Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-56420607

If/when it blows, it won't be anything like the Eyjafjallajökull (Strombolian) eruption eleven years ago which lofted a plume containing 250 million cubic meters of ash and tephra into the lower stratosphere - which is good news for the already beleaguered commercial aviation sector.

CALL IT OUT FOR WHAT IT IS FFS. 

This is pathetic. 'a really bad day for him'. What about the families of the people he murdered?! 

It's white supremacy. It's racially motivated. It's fvcking terrorism going on a murder spree like he did. 

Infuriating how they'll make excuses for white perpetrators. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

This is pathetic. 'a really bad day for him'. What about the families of the people he murdered?! 

It's white supremacy. It's racially motivated. It's fvcking terrorism going on a murder spree like he did. 

5 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Don't worry fellas, it's just those "lone wolves" out there again.

Not All Men, obvs.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Don't worry fellas, it's just those "lone wolves" out there again.

Not All Men, obvs.

Don’t be silly Mac.

“All Men” have exactly the same values, morality and thoughts as the shooter

”All Men” are as guilt as if they had pulled the trigger themselves

Obvs 

32 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Don’t be silly Mac.

“All Men” have exactly the same values, morality and thoughts as the shooter

”All Men” are as guilt as if they had pulled the trigger themselves

Obvs 

Yep, and that's the other end of the horseshoe, more's the pity.

And in between, maybe, just maybe, there might be a dialogue about how attitudes might change just a little bit so that it might be easier to identify when someone is going to go off like this incel waste of space before it happens.

23 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yep, and that's the other end of the horseshoe, more's the pity.

And in between, maybe, just maybe, there might be a dialogue about how attitudes might change just a little bit so that it might be easier to identify when someone is going to go off like this incel waste of space before it happens.

And it’s the inbetween bit that’s really important because they are the ones whose attitudes can be changed. However, by promoting the type of thinking at the more extreme other end of the “ horseshoe” you risk damaging the aim by alienating those open to considering their own behaviour and the alternative view to those that they have/do hold

In short, I believe that the type of views expressed in the post which I quoted actually harm the prospects of achieving any worthwhile change at all

Edited by Mike Oxlong

12 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

And it’s the inbetween bit that’s really important because they are the ones whose attitudes can be changed. However, by promoting the type of thinking at the more extreme end of the “ horseshoe” you risk damaging the aim by alienating those open to considering their own behaviour and the alternative view to those that they have/do hold

In short, I believe that the type of views expressed in the post which I quoted actually harm the prospects of achieving any worthwhile change at all

If that's true (and yeah, I can see the idea), then the response did similarly for the other end of the spectrum tbh.

But yes, I do see where you're coming from, and pardon the degree of frustration I feel at the apologist knuckle-draggers (some of which have rather a lot of power, which is important) getting in the way of meaningful dialogue on the matter that I felt the need to target them directly, as they seem to be the ones controlling the narrative right now.

The sooner there is more talk from level heads on the matter rather than views in extremis passing back and forth, the better.

Edited by leicsmac

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56438560

What a crap idea for those who could be attacked or those wrongly accused of sexual harassment.

Someone could be coerced into 'consenting' on the app and get sexually harassed.

Equally, what happens if someone doesnt use the app?

Not the solution for anyone let alone everyone.

Edited by Nalis

19 minutes ago, Nalis said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56438560

What a crap idea for those who could be attacked or those wrongly accused of sexual harassment.

Someone could be coerced into 'consenting' on the app and get sexually harassed.

Equally, what happens if someone doesnt use the app?

Not the solution for anyone let alone everyone.

Yeah, this app is a disaster.  Consent is an ongoing option and one may withdraw it at any point simply by saying "no".  Don't make it more complicated than that.

Proving whether consent was given or not is usually the sticking point when it comes to rape prosecutions (or the lack of), so I think the idea comes from a good place, but it's not well thought out, wouldn't work well and would likely lead to a rise in reported cases and a decline in successful prosecutions.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StanSP said:

At the risk of being unpopular... While the differing treatment of perpetrators is absolutely obvious and racism is a huge, huge issue, I worry that this approach of reporting and reacting to such events is counter productive in that it focuses too much on race and ignores (and therefore gives cover to, IMO) to another very important truth: that America is a fundamentally violent society, with a unique and very unhealthy obsession with deadly weaponry. It permeates their culture to a degree that shootings like this are absolutely normalised. Until they start to address that, they don't have a hope of stopping racially motivated tragedies like this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

At the risk of being unpopular... While the differing treatment of perpetrators is absolutely obvious and racism is a huge, huge issue, I worry that this approach of reporting and reacting to such events is counter productive in that it focuses too much on race and ignores (and therefore gives cover to, IMO) to another very important truth: that America is a fundamentally violent society, with a unique and very unhealthy obsession with deadly weaponry. It permeates their culture to a degree that shootings like this are absolutely normalised. Until they start to address that, they don't have a hope of stopping racially motivated tragedies like this.

I don't think that should be an unpopular point to make - it's a fair one.

However, I would submit that the same argument is also used inverted (that is that people say "let's focus on the violence" at the expense of the underlying racist/sexist feelings that drive it) and that the two issues (the ease logistically and mentally to engage in extreme violence over there and the feelings that might spark that violence) exist in tandem; addressing either one would help and tbh from here it looks like they're likely equally difficult to deal with.

So, all things (possibly) being equal there, I'd think focusing on the underlying issues that cause that violence is probably the way to go.

33 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I don't think that should be an unpopular point to make - it's a fair one.

However, I would submit that the same argument is also used inverted (that is that people say "let's focus on the violence" at the expense of the underlying racist/sexist feelings that drive it) and that the two issues (the ease logistically and mentally to engage in extreme violence over there and the feelings that might spark that violence) exist in tandem; addressing either one would help and tbh from here it looks like they're likely equally difficult to deal with.

So, all things (possibly) being equal there, I'd think focusing on the underlying issues that cause that violence is probably the way to go.

That's sort of my point, that the two issues go hand in hand. I just feel that the violence within the culture doesn't get anywhere near enough focus to begin to fix it. 

9 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Those who claim that is America is a fundamentally violent society should perhaps look at where it comes in the league table of violent nations.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/most-violent-countries

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

About what I expected, really.

Not the worst but not exactly in exalted company either.

The fact that they're ahead of Moazambique, which currently has an ISIS/Al Shabab insurgency taking over the north, speaks volumes... Also, compare it to Canada.

Bonus comment - when I went to Maputo in Mozambique, I stayed at Fatima backpackers on 'Avenida Mao Tse Tung' (in a gorgeous Art Deco building I might add). The lady behind the bar gave me a map of Maputo and crossed out several side streets in the downtown area, saying "it's pretty safe to walk around the city although definitely avoid these streets at night as you're white and you will probably be murdered".

Other than that it was a lovely place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1