Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, brucey said:

The issue with indoor eating isn't the 2 metre distance. It's the lack of ventilation which means aerosols hang about thickly in the air for ages. Distance makes little difference to aerosol transmission in an enclosed space, just reduces more direct droplet transmission. 

Yeah restaurants/bars are being asked to have all doors and windows open when they are back operating inside. Basement bars may not open. 

Saw some video on twitter yesterday of a bloke moaning about the sitting in the bars in Liverpool - it didn't even look that bad. 

Just now, Beechey said:

Our death rates were similar until our second wave (see image 1). France hasn't been hit anywhere near as hard as we where, for whatever reason.

Weirdly though, their reported cases were not far off ours (we had a delayed peak, see image 2), which makes their relative lack of deaths much more confusing. We were struggling with the B117 virus at the time, which had been said to be more deadly.

Who knows what's going on with France's confirmed case figures recently. Gotta be something happening in their testing system to be causing that much noise. 

image.thumb.png.61f420216d638a54b3cfc62159935ac1.pngimage.thumb.png.5a960b81d8be389bcaecd3092c67b2f4.png 

As others have said there are other factors at play. France has one of the lowest levels of obesity in the EU I think. I believe we also have high levels of asthma (but then so does France!).

Lots of factors at play but we have been very badly hit whichever way you look at it.

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

Listening to the nonsense spouted by nutters like the 'icke-onic' David Icke is actually quite boring. It usually involves blaming the Israelis for everything, and It has the effect of making me even more trusting of the scientists and what they say about Covid-19 and other subjects, rather than less. He's arguably the worst thing that Leicester ever produced. As regards advances in science, most are done as a result of collective human scientific effort, not by single mavericks, whose ideas more often than not get discredited, once they've been examined in detail. 

Quite right.

Of course there are conspiracies, the Tuskegee experiments, among others, are an example of science being used unethically. But that is a failure of groups of people, not the scientific method of empiricism and peer review itself, which has proven itself time and time again in seeing off both "bad" and unethical science.

The problem now is that far too many conspiracy theories (and theorists) fail to differentiate between the scientific method itself and *some* of those who practise it, who do get found out in the end...by the scientific method. And they always get found out, given enough time.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Is he actually suggesting that though? As far as I am aware the vaccine programme has been one of this government's greatest triumphs and he is continually shouting about it from the rooftops. 

As has been explained, lockdown does work - but it needs compliancy and it needs to be complimented by a range of other measures. The reintroduction of full national lockdown on January 6th was a huge factor in driving down both case rates and death rates throughout February and March, but not the sole factor. 

I think they've all played a part (obviously), but the way Boris worded it was that it was purely down to the lockdown. Hancock even posted about the vaccine saying it saved thousands of lives a few minutes after Boris did the interview.

In essence it's just Boris bumbling words out again, which has caused everyone to jump on.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Quite right.

Of course there are conspiracies, the Tuskegee experiments, among others, are an example of science being used unethically. But that is a failure of groups of people, not the scientific method of empiricism and peer review itself, which has proven itself time and time again in seeing off both "bad" and unethical science.

The problem now is that far too many conspiracy theories (and theorists) fail to differentiate between the scientific method itself and *some* of those who practise it, who do get found out in the end...by the scientific method. And they always get found out, given enough time.

Sir Fred Hoyle was perhaps a good example of a maverick scientist, despite being at the heart of the scientific community after the war. He coined the phrase 'Big-Bang Theory' to be meant pejoratively, as a way of promoting his (along with Bondi and Gold) Steady-State theory in cosmology, which was later completely discredited. Another of his daft ideas might resonate today. He believed that the influenza virus emanated from space, and that the incidence of its peaks coincided with minima in the solar wind i.e. when sunspots are at their lowest. One wonders what the far less intelligent David Icke would make of all that in relation to the Covid-19 virus!

14 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Sir Fred Hoyle was perhaps a good example of a maverick scientist, despite being at the heart of the scientific community after the war. He coined the phrase 'Big-Bang Theory' to be meant pejoratively, as a way of promoting his (along with Bondi and Gold) Steady-State theory in cosmology, which was later completely discredited. Another of his daft ideas might resonate today. He believed that the influenza virus emanated from space, and that the incidence of its peaks coincided with minima in the solar wind i.e. when sunspots are at their lowest. One wonders what the far less intelligent David Icke would make of all that in relation to the Covid-19 virus!

Yep - even the very best, the most reputable, can sometimes chase theories that turn out to be bunk. That's why the peer review process is so important.

• Like 1

I think it looks busier than it is due to the lack of indoor facilities at the moment, obviously you wouldn't have queues of people snaking down the street too.

We were reaching a point where more people wanted to be out and allowing it legally is the right way forward. People shouldn't be harassed or fined for walking on beaches or quiet places a few miles away.

6 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

regarding the conspiracy theories I think the virus is real but man made and the whole thing is a way to control the population, colipase economy's and so on.

Well, that's answered the question posed by your user-name...

31 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Whatever gave you that impression?

A man made virus that is known to be naturally occurring. Righto. 

0.4% - 3 million against a net global increase of 78 million in 2020 -  well, you have to start somewhere I guess. 

A man mad virus to cull a percentage of mankind, cripple man made economies (and so on) alongside the simultaneous mass roll out of man made vaccines and man made fiscal response/recovery packages, borrowing, investment and multi-national rescue plans. This sinister, nefarious 'New World Order' - bunch of rank amateurs really. 

You haven't really thought this through have you? 

I didn't say depopulate I said control.

Vaccines and such just prolong the whole thing and people having to borrow money, businesses closing down, not being allowed to open, less work etc will lead to a downturn in the economy as we have seen and will continue to see in the next few years.

5 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Vaccines and such just prolong the whole thing and people having to borrow money, businesses closing down, not being allowed to open, less work etc will lead to a downturn in the economy as we have seen and will continue to see in the next few years.

What are "they" planning to do once "they" have control of the world population? 

This is the part where it should get interesting I imagine

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

Ah - ok, well that sounds like a plan. And who precisely is behind this?

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Vaccines and such just prolong the whole thing 

Vaccines that prolong a pandemic? Interesting. This is more sinister than I thought. 

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

and people having to borrow money, businesses closing down, not being allowed to open, less work etc will lead to a downturn in the economy as we have seen and will continue to see in the next few years.

Righto - and this prolonged downturn in the global economy, mounting debt and declining public spending benefits who precisely? 

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Aha, the likes of Bezos, of course! Never trusted him. What better way to see your multinational e-commerce enterprise expand than unleashing a 'man made' highly contagious virus on the unsuspecting global population...and if it wasn't for those meddling journalists they might have got away with it. 

In all seriousness, yeah, I was recently reading the USA Today article naturally, there are always going to be areas of business that seize opportunity, capitalise upon and profit during adversity. 

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Billionaires tend to get richer whatever happens ..... the fact they got richer during a pandemic shouldn’t surprise anyone .....

Not just billionaires - in adversity there is always opportunity. I knew a guy who ran a forklift truck training business. After the 2009 crash Northampton and its reliance on the distribution/logistics sector was hit very hard. However ironically, because of the prevalence of storage and warehousing in the region the DWP nonetheless perceived that a forklift licence was the instant panacea to unemployment and so he had a steady stream of subsidised referrals from the Job Centre Plus. Made an absolute mint. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/14/science-proves-boris-johnson-wrong-vaccines-reducing-deaths/

'Boris Johnson raised eyebrows on Tuesday when he suggested that the reduction in Covid infections, hospitalisations and deaths has not been achieved by the vaccination programme, with the lockdown doing "the bulk of the work".

Thankfully, less than 24 hours later, science had proved the Prime Minister wrong.'

Double click refresh trick in order to view the full article :)

Data on pcr retesting  shows the lft’s give 20% false positives 

if only there was a system to reimburse those (and their families) who have to isolate then we could get a big uptake on these LFT’s and that’s the way forward to open up everything.  Of course human nature would provide a sizeable percentage of people who would actually try to become infected if the compensation was sufficient to act as an encouragement to be tested. 

Edited by st albans fox

This doesn’t follow the narrative .....

Between February 2020 and 15 March 2021, Covid-19 killed at least 852 of Brazil's children up to the age of nine, including 518 babies under one year old, according to figures from the Brazilian Ministry of Health. But Dr Marinho estimates that more than twice this number of children died of Covid. A serious problem of underreporting due to lack of Covid testing is bringing the numbers down, she says. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Data on pcr retesting  shows the lft’s give 20% false positives 

if only there was a system to reimburse those (and their families) who have to isolate then we could get a big uptake on these LFT’s and that’s the way forward to open up everything.  Of course human nature would provide a sizeable percentage of people who would actually try to become infected if the compensation was sufficient to act as an encouragement to be tested. 

I take it that that means that 20% of the positive results received are false, and not that 20% of tests done yield false positives? There is obviously a huge difference.

11 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I take it that that means that 20% of the positive results received are false, and not that 20% of tests done yield false positives? There is obviously a huge difference.

Correct. Out of all of the positive cases from a PCR test, just over 80% were confirmed with another test afterwards.