Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Most Important result in the title winning season

Most Important result in the title winning season  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Most important result

• Aston Villa 3-2 (h)
    • Spurs 1-0 (a)
    • Man City 3-1 (a)
    • West Ham 2-2 (h)
    • Norwich 1-0 (h)
    • Other

I voted Villa but thinking about it it was too early to be talking about top 4 let alone the title. The impact of losing that game is something we can only speculate on but the comeback wins/draws we made soon after that must have something to do with it 

5 hours ago, Walkers said:

You could go all the way back to the start tbh, as if such and such didn't happen then the rest wouldn't have followed.

Would any of this have happened if we didn't comfortably beat Sunderland on the first day? The West Ham win at Upton Park was a fantastic win at the time aswell.

Villa as others have already said was major. Our comebacks away at Stoke, Southampton and WBA.

Our run of wins before Christmas against Swansea, Chelsea and Everton allowed for a little blip after Christmas.

Tottenham away, then the run of Liverpool, Man City and even the Arsenal defeat, and the last minute winner vs Norwich.

We were disappointed with the WBA result only for our three title rivals to lose the next day, our run of 1-0 wins.

Then coming back after the international break at home to Southampton when all our games were moved to Sundays and again just doing enough in every game to see it out. Last minute equaliser against Jon Moss which i think Spurs then thrashed Stoke the next day to close the gap, for us to then thrash Swansea and watch Spurs mess up against WBA on the Monday night.

It feels like the majority of our games that season and obviously even more so the further into it was an occasion, a cup final, and we never froze. I don't recall there ever really being a game where I could super confidently say we were going to win. I guess the nerves stopped that from happening later on in the season lol

I've just seen our home and away record and it is ridiculously similar.

Home - W12 D6 L1 GF 35 GA 18

Away - W11 D6 L2 GF 33 GA 18.

i know the wording is slightly different in the thread title but if you wanna be super clever, you could say the most important result is West Ham/West Brom from the season before lol

I like you've highlighted the early part to that season. For me some away games early on up til Spurs in early Jan was magical. 

My big moment was Norwich away. Took a beating from Arsenal previous and we went there  with the new defence and overpowered them. We just had far too much all over the pitch. 

Kante coming on for Inler. away at Stoke.

Doing West Ham away. 

The absolute onslaught second half at Southampton to get a point

Vardy's wonderful breakaway goal at West Brom - 9 seconds from WBA corner to his goal

Swansea away could've been like Southampton away this season if all our chances went in

• Like 1

It is so hard to pick just one, but the one I think that's been missed off there is Swansea (h). I had been weirdly calm through a lot of it, but after we'd had the gap on us closed slightly, the thought of that game made me physically ill every time I thought about it. The thought of us blowing it from there was just too much. As it happened we thrashed them, but my god I was terrified before that.

That was also the weekend I knew we'd done it. Once the full time whistle went in Spurs v West Brom I just knew we had it.

Guest bss9401

I'm just reading this and keep thinking my Lord, what a squad of bloody heroes to have pulled this off over 38, not just any one single game.

Arsenal away was instrumental - a wave of emotions. Five points ahead of Arsenal - we would have taken a draw before the game. At half-time we had extended that to eight. Arsenal had been lacklustre and Vardy would have been licking his lips at the thought of racing past their donkeys at the back. Then a dodgy sending off- backs to the wall. Take a point now. Walcott equalises. Just hold on. A minute or so of added time left. Play on the Arsenal right- going nowhere. Wasilewski just stay tight and don’t give a free kick away. He gives a needless free kick away, Welbeck scores and the lead is down to two points- a six point change in the space of half an hour. Could we still do it ? 

Edited by 49er

Most important I'd say was winning at White Hart Lane.

The best I'd say was Manchester City away and that was definitely the day I thought "wow".

But there's plenty of important wins during the season, Norwich at home, Swansea at home, Sunderland away and even West Ham away who were a half decent side that season.

23 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

It would be interesting to put the question in this thread to the 2015/16 players.

I wonder if there'd be a consensus or a lot of different views?

I'd imagine it would be the Spurs game since the players were talking about the title to each other from about Christmas time.

• Thanks 1

In those closing seconds, with the Emirates awash with tension and anxiety, it looked like Leicester would secure a point that would feel like a victory to manager Claudio Ranieri and his players.

It would have been a draw achieved with a numerical disadvantage at the home of a title rival - and would have given them four precious points from visits to Manchester City and Arsenal.

Instead, Welbeck's intervention left Ranieri and his men desolate after an outstanding backs-to-the-wall performance, exemplified by the brilliance of keeper Schmeichel as he kept Arsenal at bay, with one late save from Giroud world-class especially notable.

When first read the title Norwich popped into my head straight away, it felt like a pivotal moment as the title seemed to be slipping as we were slumping to a draw only for Ulloa to work his magic from the spot. 

One that isn't on there that perhaps should be is the 3-0 victory away at Swansea. That day was the first time where we really showed just how much better we were than the rest of the league, it was 3-0 but easily could off been 7 or 8. In Kaspers interview on the Peter crouch podcast he says that after the Swansea game was when the squad started to believe they could do it. 

On 25/04/2020 at 10:44, MattP said:

Man City the game that showed we were good enough.

Watford the game where I thought we finally might do it.

I'd give it to the win over Norwich though - psychologically it was like we needed that sort of late goal to kill the pain of the late goal in the game before at Arsenal.

This....

Losing at home to Spurs in the FA Cup was a smart move, paving the way for a clear run at the PL title. Another big favour Spurs did us was failing to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Tbh, there were numerous crucial results that season, meaning that the 'big 6' all failed to put decent winning runs together, as they all went through transition periods. And CR's obsession with getting to 40pts seemed to galvanise the club into getting more than double that total.

it might sound a bit daft, but I still think the 2-1 win at home to West Ham in the "great escape" season, was the most important match in our recent history.

I realise that noone can prove what would've happened after that match if we hadn't won, but I honestly believe that without the blue touch paper being lit that day, we might not even have been in the Premier League 2015-16

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

No other club was in more of a transition than us. From spending over 5 months at the bottom of the Premier League to Champions is one hell of a transition. 

Never thought about this! Gonna start using this I think when someone pops up and tries to argue with me.

• Like 1

The 5-2 loss at home to Arsenal.

Without the large margin of defeat, and given the games that followed (Norwich, Southampton, Palace, Hull, West Brom, Watford, Newcastle) we could very well have carried on with the De Laet/Schlupp experiment. The Arsenal game killed it. Instead we went 'flat back four', adopted a generally more defensive approach and won 8/drew 2 out of the next 10 league games.

Us hitting the crossbar at 1-0 up in that game was pivotal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

The 5-2 loss at home to Arsenal.

Without the large margin of defeat, and given the games that followed (Norwich, Southampton, Palace, Hull, West Brom, Watford, Newcastle) we could very well have carried on with the De Laet/Schlupp experiment. The Arsenal game killed it. Instead we went 'flat back four', adopted a generally more defensive approach and won 8/drew 2 out of the next 10 league games.

Us hitting the crossbar at 1-0 up in that game was pivotal.

Very true this is. This was where Ranieri's biggest change came in and he completely changed the defence - which went on to be just about our most consistently good defence ever. Didn't we keep something like 11 clean sheets in 15 games? Outrageous.

• Like 2

On 25/04/2020 at 11:31, lcfc old boy said:

on the way back from spuds , somebody said we should defo get cl now ,and i think for the first time i thought and said if we can get  cl , there is no reason  we cannot win the league.

Agree..and i think it took a little bit of pressure off of the players...they knew  they would come away from the season and have something to show for it (champions league spot) ... from then on we might just as well try and win this league as well !

Also think the Norwich away game when CR dropped Mahrez to the bench for not tracking back in the previous game at home to Arsenal...changed our defence system and sent a message to everyone