Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

25 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Does that mean that if any deaths are reported tomorrow, they would have been from at least 27 days ago?

I just read this and wrote 3 different answers and then gave up and decided I didn't understand the question lol

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Does that mean that if any deaths are reported tomorrow, they would have been from at least 27 days ago?

No. If no-one who dies today has had a Covid positive test in past 28 days there will be a zero count. Or, there would be a count of one, if, of all the people who die today, one has had a Covid posiive test within the 28 days before dying.

27 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

No. If no-one who dies today has had a Covid positive test in past 28 days there will be a zero count. Or, there would be a count of one, if, of all the people who die today, one has had a Covid posiive test within the 28 days before dying.

That makes sense. Not

28 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Once again Journalists wasting questions asking Boris who he wants to hug first. Could be asking about variants, vaccinations etc but instead "who do you want to shake hands with" 

Could be asking something important like, Boris, do you think it's fair that Leicester supporters are being treated like cattle yet Chelsea fans aren't and have booked all the pub tables around Wembley

1 hour ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Had my first jab of Pfizer this morning. Feel lucky, as I'm only 33. Plenty around that age in the health centre too, so maybe they're just a bit ahead of schedule up here in Sheffield? 

Or had surplus vials to use up before they are wasted. Good either way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Where did you get the pfizer? 

I've decided not to have the AZ and declined it at Loughborough on Monday 

I will also be refusing AZ.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-57085505

To prevent another catastrophic pandemic, the report suggests key reforms:

The WHO should have a global health threats council with the power to hold member states accountable

There should be a disease surveillance system to publish information without the approval of countries concerned

Vaccines must be classed as public goods and there should be a pandemic financing facility. 

Cheeky sods. Want more power yet shat themselves over the little they had and sat in China's back pocket for ages. Fed countries false information and only now after millions are dead saying they were wrong. 

Don't think they'll get what they seek somehow. 

6 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-57085505

To prevent another catastrophic pandemic, the report suggests key reforms:

The WHO should have a global health threats council with the power to hold member states accountable

There should be a disease surveillance system to publish information without the approval of countries concerned

Vaccines must be classed as public goods and there should be a pandemic financing facility. 

Cheeky sods. Want more power yet shat themselves over the little they had and sat in China's back pocket for ages. Fed countries false information and only now after millions are dead saying they were wrong. 

Don't think they'll get what they seek somehow. 

:dunno: Those measures make sense, even if it isn't directly the WHO but another global body doing them.

Those "millions dead" has easily as much to do with nationalist bickering over the whys and wherefores of the virus that there wasn't nearly enough of a concerted response as the WHO being "wrong", as any global problem addressed by nation-states bound and determined to put themselves first often turns out. I would have thought it was obvious given the way this has all played out that national governments in a global environment and the global associations aren't really fit for purpose when it comes to a problem that can affect everyone in the world.

The last line is true, though - too many major players with too much to lose if more global accountability comes about, they won't let it happen.

34 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

:dunno: Those measures make sense, even if it isn't directly the WHO but another global body doing them.

Those "millions dead" has easily as much to do with nationalist bickering over the whys and wherefores of the virus that there wasn't nearly enough of a concerted response as the WHO being "wrong", as any global problem addressed by nation-states bound and determined to put themselves first often turns out. I would have thought it was obvious given the way this has all played out that national governments in a global environment and the global associations aren't really fit for purpose when it comes to a problem that can affect everyone in the world.

The last line is true, though - too many major players with too much to lose if more global accountability comes about, they won't let it happen.

Not quite sure why you've put wrong as "wrong", since they themselves have admitted to being wrong first off.

And second off, national governments that decided to go against WHO advice and close boarders, such as New Zealand and Australia have both fared well. People have to ask themselves if the WHO had come out strongly for boarder controls instead of saying they don't make a difference whether other national governments would have acted the same way. 

Got no problem blaming governments, a lot of them have made grave errors, but these chumps don't get to pooh pooh their own failures away whilst simultaneously using this pandemic to try and grab more power, which in all honesty, they don't deserve. Hell, they magically couldn't find the time to discuss eating wild exotic animals is a shite idea. Surprise surprise. 

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Not quite sure why you've put wrong as "wrong", since they themselves have admitted to being wrong first off.

And second off, national governments that decided to go against WHO advice and close boarders, such as New Zealand and Australia have both fared well. People have to ask themselves if the WHO had come out strongly for boarder controls instead of saying they don't make a difference whether other national governments would have acted the same way. 

Got no problem blaming governments, a lot of them have made grave errors, but these chumps don't get to pooh pooh their own failures away whilst simultaneously using this pandemic to try and grab more power, which in all honesty, they don't deserve. Hell, they magically couldn't find the time to discuss eating wild exotic animals is a shite idea. Surprise surprise. 

Depends on the degree of "wrong" and how much folks think into how it played out which is entirely subjective IMO, hence my use of speech marks.

TBH though I can see where you're coming from which is why I mentioned that both areas need a good long look at in my first reply. If there is going to be a global administration looking after such things, it needs to be proven competent - but it is necessary and it having teeth is necessary too, current events show that and future events are only going to make it even more stark.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

No no no no no, please no.  If profit-making companies had been banned from producing vaccines and the responsibility given to governments to produce the vaccine, does anyone really believe we would be vaccinating already?