Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

21 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can you provide some context?  when was that??

August last year, 770 people in hospital for COVID. We had less than 1100 people in hospital due to COVID from 7th August to 16th September. I know it spreads fast and is deadly etc. It just boggles my mind that we had a lot of the country shut down for what was a tiny tiny percentage of the population.

15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

August last year, 770 people in hospital for COVID. We had less than 1100 people in hospital due to COVID from 7th August to 16th September. I know it spreads fast and is deadly etc. It just boggles my mind that we had a lot of the country shut down for what was a tiny tiny percentage of the population.

Only need to look at Brazil to see what could've happened without the restrictions. 

5 hours ago, boots60 said:

Had my first jab yesterday.

The nurse said ''Don't worry, its only a little ****"

I said "I know, but its the only one I've got"

its edited the word p r i c k !!!!

I didn't realise they were vaccinating primary school kids just yet. :P

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/11/covid-test-kit-supplier-joked-matt-hancock-whatsapp-never-heard-of-him-alex-bourne

Such an article would traditionally get a cabinet minister the sack - be surprised if they do. Absolutely detestable - then to top it off with Hancock’s mate to be failing the deal with the NHS

A he said,  she said article getting officials the sack? Sensationalist too, wow. Just ditch the elections, let’s appoint officials by hyperbole. lol

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

What was shut down in August ? 

4 minutes ago, BecGriff9 said:

Had my first jab yesterday due to my asthma and feel horrific today, aching like I’ve never ached before. 

Was it the Astra Zeneca one? Has Pfizer a couple of weeks ago and felt nothing but soreness in the arm, but I also know a few who had AZ and felt like **** for a day or so.

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

What was shut down in August ? 

Just loads of different stuff wasn't there. Local lockdowns effecting lots of businesses, various NHS departments, doctors, dentists, restrictions on people meeting or gatherings etc. I remember I tried to get a doctors appointment towards the end of July and could only get a phone consultation even though I was involved in a road traffic collision a couple of weeks earlier.

1 minute ago, BecGriff9 said:

Had my first jab yesterday due to my asthma and feel horrific today, aching like I’ve never ached before. 

Just out of interest, which one did you have? I had the Ox-AZ jab and felt fine whereas my sister had the Pfizer one and felt rough for a couple of days. Also wondered if it might be that I've had covid (in the first wave) and she hasn't. 

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

A he said,  she said article getting officials the sack? Sensationalist too, wow. Just ditch the elections, let’s appoint officials by hyperbole. lol

If you think it’s acceptable that the health minister is handing out contracts with tax payers money to his mate which his article establishes and subsequently has delivered 8 million test tubes to the NHS which had to be recalled. Then laugh away. It’s a disgrace. 

I don’t get your line ref elections etc. Evidence such as this should be seeing at the very least Hancock bombed out of the cabinet. 

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Was it the Astra Zeneca one? Has Pfizer a couple of weeks ago and felt nothing but soreness in the arm, but I also know a few who had AZ and felt like **** for a day or so.

Yea Astra Zeneca, parents had Pfizer and both were fine 

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Just out of interest, which one did you have? I had the Ox-AZ jab and felt fine whereas my sister had the Pfizer one and felt rough for a couple of days. Also wondered if it might be that I've had covid (in the first wave) and she hasn't. 

It was the Astra Zeneca, parents had the Pfizer and were both fine. It’s weird how it affects people differently. 

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

If you think it’s acceptable that the health minister is handing out contracts with tax payers money to his mate which his article establishes and subsequently has delivered 8 million test tubes to the NHS which had to be recalled. Then laugh away. It’s a disgrace. 

I don’t get your line ref elections etc. Evidence such as this should be seeing at the very least Hancock bombed out of the cabinet. 

Would just rather see parliamentary investigations than partisan newspaper ones, but II do however realise the short shrift this response may garner though!

2 minutes ago, BecGriff9 said:

Yea Astra Zeneca, parents had Pfizer and both were fine 

Exact same as me and my folks, different strokes for different folks I guess :dunno:

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Would just rather see parliamentary investigations than partisan newspaper ones, but II do however realise the short shrift this response may garner though!

There’s pretty clear evidence within the article what supersedes ‘partisan newspaper’.

Having seen the pathetic outcome of the Grenfell enquiry, I await with bated breath. The damage is already done - there is significant sums of money been awarded to companies with connections to the cabinets and evidence of this just further confirms the cronyism 

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

There’s pretty clear evidence within the article what supersedes ‘partisan newspaper’.

Having seen the pathetic outcome of the Grenfell enquiry, I await with bated breath. The damage is already done - there is significant sums of money been awarded to companies with connections to the cabinets and evidence of this just further confirms the cronyism 

I’ve been following this story with interest, but I don’t see a lot in that article other than the Guardian being upset at being called a rag. If anything it goes toward exonerating him because it suggests his friend went through different channels to get the contract. That he has a bit of a Tory laugh on WhatsApp is neither here nor there.

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Just loads of different stuff wasn't there. Local lockdowns effecting lots of businesses, various NHS departments, doctors, dentists, restrictions on people meeting or gatherings etc. I remember I tried to get a doctors appointment towards the end of July and could only get a phone consultation even though I was involved in a road traffic collision a couple of weeks earlier.

Not so bad 

eat out to help out in full swing 

Leicester had extra restrictions - seeing how the virus took hold as the autumn progressed I guess you can’t argue that those restrictions that were kept in place were justified ......

I do worry about the media obsession with cases.

Cases mean very little, as the number of tests being taken is going up day after day. Today, for example, there were 1.55m tests done. A week ago, there were 863k tests done. Therefore, the number of positive cases are not comparable at all. The media is hinting that the progress may have stopped or even reversed, whereas in all likelihood the pandemic continues to shrink, there's just fewer asymptomatic cases being missed.

Besides, cases are becoming more and more meaningless to count anyway. As the vaccinations of the vulnerable are completed, case rises will no longer necessarily lead to increased hospitalisations and deaths, so why obsess over them? Hospital admissions and deaths are all that matters. Case numbers don't really anymore.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Some studies (not yet peer reviewed) from the USA showing that Pfizer, moderna and J+J jabs aren’t effective enough against s Africa/Brazil strain. 

methinks that the underlying message from govt not to book foreign hols is based on the desire to keep as many mutations out of the country as possible.  remember the green list country post I made ....... could be that even this becomes a problem .....

of course what we need is data from Brazil on how many people who have had a Pfizer jab (or any jab really) have been hospitalised ........I guess we will find that out over the next couple months .....

I’ve just read numerous reports that the Pfizer one is effective against that.

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Have you a link for that?  The story I heard was that the company supplied the 8 million test tubes but the specification was wrong so they had to be used for something else.  If this is the "man who owned a glass factory and had previously owned a pub" story.