Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

You’re assuming that the Mail have “called it right” with regards to their audience, at least on this issue. And as I say, some people will have it for a casual browse, some because they want language somewhere between the dumb-down of the Sun and the more challenging read of the Telegraph (there isn’t really that much option in the middle writing-wise) and some because they simply like the Mail’s puzzles or magazine segments.

Whatever the truth though, the Mail haven’t had a good pandemic. Specifically given they were the most vocal newspaper last year over opening society back up again. And yes, I do think their position could end up hurting them in the long run, because I can’t see them gaining many enthusiastic new readers off the back of it. Their business model looks to me like one of continuity and pensioners who will stick with them out of loyalty. This episode suggests those pensioners are more discerning than they perhaps realised with regard to believing what the Mail are saying. From a business perspective, someone at the Mail probably needs to realise this and fast.

Absolutely agree with this. It's a dying readership both literally and metaphorically. 

2 hours ago, Dunge said:

You’re assuming that the Mail have “called it right” with regards to their audience, at least on this issue. And as I say, some people will have it for a casual browse, some because they want language somewhere between the dumb-down of the Sun and the more challenging read of the Telegraph (there isn’t really that much option in the middle writing-wise) and some because they simply like the Mail’s puzzles or magazine segments.

Whatever the truth though, the Mail haven’t had a good pandemic. Specifically given they were the most vocal newspaper last year over opening society back up again. And yes, I do think their position could end up hurting them in the long run, because I can’t see them gaining many enthusiastic new readers off the back of it. Their business model looks to me like one of continuity and pensioners who will stick with them out of loyalty. This episode suggests those pensioners are more discerning than they perhaps realised with regard to believing what the Mail are saying. From a business perspective, someone at the Mail probably needs to realise this and fast.

Yeah, that's a fair answer and I mostly agree.

1 hour ago, KFS said:

WHO acknowledge that Covid is an airborne virus. 

What a mess.

33 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I was going to sarcastically say who knew, but clearly they didn't! 

I’m not sure it’s as simple as that ....... they are making statements of certainty ....previously it’s what was accepted but not a as a 100% fact.  

I imagine that the news from this information is that 2m spacing isn’t really necessary. I’m making a guess that we will see a new requirement emerge in indoor public places which is 1m or perhaps none at all with a face covering or 1.5m without. 

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m not sure it’s as simple as that ....... they are making statements of certainty ....previously it’s what was accepted but not a as a 100% fact.  

I imagine that the news from this information is that 2m spacing isn’t really necessary. I’m making a guess that we will see a new requirement emerge in indoor public places which is 1m or perhaps none at all with a face covering or 1.5m without. 

Ventilation becomes key to their advice now I’d guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

This is why it makes perfect sense that Cinemas and theatres will be full from 21/6 but Football stadiums won’t.

I guess it relates to pinch points inside whilst accessing football stadiums with vast crowds whereas cinemas and theatres can more easily control this with smaller numbers 

actually sitting in the stadia in your seat is less of a risk than a theatre although I’m not sure that many people are standing up and singing/shouting in a cinema ....... 

notably, I know it’s a BH Monday but just the one death recorded ........

Edited by st albans fox

Yep 1 death today. 1 person died for any reason within 28 days of a positive test.

Over 1600 die everyday and it's just 1 person. Yet we're 7 weeks away from reducing all restrictions. 

Let that sink in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yep 1 death today. 1 person died for any reason within 28 days of a positive test.

Over 1600 die everyday and it's just 1 person. Yet we're 7 weeks away from reducing all restrictions. 

Let that sink in.

Yep. Time to flip the culture/thinking on this.

Let's go.

14 minutes ago, Otis said:

Let that sink in.

Absoutely mental that the indoor hospitality restrictions haven't been brought forward slightly.

There was a court case about it, but it was delayed, the case was meant to be heard and decided over 2 weeks ago now.

https://www.boutiquehotelier.com/sacha-lord-to-take-reopening-case-to-high-court-after-government-misses-data-deadline/

15 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Good, let's not rush it. I'd rather 7 weeks more of this or slightly reduced restrictions than this, than go back quicker and end up doing all this shit again in a few months time.

Liverpool has held a few events with no restrictions in the last week - a club event, some business networking thing and a small festival.

If we don't see a spike in a couple of weeks it will be great news.

14 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Absoutely mental that the indoor hospitality restrictions haven't been brought forward slightly.

There was a court case about it, but it was delayed, the case was meant to be heard and decided over 2 weeks ago now.

https://www.boutiquehotelier.com/sacha-lord-to-take-reopening-case-to-high-court-after-government-misses-data-deadline/

Greater powers at work.

Just my feeling 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Liverpool has held a few events with no restrictions in the last week - a club event, some business networking thing and a small festival.

If we don't see a spike in a couple of weeks it will be great news.

Yep. There's been quite a few test events now, where everyone has had to provide a negative test before attending. 

A true test event would be no pre testing and no restrictions, but open only to those who have at least one vaccine. This would be a true indicator of results going forward. 

59 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I guess it relates to pinch points inside whilst accessing football stadiums with vast crowds whereas cinemas and theatres can more easily control this with smaller numbers 

actually sitting in the stadia in your seat is less of a risk than a theatre although I’m not sure that many people are standing up and singing/shouting in a cinema ....... 

notably, I know it’s a BH Monday but just the one death recorded ........

Don’t fool yourself, it’s to do with the demographic of people that go to football rather than the theatre.

I like both but I’m more likely to have a few too many and do something ridiculous at the football.

5 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yep. There's been quite a few test events now, where everyone has had to provide a negative test before attending. 

A true test event would be no pre testing and no restrictions, but open only to those who have at least one vaccine. This would be a true indicator of results going forward. 

It'll be interesting to see if cases if Florida go up, they seem to going for it. This was a week ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soup said:

It'll be interesting to see if cases if Florida go up, they seem to going for it. This was a week ago.

They've been relaxing restrictions in Florida for a considerable amount of time now and nothing has shown up.  Masks just about eliminated.  Vaccine rollout over there has been high though.

Seeing these images though and comparing against Bojo's snail pace lift of his restrictions over here, it's frustrating to see imo.

Just want the next 12 weeks to go by quickly, get the 2nd jab out the way and see a binning of the restrictions over here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

They've been relaxing restrictions in Florida for a considerable amount of time now and nothing has shown up.  Masks just about eliminated.  Vaccine rollout over there has been high though.

Seeing these images though and comparing against Bojo's snail pace lift of his restrictions over here, it's frustrating to see imo.

Just want the next 12 weeks to go by quickly, get the 2nd jab out the way and see a binning of the restrictions over here.

The vaccine rollout in the US has been on par with ours. States such as Florida and a number of others have eliminated restrictions without and increase in cases.

Yet Sage and our government are acting like anti-vaxxers believing the vaccine doesn't  work.

Now is the time to put our trust in the vaccine. 

You can delay opening up properly and keep restrictions forever and maybe it will save a handful of lives, but look at the greater damage these restrictions are causing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

The vaccine rollout in the US has been on par with ours. States such as Florida and a number of others have eliminated restrictions without and increase in cases.

Yet Sage and our government are acting like anti-vaxxers believing the vaccine doesn't  work.

Now is the time to put our trust in the vaccine. 

You can delay opening up properly and keep restrictions forever and maybe it will save a handful of lives, but look at the greater damage these restrictions are causing. 

The U.K. authorities have made a decision that we all open up together here and whilst the 30-40 y/o remain unvaccinated it seems we wait ......

florida is fundamentally an outdoor state but with the heat increasing many will retreat to the air conditioned indoors ....

do you know when florida opened up ?  I see there was an increase in cases from a mid March low of 4500 to a mid April rise to 6700. It has now fallen back to the 5k area ...

30 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Don’t fool yourself, it’s to do with the demographic of people that go to football rather than the theatre.

I like both but I’m more likely to have a few too many and do something ridiculous at the football.

Undoubtedly - I would expect restrictions on alcohol to be strong once we’re allowed back and any sign you’ve had a few too many will see you denied entrance ...

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Undoubtedly - I would expect restrictions on alcohol to be strong once we’re allowed back and any sign you’ve had a few too many will see you denied entrance ...

Should be the case anyway. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The U.K. authorities have made a decision that we all open up together here and whilst the 30-40 y/o remain unvaccinated it seems we wait ......

florida is fundamentally an outdoor state but with the heat increasing many will retreat to the air conditioned indoors ....

do you know when florida opened up ?  I see there was an increase in cases from a mid March low of 4500 to a mid April rise to 6700. It has now fallen back to the 5k area ...

As of April 2, 2021, Florida had not issued a statewide mask requirement.

Latest news:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/03/florida-governor-desantis-suspends-all-remaining-covid-restrictions.html

WASHINGTON — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed an executive order Monday that immediately suspends all outstanding local Covid-19 emergency orders and related public health restrictions.

"The fact is, we are no longer in a state of emergency," DeSantis said during a news conference. He acknowledged that Florida was still not done with its fight against the coronavirus but reiterated the nation's decline in Covid-19 cases and deaths.

"I think that's the evidence-based thing to do," DeSantis said, adding that asking vaccinated individuals to continue to wear masks would undermine confidence in the coronavirus vaccines.

Private businesses can still require masks and enforce social distancing and other protective measures.

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Let that sink in.

Better safe than sorry. Personally I believe we should remain in lockdown, for a couple more weeks.