was even the one that told the lads to get on with it to break the away win record against Southampton. You always see him talking and organising the back 4/5.

He has had a few bad games, but by and large he's been a colossus whenever called on. He could very easily start for Man City or even Liverpool with the consistency in his displays. Ricardo is also on that level, but not a leader like Evans, though I wouldn't be upset if Ricardo, Ndidi or Vardy won POTS. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Vardy, it's absolutely scandalous he's never won it. We are such a weird fan base where we vote defenders or defensive midfielders year in, year out

To be fair, in Vardy's better seasons we've had some bloody good defensive players. In the title season he lost out to Mahrez, and the CL season Schmeichel picked up the trophy (after some penalty heroics in the knockouts).

If he ends the season in good form and picks up the golden boot then he's got to be favourite for it, surely. If not, Ricardo has been Mr Consistent (again) and Evans has been impeccable at the back.

I'd go Vardy > Evans > Ricardo, and Barnes for Young PotY.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Evans IMO. Probably gets in the leagues team of the season too.

Reckon we'll see quite a few TOTS's posted by journalists which are just entire Liverpool XIs, so wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets omitted from the official one. Can't think of many better CBs this season though. 

Just now, Xen said:

Reckon we'll see quite a few TOTS's posted by journalists which are just entire Liverpool XIs, so wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets omitted from the official one. Can't think of many better CBs this season though. 

It's him alongside Van Dijk imo. Can think of anyone who's been consistently as good as those two. Liverpool haven't had a consistent partner for Van Dijk. Laporte has been injured for months. Rudiger is good, but not been fit all year. Maguire has picked up, but had a poor first half of the season. Can't see a good case for anyone else other than those two.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It's him alongside Van Dijk imo. Can think of anyone who's been consistently as good as those two. Liverpool haven't had a consistent partner for Van Dijk. Laporte has been injured for months. Rudiger is good, but not been fit all year. Maguire has picked up, but had a poor first half of the season. Can't see a good case for anyone else other than those two.

True, but there'll be lots of gushing over Liverpool and they'll find a way to stick Gomez in there I'm sure.

VVD + Evans would be my picks as well, with Soyuncu making the 'alternates' list with a few you mentioned.