Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

7 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Not all do it but those that don't is obviously a gamble as you might have to walk miles to find one with space or stand in a queue for hours.

Potentially, or just think better of it, go to the shop for some cans and go home.

It doesn’t bother me enough not to go, it’s just not the full experience is it, it’s just if I’m going to the pub it’s likely with the intention I’ll want to visit three or four whilst I’m out, sometimes I’ll get comfy in one and stay there for the evening until I want to go home. Can’t really do that having to book, but anyway, 1st world problems.

I’m glad they’re open, I’m glad they’re selling beer again and I am “booked” for a pub/park bench with a can of white lightening/whatever garden tomorrow after work which I’m looking forward to. I’ll just prefer it when it’s more relaxed but I obviously understand why it isn’t right now. 

Edited by Manini

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

oh harry, you need to let it go at some point.  don't let it push you to the point where it will affect your trust in loads of things - eg. you wont be able to get on a plane. (and its 18% of positives are false, not 18% of tests)

this 20% false positives on positive  LFT results is a bit of a problem as others have pointed out. 

the current protocol is that you have to take a walk in lateral flow test the day before the event. then you take your own test on the day of the event and again five days afterwards.

if we look at current ONS data, the virus is infecting around 1 in 400.  so around 85 people in the full KP crowd would test positive the day before and of those, 15 would find out on the day of the event via their home LFT that they weren't actually positive. i would expect anyone positive to arrange a PCR within a day but the corrective negative result wouldn't be available until the day after the event at the earliest. 

so are clubs going to commit to refunding those who test positive or are isolating and unable to attend ??

and of more interest is how on earth 30.000 people are going to access walk in LFT's the day before a fixture. (especially a Saturday or weekday where people are unable to get to a test until the evening).  just cant see the current protocols working when scaled up.

Yes. Totally unworkable, especially when scaled up to hundreds of events taking place. 

Interested to see why the narrative from the government is now making vaccines sound like a small part in getting back to normal.

Regardless what happens, theres not a chance they'll be getting my vote in the next generals. 

I understand it's a fluid situation, but you cant keep making positive statements and then going back on them and shifting the goalposts.

This past year has definitely made me more cynical and less trusting in government. 

• Like 4

A research team in Canada has looked at reasons why transmission can vary so much. They concluded that it's in part due to rotational diffusivity. Just as a spinning football is harder for a goalkeeper to catch, there is also a reduction in the tendency of a Covid-19 spike protein to get attached to a host cell if the particle has a higher rotational diffusivity. However, the picture is complicated somewhat by the number and type of spike proteins present on each particle.

https://phys.org/news/2021-04-triangular-shaped-spikes-key-coronavirus-transmission.html

Edited by String fellow

54 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Interested to see why the narrative from the government is now making vaccines sound like a small part in getting back to normal.

Regardless what happens, theres not a chance they'll be getting my vote in the next generals. 

I understand it's a fluid situation, but you cant keep making positive statements and then going back on them and shifting the goalposts.

This past year has definitely made me more cynical and less trusting in government. 

I think the answer is in the new variants, particularly the South African variant, for which most vaccines have limited effect. This is reason for surge testing wherever this variant is discovered.

You say you can't go on shifting the goal posts _ I would agree if the Sars 2 variant did not keep mutating - isn't this to blame for goalposts changing?

Vaccinations continue to be important because they decrease Covid circulation making it easier to keep on top of new variants - although it does seem everyone will need to be re-vaccinated in the autumn/winter.

The knowledge of the disease has increased so much over the past few months; it was a novel disease initially so nothing was known about it - particularly the fact it was so contagious compared to other SARS diseases. Yes, the government made many mistakes to begin with, but these have deceased as time has gone on. (the biggest of these was lack of PPE and understanding.  of the 'aerosol' transmission, which meant health professionals and other workers with direct contact to public wee particularly affected.) Having to weigh up so many variables, including cost  to economy (and the taxes we have to pay to repay borrowing)  cannot be easy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

I think the answer is in the new variants, particularly the South African variant, for which most vaccines have limited effect. This is reason for surge testing wherever this variant is discovered.

You say you can't go on shifting the goal posts _ I would agree if the Sars 2 variant did not keep mutating - isn't this to blame for goalposts changing?

Vaccinations continue to be important because they decrease Covid circulation making it easier to keep on top of new variants - although it does seem everyone will need to be re-vaccinated in the autumn/winter.

The knowledge of the disease has increased so much over the past few months; it was a novel disease initially so nothing was known about it - particularly the fact it was so contagious compared to other SARS diseases. Yes, the government made many mistakes to begin with, but these have deceased as time has gone on. (the biggest of these was lack of PPE and understanding.  of the 'aerosol' transmission, which meant health professionals and other workers with direct contact to public wee particularly affected.) Having to weigh up so many variables, including cost  to economy (and the taxes we have to pay to repay borrowing)  cannot be easy. 

As I say, I'm totally aware its fluid and changes in circumstance are likely 

I'm putting my trust in this government though and can only go on what they're saying. My disappointment is that aside from the vaccinations. 

Pretty much everything else has been incredibly short of what they were saying in the weeks or months leading up to it.

It's getting to the point where its hard to trust anything they say as the reality always tends to be worse.

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

As I say, I'm totally aware its fluid and changes in circumstance are likely 

I'm putting my trust in this government though and can only go on what they're saying. My disappointment is that aside from the vaccinations. 

Pretty much everything else has been incredibly short of what they were saying in the weeks or months leading up to it.

It's getting to the point where its hard to trust anything they say as the reality always tends to be worse.

Yes, very little was made of the variants previously, the vaccine was the saviour that was going to get us out of it, now Boris has changed to saying the lockdowns are getting us out of it.

Either way it doesn't really make much of a difference, more and more people are still to give less of a **** everyday, just got back from the gym and there was no masks and no social distancing, don't think I saw one person with one on, it was like 2019.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

A research team in Canada has looked at reasons why transmission can vary so much. They concluded that it's in part due to rotational diffusivity. Just as a spinning football is harder for a goalkeeper to catch, there is also a reduction in the tendency of a Covid-19 spike protein to get attached to a host cell if the particle has a higher rotational diffusivity. However, the picture is complicated somewhat by the number and type of spike proteins present on each particle.

https://phys.org/news/2021-04-triangular-shaped-spikes-key-coronavirus-transmission.html

Heating this is why Kylie Minogue hasn’t got it yet.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, String fellow said:

If JVT is allowed to use footballing metaphors then so am I.

Sorry, Loris Karius just immediately sprang to mind. I think it was the hard to catch bit. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yes, very little was made of the variants previously, the vaccine was the saviour that was going to get us out of it, now Boris has changed to saying the lockdowns are getting us out of it.

Either way it doesn't really make much of a difference, more and more people are still to give less of a **** everyday, just got back from the gym and there was no masks and no social distancing, don't think I saw one person with one on, it was like 2019.

I think Boris has made an almighty fvck up by coming out with that. Whether or not it’s true about vaccines working, he should have told a white lie and said they made the difference, I’ve had three 20 odd year olds ask me at work today why they should have a vaccine if it’s lockdowns that are the reason less people are catching the virus.

17 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think Boris has made an almighty fvck up by coming out with that. Whether or not it’s true about vaccines working, he should have told a white lie and said they made the difference, I’ve had three 20 odd year olds ask me at work today why they should have a vaccine if it’s lockdowns that are the reason less people are catching the virus.

Did you expect any different from the man? He just gets stuff wrong, out of malice or not. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

9 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Did you expect any different from the man? He just gets stuff wrong, out of malice or not. 

Surely these comments were prompted by the advisors? The data suggests the vaccinations have had a significant impact. Why would Boris downplay his biggest win? No other reason than to try and stop public complacency surely. 8.5 million people have now had 2 doses. If they think they're safe now and start to ignore the rules you might as well just lift restrictions now.

Guest Harrydc
8 hours ago, Line-X said:

What do you mean 'admitting'? - you think the BBC is culpable? 

My main concern about lateral flow testing as I've consistently said over the last few weeks, is that although it's very good at detecting cases of a high viral load, is doesn't necessarily tell you if you aren't carrying the virus or at risk of infecting others and may miss a worrying proportion of asymptomatic cases leading to a false sense of security. 

I absolutely agree with the suggestion that it is grossly irresponsible of the government to roll out a mass testing programme based on "inadequate evidence" of its effectiveness. Particularly as we continue relaxing restrictions. 

In terms of putting the fear of God into the nation with their disgraceful propaganda techniques - yes. 

Edited by Harrydc

29 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

In terms of putting the fear of God into the nation with their disgraceful propaganda techniques - yes. 

lol It's the BBC ffs. Just disregard it then. So why quote it?  I'll answer that for you. Because you can draw from it more of your increasingly hysterical conclusions and irrational non-sequiturs. 

And let's face it, given that you actually think you are living in a "totalitarian" state, you would think that wouldn't you? 

• Like 1

Guest Harrydc
4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

lol It's the BBC ffs. Just disregard it then. So why quote it?  I'll answer that for you. Because you can draw from it more of your increasingly hysterical conclusions and irrational non-sequiturs. 

And let's face it, given that you actually think you are living in a "totalitarian" state, you would think that wouldn't you? 

I don't think we're living in a totalitarian state. 

I know we're living in one. 

Guest Harrydc
4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Have you travelled much Harry ???  You’d hate China ....

The social credit system? 

That's on its way don't you worry. 

Just now, Harrydc said:

I don't think we're living in a totalitarian state. 

I know we're living in one. 

There are rare occasions on the internet, even in spite of the idiocy of social media, or some contributions to the match day threads on Foxes Talk, that someone makes a comment that is so breathtakingly, astoundingly and scarily dumb that you end up perplexed and overwhelmed by the variety of valid counterpoints that present themselves. Instead, you find yourself left to suffocate in the paralysis of indecisive bewilderment - like a rabbit caught in a car's headlight beam - where any response would be preferable to none. 

I'm genuinely slack jawed and lost for words...all I can muster up is that seriously boy, you know nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Harrydc
4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

There are rare occasions on the internet, even in spite of the idiocy of social media, or some contributions to the match day threads on Foxes Talk, that someone makes a comment that is so breathtakingly, astoundingly and scarily dumb that you end up perplexed and overwhelmed by the variety of valid counterpoints that present themselves. Instead, you find yourself left to suffocate in the paralysis of indecisive bewilderment - like a rabbit caught in a car's headlight beam - where any response would be preferable to none. 

I'm genuinely slack jawed and lost for words...all I can muster up is that seriously boy, you know nothing. 

You really do speak in riddles dont you. 

A totalitarian state poses a high degree of control over public life. 

You're telling me that our government does not at this very moment in time control our life? 

What we can do. Where we can go. 

A totalitarian state uses surveillance within its society. 

Track and trace is just the start. Vaccine passports are next. Once they're incorporated, the social credit system is next. 

That's not even discussing the two tier society we will have of 'vaccinated' (compliant) and 'unvaccinated' (non compliant). 

Yet, my comment is up there with the most stupid in your eyes.