Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Good Deeds & News (Corona)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52347123

Roma chief executive Guido Fienga has praised his players’ “superb gesture” after they volunteered to forgo four months’ salary to help the club during the coronavirus pandemic. 

The players, manager Paulo Fonseca and his staff will also pay the difference to ensure all club staff placed on furlough receive their full salary.

Led by captain Edin Dzeko, the team and Fonseca approached Roma's hierarchy.

“We always talk about unity at Roma,” said Fienga.

“In volunteering to cut their salaries for the rest of the season, the players, the coach and his staff, have all proved that we really are in this together.

“Edin Dzeko, all the players and Paulo have demonstrated they understand what this club 

stands for and we also thank them all for their superb gesture towards the employees at this club.”

Roma have not played since 1 March, just days before the Serie A season was postponed.

In a letter to Fienga, the players said: “We players are ready to start playing as soon as possible, giving the maximum to achieve our goals, but we also realise that all this will not be enough to face the economic consequences of the current emergency.

“With the hope of doing something that will help the company to better restart the Roma project that we all share, we offer this financial proposal.” 
Italy currently has the highest death toll from coronavirus in Europe, with more than 23,000 confirmed deaths.

• Like 1

Dexter Blackstock's journey from scoring goals to supplying PPE

Former striker runs a medical technology firm and hopes to distribute £1m of equipment to frontline staff amid coronavirus

Jacob Steinberg

Jacob Steinberg

Mon 20 Apr 2020 10.27 BSTLast modified on Mon 20 Apr 2020 11.09 BST

•  
  •  
  •  
Shares

Dexter Blackstock (right) is delivering personal protective equipment to frontline staff with the help of Blackburn’s Bradley Johnson (left).  Dexter Blackstock (right) is delivering personal protective equipment to frontline staff with the help of Blackburn’s Bradley Johnson (left). Photograph: Courtesy of Dexter Blackstock

I have been on hold for a few minutes, waiting for our interview to resume, when Dexter Blackstock comes back on the line and starts apologising for leaving me hanging. Given the reason for the delay, however, this really isn’t a case of bad manners. “Sorry,” Blackstock says. “That was just 500,000 masks coming into the country. They’ve just landed. It’s come from China and will go straight out to councils.”

No wonder Blackstock, who has been building connections in the pharmaceutical world since retiring from football in 2017, is in demand. The 33-year-old former Queens Park Rangers and Nottingham Forest striker is the founder and chief executive of a medical technology firm, MediConnect, and all he can think about now is getting personal protective equipment to frontline staff dealing with the coronavirus pandemic. “This is from when I wake up to when I sleep,” Blackstock says. “The demand is through the roof.”

It hardly needs pointing out that this is not a straightforward project. NHS staff are saying they do not have enough access to PPE, while a crisis is brewing in care homes and hospices in the UK. Yet Blackstock is confident that MediConnect, a Blockchain solution, can help. His company is accepting donations from the public via a crowd-funding website, donatetonhs.com, and he has enlisted the support of Blackburn’s Bradley Johnson, who has given his time to the project and committed to delivering life-saving equipment to frontline staff near his home in Derby.

“What MediConnect is meant for is to provide transparency for all parties within the supply chain,” Blackstock explains. “It’s to add traceability of medications, to stop opioid addiction. I was building the platform for a couple of years. You have to build a relationship with everyone along the supply chain – pharmacies, manufacturers, distributors, logistics companies – to bring it all together.

“PPE is one of the biggest problems people are struggling with. I have the connections – instead of people just coming out the woodwork – which means you can actually get the product. I can help source this.”

The idea grew after a conversation about fund-raising initiatives between Blackstock and Johnson, who has nothing but good to say about his friend’s entrepreneurial spirit. The website has already raised more than £12,000. Each donation can be followed up by an email request, directing it be supplied to wherever people feel it is needed.

“When people donate they can see what we’re spending the money on and what supplies we’re getting,” Johnson says. “It’s a step-by-step transaction. They can donate and once we make the order we’ll put it on our website so people can see the amount of stuff we’re getting.”

Dexter Blackstock celebrates after scoring for Nottingham Forest against Birmingham in February 2012.

Dexter Blackstock celebrates after scoring for Nottingham Forest against Birmingham in February 2012. Photograph: Jan Kruger/Getty Images

The aim is to go further than hospitals. “We know now how much of a shortage the NHS is going through,” Johnson says. “We want to target the NHS but also the care homes or key workers – like bus drivers who are putting their lives at risk transporting NHS staff. If we get in contact with people in Derby I’ll go out and deliver. We want it to be known we’re doing something. We’re not just sitting at home, wanting people’s money and then letting others do the work. We’re going to do it ourselves.”

Advertisement

Blackstock was 31 when he hung up his boots. He was going through the motions at Rotherham but he had planned for the future. Now he is in a position to talk about the shortage of PPE. “It’s like toilet paper a few weeks ago,” he says. “The product can be made in the quantity required. But if everyone rushes at one time you can’t get it. If everyone in England decides to go and buy baked beans tomorrow, there won’t be enough. The rush has been too quick and the numbers are too much. The problem wasn’t the PPE, it’s just the time.

“And there are a lot of people who’ve come out of the woodwork in between who are blocking deals or buying up the stock at the same time, meaning the government can’t buy it. This is worldwide. A lot of it is coming from China. China physically can’t produce that amount.

“The NHS has an endless backlog. They’re kind of bullying the supplier to say: ‘We’re the biggest players, we’ll pay the most money, we need it.’ But what is happening is the councils, the care homes, the hospices and everyone below can’t get the product. So there’s not enough that can be made to distribute. England have not got access to every warehouse in China or product worldwide.”

It sounds like a tricky world to negotiate. “You’ve seen some people sending money to factories that are not even there,” Blackstock says. “It’s really bad. If I just woke up today and tried to source PPE I’d get robbed from the first batch. I wouldn’t know where to go, I wouldn’t know how shipment works. I’d be finished. It can only be done from previous relationships, which I have.”

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.

Blackstock, who hopes to distribute £1m worth of equipment, speaks passionately on the issues in care homes. “Everyone has a feeling towards the NHS, but what I want to do more is get this money into the care homes, the hospices. They are on their knees. It’s not like we’re running out – we have run out for those people.

“It’s the food chain. If the NHS has a shortage, where does anyone below come? If you’re on the frontline, you need equipment and the best of it. But if you’re just a care home you’re not going to be at the top and they’re really struggling. They’ve been contacting me, saying: ‘We need 100 masks, we need 500 masks, we’ve got nothing, we’ve been using the masks too long.’ They’re worried. There might be places that might not have positive-tested Covid-19 patients at the moment but could at any minute. It’s spreading fast across the care homes.”

It is an initiative that jabs against the depiction of footballers as greedy and shielded from reality. “I’ll never forget where I’ve come from,” Johnson says. “My mum and dad didn’t struggle, but we had a tough upbringing. I come from a working-class family so I know how hard it is for some of these families. I’ll always remember that. The negative press, it’s sad we don’t get credit for the good stuff we do. Everyone’s quick to jump on the negative. That’s life. Me and Dex want to help.”

We can make our own PPE! 👐

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing
Image may contain: 1 person, standing
Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoor
University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation TrustLike Page

University Hospital Southampton has become the first healthcare provider in the country to widely introduce a pioneering protective respirator hood for staff treating patients with coronavirus (COVID-19).

The equipment, designed by researchers at the University of Southampton and the NIHR Southampton Biomedical Research Centre in collaboration with clinicians at UHS, was developed into a prototype in just a week, tested on wards and manufactured at scale in less than a month.

Known as PeRSo, it consists of a fabric hood which covers the wearer's head and a plastic visor to protect their face.

It delivers clean air through a High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter with belt-mounted fan pack, can be worn continuously for eight to nine hours and is reusable after appropriate cleaning.

Continue reading at https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/…/Hospital-trust-becomes-first-to-in…

• Like 1

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, car and outdoor
Image may contain: 1 person, sitting and beard
No photo description available.
No photo description available.
Leicestershire PoliceLike Page

A Leicestershire officer is helping to protect the NHS during the coronavirus crisis in more ways than one.

PC Maciej (Mack) Sokolowski is not only one of the force’s frontline officers - helping to ensure current Government guidance is followed, he’s also producing a vital piece of personal protective equipment (PPE).

Mack has been part of the policing family since 2009, the last five years as a cop, but he also runs a 3D printing company.

And while he’s usually creating battle figures and accessories for wargaming, he’s now turned his efforts to the battle on coronavirus – by making face mask straps for frontline healthcare staff.

When not in uniform patrolling as a beat officer in the Hinckley Road and Braunstone Gate area of Leicester, Mack has been creating around 50 straps a day on his two 3D printing machines to donate to the NHS.

The straps are designed to help alleviate discomfort around the ears that can be caused by the elastic on the masks.

Yesterday (23 April) he delivered around 350 straps to the Leicester Royal Infirmary’s (LRI) emergency department but he has also shipped to doctors and nurses in hospitals across Cambridge, Surrey and London after posting online about his product and being contacted by keyworkers.

He said: “My usual business has stopped during this time but as I have the equipment at home to be able help my colleagues in other frontline services who are tackling this pandemic head on.

“As a police officer I am doing my duty to help protect the NHS by reminding the communities in my beat to stay home but I can also help by creating parts of equipment we know is vital and in such high demand.

“I am pleased to be able to do my bit both in and out of uniform.”

Kerry Morgan, Deputy Head of Nursing for Emergency Care at the LRI, said: “On behalf of the Emergency Department staff I would like to express my thanks and gratitude to Mack for the face mask straps.

“This is a great example of frontline staff supporting one another and Mack’s kind gesture is very much appreciated.”

• Like 1

Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustLike Page

We are so happy to report that, in the past 24 hours, another four patients are now safely recovering at home following treatment for Covid-19. Continue to support us by staying home and limiting the spread of this horrible virus.

Figures detailing the number of patients who have died with coronavirus at Leicester's hospitals will not increase today as no new fatalities have been reported in the past 24 hours.

The deaths of five patients, aged between their 50s and 80s, were confirmed by the trust that runs the Leicester Royal Infirmary, Glenfield Hospital and Leicester General Hospital on Sunday.

No announcement has been made today.

So far, 196 people have died at the city's hospitals after testing positive for Covid-19.

At one stage, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust (UHL) was updating the numbers daily, with some statements revealing deaths in the double figures.

The fact that there has not been an announcement today does not mean there have not been virus-linked fatalities, as it can take time to process data and confirm cases.

6 hours ago, l444ry said:

Lunatic David Icke has had his Facebook page removed. Cause for celebration. 

Perhaps he'll finally find some sanity due to this and pipe down a bit..

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

The England men's team have made a "significant donation" to the NHS, using match fees dating back to September 2018.

The move comes in conjunction with the #PlayersTogether movement involving Premier League players.

Last month England women announced they would donate to the fund.

The Scotland men's and women's teams have also made a "substantial donation", joining England's men in giving to NHS Charities Together.

The donations come with the NHS on the frontline in Britain during the global coronavirus pandemic.

"We stand united as England players behind the nation during this crisis," the players said in a statement.

"Our collective prayers and thoughts remain with all those affected."

Andy Robertson, Scotland men's captain, said: "We have all been at home, taking the advice of medical advisers and watching the news that highlights the heroic efforts of our NHS.

"We have all been inspired by the selflessness of nurses, doctors and all healthcare workers on the frontline - it only reinforces how vital the NHS is to our country and how we must cherish and protect this institution."

The players' fund that already exists in England is used to support a selection of good causes, and a portion of that money is now steered directly towards the under-pressure health service during the coronavirus pandemic.

The England Footballers Foundation was set up in 2007 and was reported to have generated over £5m in the subsequent decade.

The current batch of funds covers all senior men's internationals since the 2018 World Cup, a total of 16 matches.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/health/leicester-hospitals-successfully-treated-discharged-4114894

Hundreds of coronavirus patients have been successfully discharged from Leicester’s Hospitals.

Some 535 patients have either been sent home to recover or transferred into the care of local community hospitals or care homes.

All of them tested positive for Covid-19 during a stay at the Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester General Hospital or the Glenfield Hospital.

And Andrew Furlong, medical director at Leicester's hospitals, said: “It’s always a joy when a patient is well enough to leave hospital.

"To see so many of those we have cared for, including those who have been extremely poorly, go back to their homes and families is a huge comfort and boost for our hard working team.

"We wish them all the best for their continued recovery."

• Like 2

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/bradgate-park-confirms-open-wednesday-4127411

Bradgate Park will re-open on Wednesday - with new rules in place to keep people safe.

Visitors have been asked to wear gloves while operating pay and display machines, come back another day if the parks are busy, and to observe social distancing at all times.

The Bradgate Park Trust said in a Facebook post this afternoon: “The trust can confirm that the trustees have agreed the re-opening proposals as of tomorrow, Wednesday May 13 for Bradgate Park and Swithland Wood.

“Please note, tearooms and the visitor centre will not be re-opening.

"Our primary focus will continue to be to maintain the welfare of visitors, staff and our neighbours.

“Whilst we appreciate people have missed visiting Bradgate Park and Swithland Wood, and with weather improving, we ask people review how busy the sites are and consider coming another day if needed.

"Please be considerate to neighbours if car parks are full and do not park dangerously on surrounding roads.”

The park was closed when lockdown measures were introduced by the Government.

With restrictions on time spent outdoors being relaxed from tomorrow and with people now allowed to drive to outdoor spaces, the decision was made to re-open the park.

The trust warned that the re-opening is subject to ongoing review and assessment.

Pay and display car park charges will apply.

The statement said: “Car parks will be opened daily by 9am.

"Visitors are asked to wear gloves when using the machines and to follow the systems in place to ensure social distancing.

“Machines will be sanitised throughout the day by staff, but help keep others safe by wearing gloves.

"Please follow the one-way systems on site to ensure social distancing.

"Car parking will be limited and monitored. Hours might vary based on the reduced team.”

The trust said that there will be a limited number of toilets open.

“We will be opening toilet blocks," the statement adds.

"In each block just one cubicle will be opened and only one person should be entering at one time to ensure social distancing.

"Please follow signage on site, social distancing and hygiene guidance."

An appeal for people to “play their part” made up part of the re-opening guidelines.

“Please play your part as we re-open. Ensure social distancing, take precautions by wearing gloves and follow the guidance on site.

"All normal guidance around cycling and dogs on a lead zones applies.

“Thank you for your patience as we have finalised this plan and all the positive messages of support for the charity in this challenging time.”

On the other hand

Rutland PoliceLike Page

Following information from RutlandWater today we have been informed it will be closed for the foreseeable future. Please can you forward this message to inform people considering travelling to Rutland and being disappointed.
Many thanks Pete