Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

29 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

:dunno: Too much empathy is less harmful than too little. Better to show some and risk being taken advantage of than show too little and allow people to suffer through inaction IMO.

NB. The idea that there are and have to be adversarial "opponents" when it comes to humans is exactly the kind of thinking that will leave humanity found horribly wanting when the time comes.

I used that word merely to indicate an alternative way of thinking about any given situation. If you believe that humanity will ever all sing from the hymn sheet on every issue, then that seems wholly unrealistic. Life is about competition for limited resources, not just in humans, but in nature as well, and that will always involve conflict of some sort.

6 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Have you seen the footage from last night? I ask because I’m wondering how you can watch it and not say it’s heavy handed

*just a random tweet. I’ve posted purely for the video rather than the actual content of the tweet! 

Is this supposed to be harrowing because there are some women screaming? I don’t see any truncheons drawn or boots flying in. Very measured response from that video at least.

6 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Is this supposed to be harrowing because there are some women screaming? I don’t see any truncheons drawn or boots flying in. Very measured response from that video at least.

It's the fact that the police are dragging off people kneeling peacefully at a vigil for a woman allegedly murdered by a serving police officer. It's pretty sinister to watch I thought. 

Edit- Maybe your use of the word harrowing was because of the use of the word in the tweet. I do say in the original post that it was just a random tweet with the video I wanted attached. I hadn't even read what the tweet said myself. 

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I used that word merely to indicate an alternative way of thinking about any given situation. If you believe that humanity will ever all sing from the hymn sheet on every issue, then that seems wholly unrealistic. Life is about competition for limited resources, not just in humans, but in nature as well, and that will always involve conflict of some sort.

Of course there will always be disagreement, and on some issues that's fine. On others...maybe not so much. And I don't say that out of any particular moral reasoning, but out of simple pragmatism in that there can and will be problems that it will require all of humanity pulling the same way to survive.

I don't tend to like appeals to nature as in the second sentence here because as true as the rules of evolution are in that particular way, lifetimes for species as dictated by nature tend to be nasty, brutish and, invariably, short. Not, perhaps, a model we should seek to follow seeing as we're aware of the fact.

19 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

It's the fact that the police are dragging off people kneeling peacefully at a vigil for a woman allegedly murdered by a serving police officer. It's pretty sinister to watch I thought. 

Edit- Maybe your use of the word harrowing was because of the use of the word in the tweet. I do say in the original post that it was just a random tweet with the video I wanted attached. I hadn't even read what the tweet said myself. 

Fair enough. Yes my use of the word harrowing was from the tweet, which seemed rather over the top.

• Like 1

Ok while on reflection the met didn't do the right thing saturday and the optics were terrible

I have done some digging and the one arrested is a actress , while she may be genuine, the video of her laugthing her head off minutes after being taken away and apparently released with a fine seems odd.

All I can say is this I have worked for promo companies for hired stunts such as pretending to be office workers etc. I am sure she is genuine but it happens trust me.

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-arkansas-bills-legislation-389aca43e65033959d30eb8082d281d1

Just in case there's a little doubt about how some places treat women and women's rights - even those that profess to be a bastion of integrity and freedom.

Edit: Would normally post this in the dedicated US pol thread, but seeing as there was something of a debate regarding whether or not women really have won equal rights without challenge in many places on the planet, thought it might do better as an indicator here.

Edited by leicsmac

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

From ISIS to ASOS...

I do feel a bit sorry for her in that I think she's thick as shit and very easily manipulated. 

When I occasionally dip my toe into twitter I reckon half the people on there would join an extremist group pretty easily. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/03/2021 at 10:20, Big Dave said:

I think one of the issues here is that (I am guessing) the vast majority of this forum are white males (as am I), and we dont really understand the issues that  women, BAME, LGBTQ, as we are not affected by them on a day to day basis, and we seem to be very slow at times in improving the world around us, and in many cases seem to be going backwards.  For example, I thought that the racism issue in this country was improving, but now sadly seems to be as big an issue as ever (I appreciate this is debatable, and not intended to open up another debate here).

People should be able to live their lives without fear of prejudice, fear of attack, etc - it is a basic human right, but we are still not there - in fact a long way from it.

Anyway, back to my original point. As white males, I don’t think we always ‘get it’ when it comes to these issues.  I think we think we do, but we don’t, not if you really talk in depth to people affected by the issues. People need a platform to be able to demonstrate the issue caused, call it a vigil, protest, demonstration etc.  
Yea, we are in a Pandemic, but as other posters have demonstrated with links to articles, these outdoor gatherings have no impact on increasing the issues of the Pandemic.

How has this post only got 7 likes? FCUKIN NAILED IT DAVE

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How has this post only got 7 likes? FCUKIN NAILED IT DAVE

It was a classic case for me of wanting to say something but whilst I dithered someone said it for me, and without getting annoyed and swearing at everyone, which I could easily have done

• Like 2

On 14/03/2021 at 10:20, Big Dave said:

I think one of the issues here is that (I am guessing) the vast majority of this forum are white males (as am I), and we dont really understand the issues that  women, BAME, LGBTQ, as we are not affected by them on a day to day basis, and we seem to be very slow at times in improving the world around us, and in many cases seem to be going backwards.

I understand the point you're making, but I'm not too sure I totally agree with it.

A good test is to turn the statement on it's head and see if the converse makes sense or not.

Would you say a black female can't understand male sexual/fertility problems?  or to be beaten up in a pub for supporting the wrong team?  or what it's like to play Premier League football?  Or the appeal of fishing?

Of course, not.    I think it would be inaccurate to make any such sweeping statements

Obviously to fully, absolutely, totally understand something 100% you have to be there.   I've read lots of books about the war, and I think I have a pretty good understanding of WW2.   But I wasn't there, so I can't "know" what it's like.

If you are an empathetic, caring person you should be able to understand most things.   I think it's a bit lazy when people throw around the "you don't understand" accusation..

Edited by worth_the_wait
  • Like 1

Sarah Everard vigil: Woman 'was ignored by police' over exposure report

A woman who attended a vigil for Sarah Everard in south London says she was ignored when she tried to report a case of indecent exposure to police.

Georgina Ashby was on her way home from Clapham Common on Saturday when she was confronted by a man exposing himself.

Ms Ashby told the BBC she tried to speak to a group of police but a male officer told her they had "had enough with the rioters tonight".

The Met Police said it was looking into the report.

The force has faced criticism for the way it handled the vigil after officers handcuffed and forcibly removed a number of women from the event.

Ms Ashby was among hundreds of people who had gathered to pay their respects to 33-year-old Ms Everard, who went missing while walking home from a friend's house on 3 March.

On her way, Ms Ashby said she walked past a man who was standing on a pavement with "his genitals out of his fly".

She told the BBC she went up to a group of "about five or six police officers" to ask them if they could address the situation as she was feeling "very uncomfortable".

"The female officer said 'ok, fine, we'll go' and she was about to go when a male colleague said 'we're not dealing with this anymore, no, we've had enough with the rioters tonight, we're not dealing with it'," she said.

Ms Ashby added that she had been left "shocked" by the police's reaction.

"It's such a huge challenge that women don't feel they have a safe space to even speak on these things let alone that these things even happen and continue to happen," she said.

Two female officers from the Met have since visited Ms Ashby and the force has said it was looking into her report.

"We are aware of a report that she tried to report this incident at the time to officers in the area - this will be looked at," the Met said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56409023

Speaking to Lambeth Life after Saturday’s incident, Georgina said a female police officer had indicated it would be investigated but was overruled by a male officer who told her: “No, we’ve had enough tonight with the rioters.”

In reality, the mourners – who had gathered for a peaceful vigil – have not been accused of rioting and Scotland Yard is facing calls to explain why it policed the event so heavy-handedly.

Georgina said: “I was just shocked to be told essentially to go away. Even if they said: ‘We’re not going to go into it but we’ll walk you,’ that would have been something … You shouldn’t be scared around the police – you should feel protected. That’s not what happened. That’s a shame.”

Referring to the police officer response, she told Lambeth Life: “What are they trained to do? What happened makes me feel really unsafe. I lived five minutes away – if they’d just said they’d walk me to a better-lit area that would have been fine. It would be nice for the police to help.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/15/officers-allegedly-failed-to-help-woman-flashed-at-way-home-sarah-everard-vigil

Edited by Buce

39 minutes ago, Buce said:

A woman who attended a vigil for Sarah Everard in south London says she was ignored when she tried to report a case of indecent exposure to police.

Georgina Ashby was on her way home from Clapham Common on Saturday when she was confronted by a man exposing himself.

Ms Ashby told the BBC she tried to speak to a group of police but a male officer told her they had "had enough with the rioters tonight".

The force has faced criticism for the way it handled the vigil after officers handcuffed and forcibly removed a number of women from the event.

Ms Ashby was among hundreds of people who had gathered to pay their respects to 33-year-old Ms Everard, who went missing while walking home from a friend's house on 3 March.

On her way, Ms Ashby said she walked past a man who was standing on a pavement with "his genitals out of his fly".

She told the BBC she went up to a group of "about five or six police officers" to ask them if they could address the situation as she was feeling "very uncomfortable".

"The female officer said 'ok, fine, we'll go' and she was about to go when a male colleague said 'we're not dealing with this anymore, no, we've had enough with the rioters tonight, we're not dealing with it'," she said.

"It's such a huge challenge that women don't feel they have a safe space to even speak on these things let alone that these things even happen and continue to happen," she said.

Two female officers from the Met have since visited Ms Ashby and the force has said it was looking into her report.

"We are aware of a report that she tried to report this incident at the time to officers in the area - this will be looked at," the Met said.

Speaking to Lambeth Life after Saturday’s incident, Georgina said a female police officer had indicated it would be investigated but was overruled by a male officer who told her: “No, we’ve had enough tonight with the rioters.”

In reality, the mourners – who had gathered for a peaceful vigil – have not been accused of rioting and Scotland Yard is facing calls to explain why it policed the event so heavy-handedly.

Georgina said: “I was just shocked to be told essentially to go away. Even if they said: ‘We’re not going to go into it but we’ll walk you,’ that would have been something … You shouldn’t be scared around the police – you should feel protected. That’s not what happened. That’s a shame.”

Referring to the police officer response, she told Lambeth Life: “What are they trained to do? What happened makes me feel really unsafe. I lived five minutes away – if they’d just said they’d walk me to a better-lit area that would have been fine. It would be nice for the police to help.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/15/officers-allegedly-failed-to-help-woman-flashed-at-way-home-sarah-everard-vigil

Shocking behaviour. Absolutely no excuse for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

The met have had a really bad week and that's an under statement.

Apparently, there were 'ACAB' placards on display during the events of Saturday night. Not nice, when you think of the Met officers who've lost their lives during the last 12 months on the front line, protecting the public as best they can against Covid-19.

26 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Proper victim of Police brutality!

Sure I saw her on TV this morning describing her harrowing ordeal at the hands of the Police. Which out of interest lasted a full harrowing 20 minutes before they realised her with a small fine!! 😂

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/15/cap-on-trident-nuclear-warhead-stockpile-to-rise-by-more-than-40

....why? If, goodness forbid, they were ever to be used it would be either the first or last move in a game which everyone loses, so the number doesn't make much difference so long as it is sufficiently devastating. The number the UK has right now would be.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/15/cap-on-trident-nuclear-warhead-stockpile-to-rise-by-more-than-40

....why? If, goodness forbid, they were ever to be used it would be either the first or last move in a game which everyone loses, so the number doesn't make much difference so long as it is sufficiently devastating. The number the UK has right now would be.

Isn't exactly great news when your hometown is 8 miles from it and you live 19 miles away..... 

40 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Isn't exactly great news when your hometown is 8 miles from it and you live 19 miles away..... 

To be honest mate, if that shit ever hits the fan the ones who died quickly would be the lucky ones, I think.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

You're presumably convinced that this is the same woman, so I'm curious to know why?

Do other photos/sources confirm this or is Papa Luv off Twitter known to be an exceptionally credible journalistic source?

I've no idea whether "this is the terrified Patsy", though I'm not naive and know that protests attract all sorts of professional agitators and unhinged ranters and trouble-seekers, as well as the majority who are there in good faith. Though, we also only see a clip here, not whatever, if anything, provoked the rant in the clip.

The woman in your clip doesn't even turn to face the camera and is wearing a mask, so it's hard to tell. She has reddish hair but the Patsy in the viral photo and subsequent media interviews seemed to have darker, longer, more crimped hair.

This woman seems to have straighter, thinner hair, possibly in a ponytail - though that might have come loose in the struggle. Both women have black coats and black masks, though that's hardly uncommon.

Just seeking to ensure we uphold professional journalistic standards on this forum.... ;)

This is the biggest problem with the internet and social media for me.

Throw up a short clip, zero context and your own narrative and everyone goes nuts about it!

It happens both on the left, right and basically anyone who has a point to prove and it’s ridiculous.

Provoke a reaction, film the reaction, use it as evidence to support your own cause, because people are naive and will believe any story that supports their own bias.

• Like 3