Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Most Important result in the title winning season

Most Important result in the title winning season  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Most important result

• Aston Villa 3-2 (h)
    • Spurs 1-0 (a)
    • Man City 3-1 (a)
    • West Ham 2-2 (h)
    • Norwich 1-0 (h)
    • Other

They were all huge in different ways. But I went for Norwich at home. We'd lost to Arsenal, we drew to WBA after, and I wonder if we hadn't won that game a mini-slump would have set in.

We'd already technically got enough points by the West Ham game, but maybe if we'd lost Tottenham would've smelled blood and chased us down more successfully. 

• Like 1

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Also when did you know we were gonna win it? I think it was the Ulloa penalty against West Ham for me

I thought we could win in at Watford away. Never allowed myself to think we would until Hazard's goal. 

• Like 1

Guest MattP

Man City the game that showed we were good enough.

Watford the game where I thought we finally might do it.

I'd give it to the win over Norwich though - psychologically it was like we needed that sort of late goal to kill the pain of the late goal in the game before at Arsenal.

Edited by MattP

8 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Also when did you know we were gonna win it? I think it was the Ulloa penalty against West Ham for me

Beating Stoke meant I could’t relax for the rest of the season…. It was the first moment I’d allowed myself to consider winning the thing as a possibility 

I used to wake up on match days with butterflies in my stomach…!

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

Guest Eamonn

I went for Man City. For me, that was a statement game. But maybe the defeat at Arsenal should get a mention, as it seemed to galvanise the squad.

Man City away was the 'You know what? We just might do this!' moment for me. Added to the fact that a good mate of mine - a big Man City fan whose football judgment was pretty sound - said to me as we walked away 'Your lot of bloody chancers are going to win the flipping league!' 

Or words to that effect...

Villa. There was something about the diminutive Dyer hurling himself at that ball for the winner. A three goal win from two down coming into the 72nd minute. Showed we had the passion, determination and fearlessness needed to win the title.

_85526242_dyergoal_pa.jpg

Also the week we drew with West brom at home on the Tuesday, feeling pretty downbeat only for Spurs and Arsenal to lose very winnable games on the Wednesday. And then go and draw against each afterwards

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Also the week we drew with West brom at home on the Tuesday, feeling pretty downbeat on my for Spurs and Arsenal to lose very winnable games on the Wednesday. And then go and draw against each afterwards

That was a crucial 7 days, from the Norwich win to the Watford win. That was the week we won it, in my opinion. 

You could go all the way back to the start tbh, as if such and such didn't happen then the rest wouldn't have followed.

Would any of this have happened if we didn't comfortably beat Sunderland on the first day? The West Ham win at Upton Park was a fantastic win at the time aswell.

Villa as others have already said was major. Our comebacks away at Stoke, Southampton and WBA.

Our run of wins before Christmas against Swansea, Chelsea and Everton allowed for a little blip after Christmas.

Tottenham away, then the run of Liverpool, Man City and even the Arsenal defeat, and the last minute winner vs Norwich.

We were disappointed with the WBA result only for our three title rivals to lose the next day, our run of 1-0 wins.

Then coming back after the international break at home to Southampton when all our games were moved to Sundays and again just doing enough in every game to see it out. Last minute equaliser against Jon Moss which i think Spurs then thrashed Stoke the next day to close the gap, for us to then thrash Swansea and watch Spurs mess up against WBA on the Monday night.

It feels like the majority of our games that season and obviously even more so the further into it was an occasion, a cup final, and we never froze. I don't recall there ever really being a game where I could super confidently say we were going to win. I guess the nerves stopped that from happening later on in the season lol

I've just seen our home and away record and it is ridiculously similar.

Home - W12 D6 L1 GF 35 GA 18

Away - W11 D6 L2 GF 33 GA 18.

i know the wording is slightly different in the thread title but if you wanna be super clever, you could say the most important result is West Ham/West Brom from the season before lol

Edited by Walkers

The Man City game made me believe that we were actually good enough to win it.

The Spurs game was a massive, massive win. The Liverpool 3-3 Arsenal game on the same night got a bigger cheer from me though as it meant the gap remained small (I think we were actually level with Arsenal on top).

None of it, absolutely none of it, would have happened if we hadn't beaten Villa. That game defined both of our seasons - not just the attitude of the players but the calibre of the managers. 

After Villa went 2-0 up Claudio subbed Inler and Albrighton for Kante and Ulloa - a central midfielder and a winger for a defensive midfield genius and a striker. 2 minutes later Sherwood, 2-0 up away from home, in response to a bolstered attack, took off an attacking midfielder for a striker. 5 minutes later De Laet scores from a corner. Sherwood's response? Not bolstering the defence - he replaces a striker for another striker. After we equalise Sherwood finally decides to bring on a defender - but for another defender. 2 minutes later Dyer gets the winner. Tactics Tim exposed as a fraud, and the result goes on to define the character of both teams for that season.

5pkZ2X.gif

Villa for me.

37 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

The Man City game was the game I thought we made a real statement and really put some message out that we're in for this til the end of the season at the very least, and not just on a fluke run for half a season.

If I remember correctly, it's a game we almost had to win to ensure we would stay top for another game-week. The day after, Spurs beat Swansea and we would have been 2nd if we didn't win and they bagged their 3 points. Psychologically, to win in such a fashion gave us that push to keep going. A last minute, literally earth-shattering winner :D 

And then it was just a bonus that they lost after we drew with West Brom in the next game. 

August the following season...Still Finding it difficult to realise we had taken the title,but the commentator telling all and Sundry,that Leicester City,the reigning

Champions selection will be looking different in the new season...No Kante..!!!