Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

On another forum I am on, there is some people who think kids should be going back to school regardless of the consequence, I stated I disagreed, I was outvoted, but I think its a serious concern.

I sent my kids back in may/June I think it was. And my other daughter went to nursery. I see minimal risks for kids.

I did pull them out a week before lockdown started, so its not like I wasn't worried. But as things progressed the data has been pretty consistent that kids are low risk (in my own interpretation)

My biggest problem is that the oldest consistently scores below average in pretty much everything, but then I haven't been home to help with her homework and her mother is struggling to look after them all, not being from the UK. But then what do I do, I'm the only breadwinner so I need to work. It's not a sob story, my point is that we all have problems surrounding school issues and they are different for all of us, for us, on evaluation, her schooling needs outweighed the risk of the virus and going by her health, we have been correct. Though her last report was still below average!

My children are 1, 2 and 5.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, simFox said:

I sent my kids back in may/June I think it was. And my other daughter went to nursery. I see minimal risks for kids.

I did pull them out a week before lockdown started, so its not like I wasn't worried. But as things progressed the data has been pretty consistent that kids are low risk (in my own interpretation)

My biggest problem is that the oldest consistently scores below average in pretty much everything, but then I haven't been home to help with her homework and her mother is struggling to look after them all, not being from the UK. But then what do I do, I'm the only breadwinner so I need to work. It's not a sob story, my point is that we all have problems surrounding school issues and they are different for all of us, for us, on evaluation, her schooling needs outweighed the risk of the virus and going by her health, we have been correct. Though her last report was still below average!

My children are 1, 2 and 5.

Can see the urgency for the kids to go back.Anymore time at home and we will see the negative affects last for up to a decade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Can see the urgency for the kids to go back.Anymore time at home and we will see the negative affects last for up to a decade.

Fully agree, look at the cluster that happened with predicted grades and for next year they are saying exams will be taken.

Year 10 students now have already lost virtually a school year and then not to send them back in Sep for what’s basically going to be finishing off the syllabuses they should have already completed instead of recapping everything they have learnt since 7th grade which is what the 1st 2 terms of the final year would be used for in preparation for exam will put these kids in a worse situation than those that have just had their results.

We have all heard about the kids predicted A*s getting Bs but how many actually got the important Cs (4/5/6) needed for English/Maths that probably wouldn’t have got if taken.

Exam sitting is hard enough with just the experience let alone without having 121 / teacher learning and having that important preparation time to go back over 4/5yrs of learning which will be presented in an end of school exam...really feel for them.

6 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Fully agree, look at the cluster that happened with predicted grades and for next year they are saying exams will be taken.

Year 10 students now have already lost virtually a school year and then not to send them back in Sep for what’s basically going to be finishing off the syllabuses they should have already completed instead of recapping everything they have learnt since 7th grade which is what the 1st 2 terms of the final year would be used for in preparation for exam will put these kids in a worse situation than those that have just had their results.

We have all heard about the kids predicted A*s getting Bs but how many actually got the important Cs (4/5/6) needed for English/Maths that probably wouldn’t have got if taken.

Exam sitting is hard enough with just the experience let alone without having 121 / teacher learning and having that important preparation time to go back over 4/5yrs of learning which will be presented in an end of school exam...really feel for them.

My view is we should do either of the following.

Either a gradual reopening of schools, start of part time, 1 day a week for each child, class sizes 1/5th and more of the work is homework than classwork.

Or reopen schools, but if an area is "area of concern", "enhanced support", "national intervention" (local lockdown), then close them, I think its wrong to have schools open, whilst the population in the area has extra restrictions vs the national guidelines.

The risk of health problems to children is low, which is true, but they are effectively super spreaders when schools are opened.

In terms of the lost time, there is many things that can be done to reclaim it.

Delay end of schooling by a year so e.g. 17 instead of 16,

Reduce school holidays for a few years, as we know holidays are much higher than employment holidays, so the lost time can easily be recovered this way.

Its about been flexible and adapting, if you rigid, then of course the problems can get out of control, I agree the grade prediction thing was a mess, that happened because as always governments always look for a "quick fix" short term solution, without thinking about the long term.

My prediction, is if we mass reopen schools, and just not worry about the consequences, many will end up closing again because of either (a) teachers refusing to go in, or (b) spikes in cases.  That will be worse then a planned long term mitigation.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

More nutters here, this time apparently left wing ones, in Bolivia.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/bolivian-lower-house-approves-toxic-bleach-as-covid-19-treatment-2020-8

Astonishing the degree to which science Is on the back foot in the modern world.

Maybe trump was right, my squatting on a lamp as we speak.

23 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

On another forum I am on, there is some people who think kids should be going back to school regardless of the consequence, I stated I disagreed, I was outvoted, but I think its a serious concern.

Well the governement has put itself on the line with this. They failed in July to get schools back in the way they claimed they would so can't risk not doing this in September whatever the consequences. As Boris said schools will be the last things to close in an area from now on and stuff the economy as long as schools stay open.

16 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

100% agree with this. And the real problem here is....if this continues past the scheduled term start date, I think my girls will turn into actual vegetables!!!

• Like 2

On 14/08/2020 at 21:23, reynard said:

I'm interested to know what you and your colleagues have learnt about how to treat people with covid. With so few treatments available have you changed the way you treat people in say relation to how and when oxygen is given or are things still very much the same as they were in April?

I'm not sure how you want me to put this in a short post on a forum. 

12 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

What a lot of detractors seem to miss is that deaths, whilst obviously being the most tragic and thus having the most of the spotlight, isn’t the main issue with Coronavirus. Hospitalisation is. If enough end up in hospital due to Covid, even if they do recover, then it endangers the vulnerable already in hospital (potentially leading to more deaths) and it can mean other treatments end up delayed or cancelled, on a much larger scale than we saw on lockdown. You’re then having to choose who has a ventilator and who is left to fend for themselves.

It’s very easy to forget what happened in Lombardy but ask them what happens when your healthcare system collapses. 

Anecdotally, mum started her chemo in March, she’s getting close to finishing her course now. The way hospitals were filling up, especially in Leicester, before lockdown flattened the trend I honestly think they would have had to cancel her course if it continued and her early stage cancer which has effectively been beat back now may have been left untreated to potentially get worse.

Its a bit disheartening to see people who want to shop without a mask or not miss their holiday say thats ‘a sacrifice we have to live with’, but hopefully before too long we’ve got an effective vaccine that alongside the new treatments we’ve found means we can happily go about our lives with some normality restored. 

We should have this on automatic repeat whenever someone uses death rate to argue anything about whether restrictions are necessary. 

Sorry to hear about your mum, but it is good she's responding well to treatment. 

4 hours ago, Fktf said:

We should have this on automatic repeat whenever someone uses death rate to argue anything about whether restrictions are necessary. 

Sorry to hear about your mum, but it is good she's responding well to treatment. 

Thank you, but she’s responded really well to the point where if you saw her you honestly wouldn’t know she’s been under chemo, pretty early stage as well and she’s all but done now hopefully!

I don’t mean it to come across as woe is me, but it’s the most accessible anecdotal story I have to hand. To expand, she was actually shown a diagram by her consultant which shown who was being treated and who wasn’t. She was right on the edge, so anyone in a further stage would not start their treatment and had it delayed. That’s people still with a good chance of survival having their chemo held off for months. I shudder to think what would have happened to my mum and many people in her position had lockdown not happened.

21 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

What a lot of detractors seem to miss is that deaths, whilst obviously being the most tragic and thus having the most of the spotlight, isn’t the main issue with Coronavirus. Hospitalisation is. If enough end up in hospital due to Covid, even if they do recover, then it endangers the vulnerable already in hospital (potentially leading to more deaths) and it can mean other treatments end up delayed or cancelled, on a much larger scale than we saw on lockdown. You’re then having to choose who has a ventilator and who is left to fend for themselves.

It’s very easy to forget what happened in Lombardy but ask them what happens when your healthcare system collapses. 

Anecdotally, mum started her chemo in March, she’s getting close to finishing her course now. The way hospitals were filling up, especially in Leicester, before lockdown flattened the trend I honestly think they would have had to cancel her course if it continued and her early stage cancer which has effectively been beat back now may have been left untreated to potentially get worse.

Its a bit disheartening to see people who want to shop without a mask or not miss their holiday say thats ‘a sacrifice we have to live with’, but hopefully before too long we’ve got an effective vaccine that alongside the new treatments we’ve found means we can happily go about our lives with some normality restored. 

I hope your mum gets better.

Question for anyone who can answer - In terms of hospitalisations, is there anywhere online that has day by day new admissions figures on this (or current total hospitalisations)?

• Thanks 1

Guest Markyblue
1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Thanks, a downward trend which is good to see despite the upward trend in cases.

Difficult one here but dependent on what you want to believe, is there an upward trend in cases or is more testing finding whos actually got it, its generally been said that the figures for transmission are flatlinning around 2000 a day with about 1000 a day being detected. 

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

is there an upward trend in cases or is more testing finding whos actually got it,

It’s tricky.  If you have an area where the cases double, then presumably twice as many people will feel ill and twice as many people will get tested who have covid19.  So in that scenario more tests and more positives does mean more cases.

On the other hand if you make it much easier to get tested or go round door to door offering tests then  more tests and more positives might not mean more cases, as you suggest in that scenario you are just finding more of them.

23 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

More nutters here, this time apparently left wing ones, in Bolivia.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/bolivian-lower-house-approves-toxic-bleach-as-covid-19-treatment-2020-8

Astonishing the degree to which science Is on the back foot in the modern world.

Apart from the potential side effects, does it actually kill the virus?