Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

2 hours ago, los dedos said:

Its more like most people are more bothered about whose doing the killing/mistreatment  . The west, Israel, Saudi equals bad, anyone else Meh 

If that is true (and it might be), then it works in reverse too - as can be seen by the current swath of secret police action in the US being completely ignored by those who would normally decry government overreach.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Jess Phillips, Shadow Minister for Domestic Violence and Safeguarding, writing an article concerned about the Johnny Depp trial coverage focusing on Amber Heard’s behaviour.

She doesn’t seem to think Depp has the right to defend himself and clear his name, nor does she seem to care that they’re clear evidence that Heard was the actual abuser, has been caught faking bruises and falsifying evidence, confessed on tape to abusing him, already has a previous domestic violence arrest, and even stole an ex-PA’s rape victim story to use against Depp in the trial. 

When you’re so obsessively pro-women and anti-male that you still side with a domestic abuser despite your professional speciality.

The world is no longer one of facts and evidence. 

We live in the age of opinion and offence. Battles are won and lost in the court of public opinion regardless of the facts. That's Philips' M.O - the fearless defender of women's rights and she'll seek to defend them on any given battlefield. For her to be objective would represent a defeat of her particular opinion and thus she'll spin it. 

Sadly that's how the world is now.

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Jess Phillips, Shadow Minister for Domestic Violence and Safeguarding, writing an article concerned about the Johnny Depp trial coverage focusing on Amber Heard’s behaviour.

She doesn’t seem to think Depp has the right to defend himself and clear his name, nor does she seem to care that they’re clear evidence that Heard was the actual abuser, has been caught faking bruises and falsifying evidence, confessed on tape to abusing him, already has a previous domestic violence arrest, and even stole an ex-PA’s rape victim story to use against Depp in the trial. 

When you’re so obsessively pro-women and anti-male that you still side with a domestic abuser despite your professional speciality.

That's disappointing to read (from her, not you). Usually agree with things she says but this has disappointed me. DA/DV can happen both ways and some people in a relationship can be ridiculously manipulative without even realising it.

I've no doubt there could/will be more to this than we, the public, are being allowed to see or what's being fed to us. It's quite concerning the takes that are coming from this; especially given the things you mention. Too many times it's too often assumed that it's just the male beating the woman up and that's that.

On 18/07/2020 at 17:05, urban.spaceman said:

I seem to have read that very differently to everyone else. 

The issue she has is that this has turned into a very public character assassination of Amber Heard and the message that sends to victims. She is not saying she is a victim and Depp is guilty she is saying someone who is possibly a victim is having her character ripped to pieces in the press in the process of trying to find the truth. Ignoring the fact that whatever Heard has done in the past is never justification for domestic violence this just sends an appalling message to any victims of domestic abuse worried about going to the police. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I seem to have read that very differently to everyone else. 

The issue she has is that this has turned into a very public character assassination of Amber Heard and the message that sends to victims. She is not saying she is a victim and Depp is guilty she is saying someone who is possibly a victim is having her character ripped to pieces in the press in the process of trying to find the truth. Ignoring the fact that whatever Heard has done in the past is never justification for domestic violence this just sends an appalling message to any victims of domestic abuse worried about going to the police. 

That's a very fair assessment and reading of her article and I understand your points and agree with you and her on most of it. What I'd counter with though, what is her own message now sending to victims? Don't try and clear your name when you've been accused of being the abuser... by your abuser?

Depp has a right to prove his innocence, especially if he's the real victim himself.

This is the due process that #metoo tried to erase and it's extremely important it's happening IMO. It's a shame the tabloids are all over it but that's basically what they do - they're in the dock because they shortcut the due process and went straight to a verdict by calling Depp a wife beater. They need to be held publicly accountable for it, and that involves exposing false accusers and abusers. Personally I hope he wins as it would bring some balance to the debate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53481383

Either he's pretty sure he's screwed in November and he's going for personal indulgence by getting as close to neo-fascism as he can while he has the time, or he's so sure he'll still be on top in November no matter what (given his remarks about possibly not respecting the results) that he thinks he can do this in more places and it won't matter anyway.

I'm not sure which is worse - either way it's disgusting.

19 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

That's a very fair assessment and reading of her article and I understand your points and agree with you and her on most of it. What I'd counter with though, what is her own message now sending to victims? Don't try and clear your name when you've been accused of being the abuser... by your abuser?

Depp has a right to prove his innocence, especially if he's the real victim himself.

This is the due process that #metoo tried to erase and it's extremely important it's happening IMO. It's a shame the tabloids are all over it but that's basically what they do - they're in the dock because they shortcut the due process and went straight to a verdict by calling Depp a wife beater. They need to be held publicly accountable for it, and that involves exposing false accusers and abusers. Personally I hope he wins as it would bring some balance to the debate.

Completely agree Depp should take the Sun to court if it's defamation. I think her point is, although it's not clear, this should not be reported in the press the way it is.

I guess because it is a civil case and not a criminal case reporting restrictions are not the same. I'm not sure but I would have thought a domestic abuse case would have certain reporting restrictions to protect victims, at least until the case is concluded.

4 hours ago, Captain... said:

Completely agree Depp should take the Sun to court if it's defamation. I think her point is, although it's not clear, this should not be reported in the press the way it is.

I guess because it is a civil case and not a criminal case reporting restrictions are not the same. I'm not sure but I would have thought a domestic abuse case would have certain reporting restrictions to protect victims, at least until the case is concluded.

I'm mostly in favour of abuse cases being held in private with total anonymity for the victim and the accused, with details only being revealed on a guilty verdict. But then there's a credible argument that more victims could feel encouraged to come forward about their cases, like in the case of Weinstein or Saville. A mate of mine did jury service about 10 years ago on a rape case. They unanimously found him not guilty and found that the claim was malicious but this guy's entire life was ruined by it being public. Then there's the swathes of young men who have been convicted but had it overturned when text messages were actually provided by the police.

It's extremely complex and can be very difficult to get right. Victims deserve justice and abusers should be jailed IMO. But nobody should have their lives ruined by false accusations.

I’m glad Captain brought that up because I thought I was going mad lol seems like an abuse case with little to do with the former AH - JD abuse trial (where it seems fairly obvious Amber was definitely an abuser). I thought it was fairly reasonable. 

Never been in to celeb gossip and news but that whole Depp-Heard relationship seems toxic. Depp especially looks a shell of the man he was, and whilst he’s always had his quirks and demons these days he looks like you’ll see his obituary in the paper any day, 

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

It's extremely complex and can be very difficult to get right. Victims deserve justice and abusers should be jailed IMO. But nobody should have their lives ruined by false accusations.

Completely agree, but also nobody should have their lives ruined by making an accurate accusation. I agree that the most important thing is the truth but the way accusers/victims are treated will certainly put some people off going to court.

The Heard Depp relationship seems completely toxic and they are probably both guilty on some level, but it shouldn't be down to the Sun printing unfounded accusations that brings the truth to light.

• Like 3

https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/education/508820-sen-tom-cotton-introduces-bill-withholding-federal

I would say that historical facts don't change whether one believes in them or not, but sadly history proves that it is very easy for history to be forgotten and whitewashed (pun intended) by those who wish it. Which is, of course, exactly what Senator Cotton and those who think as he does want.