Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

Oh yeah; I agree; the wife and I have basically made it up as we go along. My son has learnt loads about maths, chess, astronomy and parts of history he's interested in; he's done very little from the actual curriculum.

My daughters' creative writing has really come on as we've allowed and encouraged her to indulge it.

I suppose I can go back to running my business now!

I don't think the actual curriculum matters all that much.  It was brought in, as I remember, as a kick up the backside to those schools who weren't teaching the children anything.  For example, the fashion in history was that they didn't need to know any facts.

As long as the children are exercising their brains and learning something, useful or otherwise, in these circumstances, I wouldn't care if it means the stuff they are not interested in passes them by.  They'll never need it again.  So what if astonomy isn't on the curriculum?  It's interesting stuff, to some.  (Not me!  All stars, bar one, look the same to me - see one, you've seen them all!)

Good to see higher mask compliance by “adults” when I dropped my youngest off. Still a hardcore who didn’t which is expected based on people’s attitudes in this last year. Also interesting to see how the school threatening to take action has made a lot wear a mask for the first time on school grounds. Obviously the potential personal impact struck a chord whereas they didn’t give a sh1t until that was the case. 

12 hours ago, Otis said:

So when testing 100,000 + per day your going to see well over 1000 positive cases no matter.

Absolutly crazy idea testing healthy people.

What is the origin of these kits?

Depends how they are used. Surely if you test positive to an LF test you’d be directed to get a PCR test and self isolate until you get the result?

16 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Depends how they are used. Surely if you test positive to an LF test you’d be directed to get a PCR test and self isolate until you get the result?

That's the case in many places, so I'd assume it will be the same here. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes. Thought that was what was supposed to happen here. Could well be a lot of kids off school for a few days whilst they await tests.

Depressing phone call with my brother yesterday. He's not going to have the Covid jab as he values his freedom and doesn't trust anyone, including the "World Stealth Organisation".

This is despite him having previously mentioned that 2 relations of his workmate had died of Covid and his sister-in-law had had it - so he presumably accepts that it does exist.

Not sure there's any useful way of addressing such thinking. Although, it later occurred to me that I could have pointed out that it's not the WHO that implements UK vaccination but the "New Hitler Service" (NHS). :ph34r:

As context, he's not a nasty or mad person but has always been anti-authority of any kind, with a paranoid tinge - plenty of past talk about the state being inherently evil, the Bilderberg Group running the world etc.

As far as I'm aware, he's never registered to vote and only registered with a GP and started using a bank account in the last few years (he's over 50). If I tried to persuade him any more, he'd just view me as the bossy, conventional (by his standards) elder brother trying to tell him what to do so, causing further resentment..........Take a long time till my next call, then avoid the subject, I think. 

I'm curious, though. Has anyone else encountered this phrase "World Stealth Organisation"? If so, any idea where it originated?

He doesn't use social media or computers (suspicious of their use for control) so it won't have come from there directly. I did a Google search, but it produced very few hits, so maybe he came up with it himself?

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Depressing phone call with my brother yesterday. He's not going to have the Covid jab as he values his freedom and doesn't trust anyone, including the "World Stealth Organisation".

This is despite him having previously mentioned that 2 relations of his workmate had died of Covid and his sister-in-law had had it - so he presumably accepts that it does exist.

Not sure there's any useful way of addressing such thinking. Although, it later occurred to me that I could have pointed out that it's not the WHO that implements UK vaccination but the "New Hitler Service" (NHS). :ph34r:

As context, he's not a nasty or mad person but has always been anti-authority of any kind, with a paranoid tinge - plenty of past talk about the state being inherently evil, the Bilderberg Group running the world etc.

As far as I'm aware, he's never registered to vote and only registered with a GP and started using a bank account in the last few years (he's over 50). If I tried to persuade him any more, he'd just view me as the bossy, conventional (by his standards) elder brother trying to tell him what to do so, causing further resentment..........Take a long time till my next call, then avoid the subject, I think. 

I'm curious, though. Has anyone else encountered this phrase "World Stealth Organisation"? If so, any idea where it originated?

He doesn't use social media or computers (suspicious of their use for control) so it won't have come from there directly. I did a Google search, but it produced very few hits, so maybe he came up with it himself?

You won't find much on them, the clue's in their name.

https://www.worldstealthorganization.com/

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

You won't find much on them, the clue's in their name.

https://www.worldstealthorganization.com/

Yes, I saw that site. 

Including this bit..... "The World Stealth Organization (WSO) is the most secret organization in the world. [...] WSO membership is estimated to be over 100,000 of the world's most powerful, influential and wealthy individuals". Impressive security!

....and this bit..... " Unverified information about the World Stealth Organization™ [...] from mobile stealth servers in Tora Bora via the dark web. The WSO is widely believed to be based on Fear Island in the Tortoise Islands".

.....and this..... "DISCLAIMER AND COPYRIGHT NOTICE. All material on this site is purely fictitious" lol

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Not sure there's any useful way of addressing such thinking.

Called a co-worker who said he wouldn't get the vaccine and spouting other garbage a donkey last week. Doubt it's a useful way of addressing it but made me feel better. 

In other news, we're continuing to do dumb shit for no reason whatsoever. :S

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56321537

34 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yes, I saw that site. 

Including this bit..... "The World Stealth Organization (WSO) is the most secret organization in the world. [...] WSO membership is estimated to be over 100,000 of the world's most powerful, influential and wealthy individuals". Impressive security!

....and this bit..... " Unverified information about the World Stealth Organization™ [...] from mobile stealth servers in Tora Bora via the dark web. The WSO is widely believed to be based on Fear Island in the Tortoise Islands".

.....and this..... "DISCLAIMER AND COPYRIGHT NOTICE. All material on this site is purely fictitious" lol

How do they know it's fictitious? Could be a double bluff.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Called a co-worker who said he wouldn't get the vaccine and spouting other garbage a donkey last week. Doubt it's a useful way of addressing it but made me feel better. 

In other news, we're continuing to do dumb shit for no reason whatsoever. :S

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56321537

How the hell can a child be expected to be responsible when sticking a 6" long swab up their nose. And how many parents are going to be responsible enough to report a positive result if it means they have to self isolate and be at risk financially.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

How the hell can a child be expected to be responsible when sticking a 6" long swab up their nose. And how many parents are going to be responsible enough to report a positive result if it means they have to self isolate and be at risk financially.

They really really don't understand how normal people think. 

Rightly or wrongly, parents (me included) will do everything possible to either not test, or produce negative tests, for the kids (who, of course, are unaffected by the virus other than in freak circumstances) and keep them in school

.....and before anybody shouts me down that it's to prevent someone else being infected...I know. I'm just being honest and feel that kids giving up.all sport, social and education for a year is frankly, a fairly big contribution to community spirit. Enough is enough 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

They really really don't understand how normal people think. 

Rightly or wrongly, parents (me included) will do everything possible to either not test, or produce negative tests, for the kids (who, of course, are unaffected by the virus other than in freak circumstances) and keep them in school

.....and before anybody shouts me down that it's to prevent someone else being infected...I know. I'm just being honest and feel that kids giving up.all sport, social and education for a year is frankly, a fairly big contribution to community spirit. Enough is enough 

I think you're right.

Unfortunately, that very aspect of human nature is what gives a virus like this an evolutionary advantage over us.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think you're right.

Unfortunately, that very aspect of human nature is what gives a virus like this an evolutionary advantage over us.

It doesn't have an evolutionary advantage over kids.

And I realise your post is a sly dig at being selfish. 

At first lockdown was to protect the weak (and yes, i use that phrase deliberately)....now the weak are protected, we have to prolong restrictions to avoid mutations. 

You can't keeping asking normal people to give up on life. Or maybe you can. The stuffing seems to be knocked out of most now (me included) and new restrictions (vaccine passports, hotel quarantine etc) are.met with a shrug

Been offered some work with my mate calling people to set their appointments up to get their jabs. Issue is I'm under pressure to bring work in at my full time job, at which I'm still on furlough. I know I'm fully in my rights to tell my current work to stick it and do 40 hours a week at the surgery, but that would inevitably leave me at risk later in the year seeing as most people there are just working full time to make money even though they're furloughed. I'm not wedded to the current job but it's stable enough even being on furlough that I don't want to lose it needlessly. I'd do weekend/evening hours setting up jabs but the Mrs wouldn't like that at all. 

In a bit of a spot. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

It doesn't have an evolutionary advantage over kids.

And I realise your post is a sly dig at being selfish. 

At first lockdown was to protect the weak (and yes, i use that phrase deliberately)....now the weak are protected, we have to prolong restrictions to avoid mutations. 

You can't keeping asking normal people to give up on life. Or maybe you can. The stuffing seems to be knocked out of most now (me included) and new restrictions (vaccine passports, hotel quarantine etc) are.met with a shrug

It has an evolutionary advantage over any organism that will allow it to continue to perpetuate, kids included - because that is the only driver it has, pretty much now and always. I hope that is taken as the scientific statement of fact that it is rather than a dig at self-interest.

I agree that lockdown and restriction fatigue is real, and that fatigue is the advantage it has - it doesn't get tired, or bored. That we are a complex species rather than a simple one confers both advantages and disadvantages over more simple organisms when it comes to species survival, and that is one of the latter. The next such virus might have a higher mortality rate and overall cost associated with it.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Been offered some work with my mate calling people to set their appointments up to get their jabs. Issue is I'm under pressure to bring work in at my full time job, at which I'm still on furlough. I know I'm fully in my rights to tell my current work to stick it and do 40 hours a week at the surgery, but that would inevitably leave me at risk later in the year seeing as most people there are just working full time to make money even though they're furloughed. I'm not wedded to the current job but it's stable enough even being on furlough that I don't want to lose it needlessly. I'd do weekend/evening hours setting up jabs but the Mrs wouldn't like that at all. 

In a bit of a spot. 

Bit I've put in bold doesnt exactly seem legal, is it because its business development rather than fee earning work?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Bit I've put in bold doesnt exactly seem legal, is it because its business development rather than fee earning work?

No we're trying to make money. They're abusing the system and we all know it. They justify it to themselves by saying the work is unpredictable and set hours per week wouldn't work in our market. We all know what's going on but no one's going to say anything and sink the company. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba