Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

The Guardian have taken a brief break from telling us everything is racist to remind us that everything is also sexist:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jul/06/upward-thrusting-buildings-ejaculating-cities-sexist-leslie-kern-phallic-feminist-city-toxic-masculinity

Wait till they find out their founder’s views on the abolition of slavery....

She's always way ahead of them isn't she?

8 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

The headlines are of course bait and I loathe that as much as the next person, but the overriding idea that cities are overwhelmingly designed and built, by and for, men is a valid one. You can further extend that point, in the UK at least (I imagine most western countries too but couldn't say authoritatively), to it being white men. Part of me thinks this dilutes the point somewhat, but it is worth pointing out different cultures within the UK society do live differently and further to that, most professions within the built environment have issues with diversity.

As an architect myself I try to account for the needs of many different kinds of users as necessary to any given building (it is after all part of the job to do so), but you cannot argue that everyone's perspective is different and that a world that was designed and built by a demographic that accurately reflected the wider population would look different.

And for what it's worth, I don't think the focus on phallic symbolism is going to win many over, but let's face it men always want to be "bigger and better" in any number of ways and our continued pursuit of reaching the sky in built form is symptomatic of that. This is pure speculation on my part but I highly doubt that a world that had been ruled by women would ever have created so many needlessly tall buildings for no reason. You can be pretty sure all the buildings that have ever been designed purely to be the tallest were because a few blokes wanted "the biggest building."

Yes but you're forgetting it's much easier to screenshot the headline and sneer at it for cheap laughs than to actually try and engage with the content.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Yes but you're forgetting it's much easier to screenshot the headline and sneer at it for cheap laughs than to actually try and engage with the content.

The headlines are supposed to draw you in aren't they, there's no way a headline like that would do that for me.

PS I don't actually like overly tall buildings  they seem on the whole entirely impractical for a working or living environment.

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

The headlines are of course bait and I loathe that as much as the next person, but the overriding idea that cities are overwhelmingly designed and built, by and for, men is a valid one. You can further extend that point, in the UK at least (I imagine most western countries too but couldn't say authoritatively), to it being white men. Part of me thinks this dilutes the point somewhat, but it is worth pointing out different cultures within the UK society do live differently and further to that, most professions within the built environment have issues with diversity.

As an architect myself I try to account for the needs of many different kinds of users as necessary to any given building (it is after all part of the job to do so), but you cannot argue that everyone's perspective is different and that a world that was designed and built by a demographic that accurately reflected the wider population would look different.

And for what it's worth, I don't think the focus on phallic symbolism is going to win many over, but let's face it men always want to be "bigger and better" in any number of ways and our continued pursuit of reaching the sky in built form is symptomatic of that. This is pure speculation on my part but I highly doubt that a world that had been ruled by women would ever have created so many needlessly tall buildings for no reason. You can be pretty sure all the buildings that have ever been designed purely to be the tallest were because a few blokes wanted "the biggest building."

Agree with most of it but surely building up is largely a practical consequence of trying to fit as much as you can on as smaller foot print as possible, for space saving reasons.

The alternative is building wider or underground.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Agree with most of it but surely building up is largely a practical consequence of trying to fit as much as you can on as smaller foot print as possible, for space saving reasons.

Or suppressing population.

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

And for what it's worth, I don't think the focus on phallic symbolism is going to win many over, but let's face it men always want to be "bigger and better" in any number of ways and our continued pursuit of reaching the sky in built form is symptomatic of that. This is pure speculation on my part but I highly doubt that a world that had been ruled by women would ever have created so many needlessly tall buildings for no reason. You can be pretty sure all the buildings that have ever been designed purely to be the tallest were because a few blokes wanted "the biggest building.

Was critical theory and intersectionality part of your architectural studies?

Edited by iniesta
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Obviously density is important and we build at height because it does save space, but there's a big difference between the kind of density we need to sustain our population/resources and building 100+ stories, which we have been doing at increasing heights for 100 or so years. 

The reason for building taller and taller has always been driven by the male ego.

28 minutes ago, iniesta said:

Was critical theory and intersectionality part of your architectural studies?

No. I was taught by almost exclusively white men, about almost exclusively white men, in a room with a high majority of white men. 

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Obviously density is important and we build at height because it does save space, but there's a big difference between the kind of density we need to sustain our population/resources and building 100+ stories, which we have been doing at increasing heights for 100 or so years. 

The reason for building taller and taller has always been driven by the male ego.

No. I was taught by almost exclusively white men, about almost exclusively white men, in a room with a high majority of white men. 

How awful, condolences. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

The Guardian have taken a brief break from telling us everything is racist to remind us that everything is also sexist:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jul/06/upward-thrusting-buildings-ejaculating-cities-sexist-leslie-kern-phallic-feminist-city-toxic-masculinity

Wait till they find out their founder’s views on the abolition of slavery....

Love the Guardian, but this has to be a joke surely.

1 hour ago, iniesta said:

How awful, condolences. 

Eh?

All I was doing was pointing out how architecture as an industry and a subject taught at universities across the country doesn't reflect our societal make-up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Eh?

All I was doing was pointing out how architecture as an industry and a subject taught at universities across the country doesn't reflect our societal make-up. 

Now I wonder what a black female lecturer would've taught you ? 

6 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Eh?

Nah man, evidently you didn't get the memo. Hundreds of years of societal oppression have been turned on their head and it's white straight guys who are the oppressed ones now in practically every area of society.

.....right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53327906

Sigh.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53328654

I don't think much of that is shocking, to be honest.

It really is curious to know what future generations will make of Donald Trumps tenure as president, we assume it will be held up as some form of political horror story, and rightly so, but who knows  :dunno:

16 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It really is curious to know what future generations will make of Donald Trumps tenure as president, we assume it will be held up as some form of political horror story, and rightly so, but who knows  :dunno:

Similar to how cycling fans view the Lance Armstrong years I’d imagine.

9 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

......Which would you rather fight? One human-sized bat or 100 bat-sized humans? :whistle:

501426._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.thumb.jpg.bbe63f233541a03a022c73b6a171be39.jpg

Man-bat possibly my favourite Batman enemy concept.

Or

100 bumble bee bat sized humans?

bumblebee-bat-1.jpg.d182697e7c7d2d938545595a943a780e.jpg

That's easy.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Seeing as history tends to be written by the winners, you'd hope it was viewed as exactly that.

To say nothing of a moral stance, from a purely utilitarian viewpoint I dread to think of a future where viewpoints like those of Trump are the prevailing ones in power all around the world rather than just some of it. Mainly because that future would most likely be very short.

32 minutes ago, Captain... said:

501426._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.thumb.jpg.bbe63f233541a03a022c73b6a171be39.jpg

Man-bat possibly my favourite Batman enemy concept.

Or

100 bumble bee bat sized humans?

bumblebee-bat-1.jpg.d182697e7c7d2d938545595a943a780e.jpg

That's easy.

26 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

We saw one of these, and they are surprisingly large

They do look massive tbh ...  was he having a scrap with Batman when you saw him ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53339296

One person has died and four people are injured after a crane collapsed on to houses and a block of flats which were being built in London.

The 20m (65ft) crane crashed on to the development and two terrace houses in Compton Close, Bow, just before 14:40 BST.

Despite treatment one person died at the scene. Four others were injured, including two people taken to hospital for head injurie