Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Nobody can force you to have the vaccine, which is what we're discussing. In trying to do so would only make those sceptical people even more unlikely to take it.

I'm unsure of any legalities that means you have to take the vaccine, so you'll have to explain that one.

That's right, but you could be forced to miss out on group activities, such as football, flying on a plane, concerts etc,  that's how i see things panning out. Without everyone having the vaccine there will always be transmission within communities so the only way to stop the transmission is for everyone to be vaccinated. Someone who says they're not having it because the people around me have had it and therefore i can't give it to them are not really seeing the bigger picture of trying to eradicate the virus in society long term, or at least create a minimal risk situation,  as in order to do that as many people as possible need to be vaccinated in the shortest possible time.

5 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

That's right, but you could be forced to miss out on group activities, such as football, flying on a plane, concerts etc,  that's how i see things panning out. Without everyone having the vaccine there will always be transmission within communities so the only way to stop the transmission is for everyone to be vaccinated. Someone who says they're not having it because the people around me have had it and therefore i can't give it to them are not really seeing the bigger picture of trying to eradicate the virus in society long term, or at least create a minimal risk situation,  as in order to do that as many people as possible need to be vaccinated in the shortest possible time.

I agree and I will 100% be having it when offered. I think you're right about the vaccine passport too, but not sure about domestically yet. I just don't believe belittling someone over not having it is going to convince them to have it.

48 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It will be. With 6,000k new cases a day it was just too early to open school gates without this happening. It'll bounce around schools like a common cold. 

Really we needed to wait for a greater drop in case loads but people are impatient. Dammed of you do; dammed if you don't. 

The only reason case numbers are so high is because testing has more than doubled with all the testing in schools. Schools have always been deemed one of the safer places in society, be that transmission or effects. The next few weeks will tell what (if any) effects school reopening would have had. Schools are not going to be worse than supermarkets, the state of some of those are ridiculous. It's like we are back to pre-Covid.

11 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think your example is possibly one of those where the person is making a wrong choice. If someone believes that the vaccine puts them at more risk than benefit, then they have every right to avoid it. No one can force someone to have a beer or a chocolate bar if they don't want it (even if it is safe). Some people have very strict rules as to what they put inside their body (let's keep it clean please!).

5 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

The only reason case numbers are so high is because testing has more than doubled with all the testing in schools. Schools have always been deemed one of the safer places in society, be that transmission or effects. The next few weeks will tell what (if any) effects school reopening would have had. Schools are not going to be worse than supermarkets, the state of some of those are ridiculous. It's like we are back to pre-Covid

The testing has only been in place for the last 8 days but the case numbers have remained steady for the last few weeks. I'm sorry but that notion is false. 

39 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

one of my friends kids has been told to isolate and get tested after calling up their school because they had a... headache. never getting out of this are we

Ridiculous, you can’t be sending everyone who has a headache for a test. 
once everyone who wants the vaccine has had it then there shouldn’t be any need for people to keep going for tests

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Nobody can force you to have the vaccine, which is what we're discussing. In trying to do so would only make those sceptical people even more unlikely to take it.

I'm unsure of any legalities that means you have to take the vaccine, so you'll have to explain that one.

I see that you clarified your own position when responding to the post from yorkie, so fair enough. To be honest they said pretty much what I would have wanted to say.

The only thing I'll add is that while I agree belittlement isn't going to be a productive course of action, I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is when evidently a softer approach explaining the science doesn't work either.

23 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I think your example is possibly one of those where the person is making a wrong choice. If someone believes that the vaccine puts them at more risk than benefit, then they have every right to avoid it. No one can force someone to have a beer or a chocolate bar if they don't want it (even if it is safe). Some people have very strict rules as to what they put inside their body (let's keep it clean please!).

There's rather a lot of difference between someone choosing to avoid risk to themselves and choosing to avoid risk to themselves and putting other people at risk at the same time.

16 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The testing has only been in place for the last 8 days but the case numbers have remained steady for the last few weeks. I'm sorry but that notion is false. 

Case numbers have been steady for only a fortnight.

The first day the 7 day average did not show a significant drop was 3rd March.  7 day average that day was 5,727.

On 24th Feb it was 8,065

On 17th Feb it was 11,020

On 10th Feb it was 12,621

On 3rd Feb it was 17,581

On 27th Jan it was 23,229

On 20th Jan it was 33,088

On 13th Jan it was 43,126

On 6th Jan it was 56,025

Successive falls before the schools went back of 23%, 23%, 30%, 24%, 28%, 13%, 27%, 29%. 

Check the testing graph on the attached.  They started increasing testing frm the beginning of March. 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I’d like to know how those people propose escaping the pandemic then. My biggest gripe with anti-vaxxers Is that there is literally no other route back to normality, yet still they will defiantly stand there with crossed arms like insolent children. Assuming they don’t want permanent lockdown that means they are happy for thousands of people to die every day. I just can’t empathise with these people at all, I see them as a direct threat to my livelihood and general way of life.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-eu-astrazeneca-row-a-complete-timeline

And the French Europe minister on radio this morning claims that France may sue AstraZeneca for not supplying enough of the vaccine they don't want.

Seriously, I think that Astra Zeneca ought to go to the EU and offer to tear up the contract.  Let the EU use vaccines they are happy with, and let AstraZeneca sell their vaccines to people who will actually use them.

Unbelievable. Couldn’t make it up.

2 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I’d like to know how those people propose escaping the pandemic then. My biggest gripe with anti-vaxxers Is that there is literally no other route back to normality, yet still they will defiantly stand there with crossed arms like insolent children. Assuming they don’t want permanent lockdown that means they are happy for thousands of people to die every day. I just can’t empathise with these people at all, I see them as a direct threat to my livelihood and general way of life.

From what I've seen, many anti-vaxxers are also anti-lockdown. Apart from the anti-vaxxers who are still convinced that the virus doesn't exist, their suggestion is just to get on with life and let the virus run riot.

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Why can't they just bend their rules, it's hardly a life or death situation if it's for religious grounds is it, it's just being stubborn for the sake of it. There's a reason why some countries don't allow you in if you've not had vaccinations for yellow fever and polio.

57 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Italy's 7 day case average is over 22,000 and rising, and they have suspended the use of the AZ vaccine :facepalm:

Hope no one's planning a trip over there anytime soon. 

It's the european citizens I feel sorry for. 

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Why can't they just bend their rules, it's hardly a life or death situation if it's for religious grounds is it, it's just being stubborn for the sake of it. There's a reason why some countries don't allow you in if you've not had vaccinations for yellow fever and polio.

I think the latter vaccinations have been around for years and confidence can be higher that there are little to no side effects (or long term effects). Let's not forget that 1 year ago, Covid vaccines were a mere thought in scientists heads. There is a difference between people who don't believe in being vaccinated and those who are just a little unsure if they feel safe having a vaccine that has not gone through rigorous testing. We all know that waiting 5 years was not an option for some people though.

And what about those people who for medical reasons cannot be vaccinated? Do they suffer discrimination because of it? I would hope not. Also, what if someone already had Covid and has sufficient antibodies? Is it necessary to be vaccinated? Should they get some sort of top-up shot rather than the full vaccine? We simply have very little data and knowledge from scientists due to this being so new still. In 3-5 years time I am sure there will be much more knowledge of the disease, the vaccines, the risks etc.

So I can understand some people being careful about whether they have the vaccine or not. At the end of the day, if I have the vaccine, I am protecting myself first and foremost.

Just for clarity, when offered, I will take it. The above is not personal defence but trying to understand reasons why some people may think differently to the majority. I make my own decisions based on what I think is right. If others refuse the vaccine, that's up to them but of course they carry the risk to themselves.

Has there actually been solid proof that transmissions are positively affected by the vaccine yet? I know there was assumptions based on the data but I don't think it is very clear just yet (still early in data gathering).