Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

22 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Better safe than sorry. Personally I believe we should remain in lockdown, for a couple more weeks.

So to be clear, you think in 2 weeks weeks we should end all restrictions?

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Absoutely mental that the indoor hospitality restrictions haven't been brought forward slightly.

There was a court case about it, but it was delayed, the case was meant to be heard and decided over 2 weeks ago now.

https://www.boutiquehotelier.com/sacha-lord-to-take-reopening-case-to-high-court-after-government-misses-data-deadline/

5 hours ago, Otis said:

Greater powers at work.

Just my feeling 

The case has now been thrown out because the judge says by the time a ruling is made the pubs will be opening anyway, how convenient that there was that 2 week delay!

6 hours ago, Soup said:

It'll be interesting to see if cases if Florida go up, they seem to going for it. This was a week ago.

6 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

They've been relaxing restrictions in Florida for a considerable amount of time now and nothing has shown up.  Masks just about eliminated.  Vaccine rollout over there has been high though.

Seeing these images though and comparing against Bojo's snail pace lift of his restrictions over here, it's frustrating to see imo.

Just want the next 12 weeks to go by quickly, get the 2nd jab out the way and see a binning of the restrictions over here.

6 hours ago, Otis said:

The vaccine rollout in the US has been on par with ours. States such as Florida and a number of others have eliminated restrictions without and increase in cases.

Yet Sage and our government are acting like anti-vaxxers believing the vaccine doesn't  work.

Now is the time to put our trust in the vaccine. 

You can delay opening up properly and keep restrictions forever and maybe it will save a handful of lives, but look at the greater damage these restrictions are causing. 

Yeah, but DeSantis wouldn't know good science if it danced in front of him wearing nothing more than a couple of strategically-placed beakers.

If he and the Florida government have got this right (and that's still not 100% certain) then luck will have been the reason, not scientific nous and an informed decision.

14 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Good, let's not rush it. I'd rather 7 weeks more of this or slightly reduced restrictions than this, than go back quicker and end up doing all this shit again in a few months time.

As long as that almost guarantees no more lockdowns/restrictions after June/July then I am all for it. However, it would be bad if we end up back at square 1 in September/October and wasted a potentially good few months of May and June for trading.

Fingers crossed this is the ned of major lockdowns. I am sure at some point smaller restrictions may be put in place again during Autumn/Winter while booster jabs are issued out but maybe not. Would be nice to start to live with this now rather than it still affect people's lives as it has.

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

As long as that almost guarantees no more lockdowns/restrictions after June/July then I am all for it. However, it would be bad if we end up back at square 1 in September/October and wasted a potentially good few months of May and June for trading.

Fingers crossed this is the ned of major lockdowns. I am sure at some point smaller restrictions may be put in place again during Autumn/Winter while booster jabs are issued out but maybe not. Would be nice to start to live with this now rather than it still affect people's lives as it has.

Yes, same. I can live with a few more weeks of restrictions if it means that things are then back to normal (or at least very close to normal).

The data looks brilliant here at least, but I just hope the situation in India is not something we need to worry about (not to ignore what is happening there, but I mean the chances of the Indian variant, or whatever it is, arriving here and putting us all back to square one) - looking for someone to gently reassure me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

Yes, same. I can live with a few more weeks of restrictions if it means that things are then back to normal (or at least very close to normal).

The data looks brilliant here at least, but I just hope the situation in India is not something we need to worry about (not to ignore what is happening there, but I mean the chances of the Indian variant, or whatever it is, arriving here and putting us all back to square one) - looking for someone to gently reassure me!

We have a vaccine that works against all known variants including the Indian one.

14 hours ago, Otis said:

So to be clear, you think in 2 weeks weeks we should end all restrictions?

No, not all restrictions. Social distancing, and masks should remain. Pubs, clubs etc. and some other outlets should limit the number of people within them at any one time, in my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

No, not all restrictions. Social distancing, and masks should remain. Pubs, clubs etc. and some other outlets should limit the number of people within them at any one time, in my humble opinion.

This is a 180 degree shift from how it was at the beginning.  At the start of this lot, 14 months ago now, the focus was on protecting the vulnerable by everyone staying at home.  Basically, it was all about keeping the old people alive.

Now it's changed.  Now it's about getting things back to normal and let the old people rot.  Social distancing means the old old - not the active pensioner who goes out every day and builds his own shed, but the people who are definitely slowing down - suffers vastly.  Social distancing means no coffee mornings, no whist drives, and talking to people if you happen to be deaf.  Now that the old are not vulnerable, they are suffering to help the young.  And remember that the old haven't long left.  Well over half a million old people have died who would have died anyway, and have died after a pretty miserable and lonely end to their lives.  Maybe it was justified for the year just gone, but I can't see how it can be justified extending it into next year as well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

This is a 180 degree shift from how it was at the beginning.  At the start of this lot, 14 months ago now, the focus was on protecting the vulnerable by everyone staying at home.  Basically, it was all about keeping the old people alive.

Now it's changed.  Now it's about getting things back to normal and let the old people rot.  Social distancing means the old old - not the active pensioner who goes out every day and builds his own shed, but the people who are definitely slowing down - suffers vastly.  Social distancing means no coffee mornings, no whist drives, and talking to people if you happen to be deaf.  Now that the old are not vulnerable, they are suffering to help the young.  And remember that the old haven't long left.  Well over half a million old people have died who would have died anyway, and have died after a pretty miserable and lonely end to their lives.  Maybe it was justified for the year just gone, but I can't see how it can be justified extending it into next year as well.

34 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

i stand by what I believe. Oh yes, I am a 74 year old pensioner, and have been happy, and will be happy, with any future restrictions. My other half got covid just after Xmas so I didn't see her for weeks.

I don't wish to hear of any more people, both old and young, suffering this dreadful disease.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

i stand by what I believe. Oh yes, I am a 74 year old pensioner, and have been happy, and will be happy, with any future restrictions. My other half got covid just after Xmas so I didn't see her for weeks.

I don't wish to hear of any more people, both old and young, suffering this dreadful disease.

I don't think anyone does but why would they if they have had the vaccine?

If people want to carry on living in fear that's totally up to them. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Nor do any of us.

I do not want to hear about anyone suffering with dementia either.  However the best way to stop coronavirus is also the best way to increase dementia.  Old people with dementia or incipient dementia are advised that the best thing they can do is to get out, and to have a regular programme of social activity.  They are advised that sitting at home doing nothing, seeing no-one or the same one other person, with no variety in life at all, is the worst thing they can do.  We have to balance coronavirus and dementia (and other mental conditions) and decide which poses the greater danger.  IMO at present it is dementia, which is why I believe that maintaining social distancing will do more harm than good.

Edited by dsr-burnley

40 minutes ago, Otis said:

I don't think anyone does but why would they if they have had the vaccine?

If people want to carry on living in fear that's totally up to them. 

Currently 34 million have received the first dose. As I said, it is expected that the remaining 21m of the adult population will have likewise had their first jab by the end of July. In the meantime we need to exercise caution as we emerge from lockdown and restrictions are relaxed because many are still vulnerable and will remain so until they receive their second vaccination which will be late in the year. Nothing to do with "fear". As I said, we are extending our lead in this race - we have huge cause for optimism. By winter it is entirely possible that SARS-CoV-19 can be controlled and in the large part eliminated in this country providing that we properly adhere to quarantine in respect of international travel and continue to exercise due diligence when in shared spaces. We also do not yet know the extent that vaccination prevents transmission/asymptomatic spread.  

I find this impatience bewildering. I expect, and look forward to, being back in the workplace by late June. If in the very unlikely scenario we have further restrictions forced upon us preventing me from remaining there due in part to certain sections of the ****wit British public under the illusion that normality has returned to the world, I may not have a job in that workplace to return to second time around. Again, to emphasise, this is a global crisis and we are a global community...it isn't going to disappear overnight.

Is there any way to pin this sentence on this thread every week? because I'm getting sick of typing it. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Currently 34 million have received the first dose. As I said, it is expected that the remaining 21m of the adult population will have likewise had their first jab by the end of July. In the meantime we need to exercise caution as we emerge from lockdown and restrictions are relaxed because many are still vulnerable and will remain so until they receive their second vaccination which will be late in the year. Nothing to do with "fear". As I said, we are extending our lead in this race - we have huge cause for optimism. By winter it is entirely possible that SARS-CoV-19 can be controlled and in the large part eliminated in this country providing that we properly adhere to quarantine in respect of international travel and continue to exercise due diligence when in shared spaces. 

I find this impatience bewildering. I expect, and look forward to, being back in the workplace by late June. If in the very unlikely scenario we have further restrictions forced upon us preventing me from remaining there due in part to certain sections of the ****wit British public under the illusion that normality has returned to the world, I may not have a job in that workplace to return to second time around. Again, to emphasise, this is a global crisis and we are a global community...it isn't going to disappear overnight.

Is there anyway to pin this sentence on this thread every week? because I'm getting sick of typing it. 

Those who haven't been vaccinated are very very low risk of developing serious symptoms. 

People are inpatient because they see the vaccine rollout being far better than expected yet the speed of loosening restrictions doesn't change. 

Initially it was about protecting the vulnerable, now it's about protecting everyone and even those who don't want to be protected. 

If we could see a clear message saying everything would be back to 2019 normality from June 24th the imo people would say ok. But i fear this won't happen. (Hope I'm wrong)

We will definitely not be back to what we remember as normal in June.

Masks are here for a good time yet, social distancing too but that will become ever harder to police as the public become fatigued with restrictions and rules.
Does anyone for example really believe that you’ll be able to meet friends in a pub in town, not have to book a table, not have to sign in and then go from pub to pub whenever you please?

Im also quite concerned about the autumn/winter numbers increasing (as they naturally will) and restrictions being put back in place.

The government have done a fantastic job with the vaccinations, but I take every announcement they make regarding dates and lifting of restrictions with a pinch of salt.

I fear we will have to forget what we remembered as normal and have to adjust to their “new normal” 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Otis said:

Those who haven't been vaccinated are very very low risk of developing serious symptoms. 

And you know this how? I know four individuals personally, currently afflicted by long covid - in their twenties and thirties. 

People are inpatient because they see the vaccine rollout being far better than expected yet the speed of loosening restrictions doesn't change. 

There was a prescribed roadmap devised in conjunction with the expected pace of the phased vaccination programme which if delivered as planned - would proceed as planned. To reiterate, 31 million have now received their first jab. We are on course, but it is still work in progress.

Initially it was about protecting the vulnerable, now it's about protecting everyone

Incorrect - it was about shielding the vulnerable but protecting the entire nation's health by driving down the infection rate. The vaccinations developed and the programme in progress have always been about protecting everyone. 

and even those who don't want to be protected. 

What?

If we could see a clear message saying everything would be back to 2019 normality from June 24th the imo people would say ok. 

We are talking about the complex evolving dynamic of a viral pandemic. Such assurances are undeliverable. Nothing can be guaranteed. What if there was a regional superspreading event?

But i fear this won't happen. (Hope I'm wrong)

But everything won't be back to normal - why are you unable to comprehend that? The world has changed - perhaps reflectively in some respects for the better. You need to think more widely than yourself or your immediate circumstances. This is an ongoing global crisis that in many countries will continue to evolve and grow. Yes, your familiar parochial routines and habits will in time all be restored and fully recognisable - perhaps by the end of June -  however important or superficial those may be. Saying that, irrespective of whether you can enjoy a pint indoors at the local, or attend a football match, for many, the consequences will be acutely felt for a generation to come. I agree, we need a progressive, positive outlook and we need to wrest our lives and individual existences back - fast, but we also need to learn from this and possibly be prepared for further adaptation. For the foreseeable future, simply to exercise diligence and caution, (if only through retention of the current standards of public hygiene), consider others and above all remain vigilant to the threat that still remains overseas and a spectre that could return to haunt these shores regardless of our extraordinarily successful vaccination programme. 

On a positive note, I am very confident that the continuing vaccination rollout will have effectively controlled, if not all but eliminated SARS-CoV-19 in the UK by 2022. 

I do however have a question for you and several others on this thread which was originally posed to another member by @leicsmac last year. Before I ask it, given that you have personally stated on here that "lockdown doesn't work" (in spite of the fact that the entire evidence based fields of epidemiology, virology and immunology world wide would beg to differ), rewind to March 2020 and October 2020. The question/scenario is - you are in charge of health policy in the UK - What do you prescribe? It's easy to say what you would do differently because our government has made so many mistakes and sent such mixed messaging which has indeed fueled the levels of outrage and frustration. Very simply, the R number is soaring exponentially - and your alternative to lockdown is? 

Alongside poor access to public health education, low levels of hygiene, testing and availability of medical care - what do you think is the single most prevalent driving factor behind the recent horrific rates of infection in India? 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Line-X said:

And you know this how? I know four individuals personally, currently afflicted by long covid - in their twenties and thirties. 

There was a prescribed roadmap devised in conjunction with the expected pace of the phased vaccination programme which if delivered as planned - would proceed as planned. To reiterate, 31 million have now received their first jab. We are on course, but it is still work in progress.

Incorrect - it was about shielding the vulnerable but protecting the entire nation's health by driving down the infection rate. The vaccinations developed and the programme in progress have always been about protecting everyone. 

What?

We are talking about the complex evolving dynamic of a viral pandemic. Such assurances are undeliverable. Nothing can be guaranteed. What if there was a regional superspreading event?

But everything won't be back to normal - why are you unable to comprehend that? The world has changed - perhaps reflectively in some respects for the better. You need to think more widely than yourself or your immediate circumstances. This is an ongoing global crisis that in many countries will continue to evolve and grow. Yes, your familiar parochial routines and habits will in time all be restored and fully recognisable - perhaps by the end of June -  however important or superficial those may be. Saying that, irrespective of whether you can enjoy a pint indoors at the local, or attend a football match, for many, the consequences will be acutely felt for a generation to come. I agree, we need a progressive, positive outlook and we need to wrest our lives and individual existences back - fast, but we also need to learn from this and possibly be prepared for further adaptation. For the foreseeable future, simply to exercise diligence and caution, (if only through retention of the current standards of public hygiene), consider others and above all remain vigilant to the threat that still remains overseas and a spectre that could return to haunt these shores regardless of our extraordinarily successful vaccination programme. 

On a positive note, I am very confident that the continuing vaccination rollout will have effectively controlled, if not all but eliminated SARS-CoV-19 in the UK by 2022. 

I do however have a question for you and several others on this thread which was originally posed to another member by @leicsmac last year. Before I ask it, given that you have personally stated on here that "lockdown doesn't work" (in spite of the fact that the entire evidence based fields of epidemiology, virology and immunology world wide would beg to differ), rewind to March 2020 and October 2020. The question/scenario is - you are in charge of health policy in the UK - What do you prescribe? It's easy to say what you would do differently because our government has made so many mistakes and sent such mixed messaging which has indeed fueled the levels of outrage and frustration. Very simply, the R number is soaring exponentially - and your alternative to lockdown is? 

Alongside poor access to public health education, low levels of hygiene, testing and availability of medical care - what do you think is the single most prevalent driving factor behind the recent horrific rates of infection in India? 

Strictly speaking, it's not the R number that soars up exponentially, it's the number of cases that soar up exponentially as a result of R taking a constant value somewhat greater than one. There's a huge difference between the two things!

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Strictly speaking, it's not the R number that soars up exponentially, it's the number of cases that soar up exponentially as a result of R taking a constant value somewhat greater than one. There's a huge difference between the two things!

Correct. It isn't possible for the R number to "soar exponentially" rather as you say, the infection/case rates that constitute it which is what I was alluding to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

Currently 34 million have received the first dose. As I said, it is expected that the remaining 21m of the adult population will have likewise had their first jab by the end of July. In the meantime we need to exercise caution as we emerge from lockdown and restrictions are relaxed because many are still vulnerable and will remain so until they receive their second vaccination which will be late in the year. Nothing to do with "fear". As I said, we are extending our lead in this race - we have huge cause for optimism. By winter it is entirely possible that SARS-CoV-19 can be controlled and in the large part eliminated in this country providing that we properly adhere to quarantine in respect of international travel and continue to exercise due diligence when in shared spaces. We also do not yet know the extent that vaccination prevents transmission/asymptomatic spread.  

Is there any way to pin this sentence on this thread every week? because I'm getting sick of typing it. 

Well said sir.

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

We will definitely not be back to what we remember as normal in June.

Masks are here for a good time yet, social distancing too but that will become ever harder to police as the public become fatigued with restrictions and rules.
Does anyone for example really believe that you’ll be able to meet friends in a pub in town, not have to book a table, not have to sign in and then go from pub to pub whenever you please?

Im also quite concerned about the autumn/winter numbers increasing (as they naturally will) and restrictions being put back in place.

The government have done a fantastic job with the vaccinations, but I take every announcement they make regarding dates and lifting of restrictions with a pinch of salt.

I fear we will have to forget what we remembered as normal and have to adjust to their “new normal” 

Another sensible post.

• Like 1

Some random observations/consequences during the past year...

I now accept that my ears are simply the wrong shape and clearly not conducive to the wearing of a face mask - it keeps falling off in Sainsbury's. Fortunate then that I abandoned any suggestion as a teen of becoming a surgeon and joined a rock band instead. I've noticed that it can also get very cluttered up there with sunglasses, and earphones. Saying that, even though it fogs up my reading glasses, when I return to work, I will continue to wear a facemask long after restrictions are relaxed as it's a good way to prevent my boss from smelling the alcohol on my breath...I also quickly found that it was a decent disguise when purchasing non-essential junk food from the local Co Op.

Been growing my hair as a consequence of lockdown, went out to the shop recently on a sunny day, caught my reflection in a shop window...

NINTCHDBPICT000001555605-1.thumb.jpg.e3766cf0194272addbe0c867b9dd9dfc.jpg

Novelty facemasks are shit. 

My garden has never looked to good....neither has my bank balance. 

Tonight I'm excited at the prospect of taking the rubbish out - what should I wear?

A veteran of the WWII Burmese Campaign, Captain Tom Moore was knighted for his valiant stand - or rather steps against the virus that was to later claim his life. I've since learnt that he also raced motorcycles - albeit not as a consequence of a viral pandemic. What a boy! RIP.

Meanwhile Jay Flynn was awarded an MBE not so much for engaging and captivating a nation during these "unprecedented times" - but largely out of recognition for proving to be the most inept quizmaster in broadcast/internet history. 

I always spun my toilet roll holder like the wheel of fortune - genuinely on account of the ****wit panicking British public, last spring I was honestly turning it like cracking a safe. 

I actually don't miss matchdays as much as I thought I would. 

I always opt to avoid the canned stadium sound in coverage where possible - although you can still hear Kasper's profanities regardless. However I will take that moment in which BT mistakenly piped through 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles' during our home game against Fulham to my grave. 

The ones that implore you to "wake up" on this thread are invariably the same people at school that slept through science classes. 

Not content with funding chemtrails and frying your brain with 5G - I've learnt that Bill Gates has a secret eugenics plan to depopulate the world with vaccines. Because naturally, all murderous, dastardly villains detail their nefarious schemes through TED Talk presentations. Actually, forget all this talk of Bill bloody Gates, I'm convinced Zoom are actually the evil masterminds behind the Covid pandemic in association with Google classroom. 

2020/21 update: instead of wearing masks to avoid chem trails, conspiracy theorists now avoid masks, even in the midst of a pandemic.

This...

xf2QtEV.jpg.4dce8ee2ecaa5e77d7e1b6d1dea95342.jpg

Anyone else clock the rapidity in which people uploaded the MS Teams app to their phone last April so they can still appear to be working whilst shopping at B&Q?

It has come to my attention that middle aged men on Zoom strategically position/angle the camera to capture bookshelves and often feel the need to deploy guitars 'conveniently' and innocently leaning in the background alongside random evidence of sporting activity. Note Matt Hancock's contrived cricket ball. I'll take that over a custom background though.

nanosecond
/ˈnanə(ʊ)sɛkənd/
noun

1. one thousand-millionth of a second.
    • INFORMAL
      The time it took television advertisers to adapt their campaigns to lockdown.

One year down the line and that same person is still coming into the meeting on mute - whilst it appears not muting your mic is the new "reply all"

Back to May 2020, and my typical Zoom/MS Teams meeting schedule as follows:

10:00 - 10.05: Waiting for the host to start the meeting

10:05- 10.10: The group pisses about with crappy default virtual backgrounds following one person's deployment the week before. A week later everyone has downloaded their own.

10:10 - 10:15: Some ****er struggling yet again with audio

10:17: "Hang on, let me try my headphones"

10:20: Actual business of meeting. Five voices speak simultaneously, followed by awkward silence as nobody speaks at all. 

10:40: Degenerated into everyone holding up cats, people brandishing young children or conducting a guided tour of house complete with renovations.

10:55: "Stay safe!" - followed by that socially awkward interminable period actually figuring out how to leave the meeting. 

The UK is apparently a totalitarian state. 

Finally and most importantly, the pandemic has witnessed the long awaited reintroduction of the previously endangered species 'Dangerous Tiger' to this forum. 

5 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Some random observations/consequences during the past year...

I now accept that my ears are simply the wrong shape and clearly not conducive to the wearing of a face mask - it keeps falling off in Sainsbury's. Fortunate then that I abandoned any suggestion as a teen of becoming a surgeon and joined a rock band instead. I've noticed that it can also get very cluttered up there with sunglasses, and earphones. Saying that, even though it fogs up my reading glasses, when I return to work, I will continue to wear a facemask long after restrictions are relaxed as it's a good way to prevent my boss from smelling the alcohol on my breath...I also quickly found that it was a decent disguise when purchasing non-essential junk food from the local Co Op.

Been growing my hair as a consequence of lockdown, went out to the shop recently on a sunny day, caught my reflection in a shop window...

NINTCHDBPICT000001555605-1.thumb.jpg.e3766cf0194272addbe0c867b9dd9dfc.jpg

Novelty facemasks are shit. 

My garden has never looked to good....neither has my bank balance. 

Tonight I'm excited at the prospect of taking the rubbish out - what should I wear?

A veteran of the WWII Burmese Campaign, Captain Tom Moore was knighted for his valiant stand - or rather steps against the virus that was to later claim his life. I've since learnt that he also raced motorcycles - albeit not as a consequence of a viral pandemic. What a boy! RIP.

Meanwhile Jay Flynn was awarded an MBE not so much for engaging and captivating a nation during these "unprecedented times" - but largely out of recognition for proving to be the most inept quizmaster in broadcast/internet history. 

I always spun my toilet roll holder like the wheel of fortune - genuinely on account of the ****wit panicking British public, last spring I was honestly turning it like cracking a safe. 

I actually don't miss matchdays as much as I thought I would. 

I always opt to avoid the canned stadium sound in coverage where possible - although you can still hear Kasper's profanities regardless. However I will take that moment in which BT mistakenly piped through 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles' during our home game against Fulham to my grave. 

The ones that implore you to "wake up" on this thread are invariably the same people at school that slept through science classes. 

Not content with funding chemtrails and frying your brain with 5G - I've learnt that Bill Gates has a secret eugenics plan to depopulate the world with vaccines. Because naturally, all murderous, dastardly villains detail their nefarious schemes through TED Talk presentations. Actually, forget all this talk of Bill bloody Gates, I'm convinced Zoom are actually the evil masterminds behind the Covid pandemic in association with Google classroom. 

2020/21 update: instead of wearing masks to avoid chem trails, conspiracy theorists now avoid masks, even in the midst of a pandemic.

This...

xf2QtEV.jpg.4dce8ee2ecaa5e77d7e1b6d1dea95342.jpg

Anyone else clock the rapidity in which people uploaded the MS Teams app to their phone last April so they can still appear to be working whilst shopping at B&Q?

It has come to my attention that middle aged men on Zoom strategically position/angle the camera to capture bookshelves and often feel the need to deploy guitars 'conveniently' and innocently leaning in the background alongside random evidence of sporting activity. Note Matt Hancock's contrived cricket ball. I'll take that over a custom background though.

nanosecond
/ˈnanə(ʊ)sɛkənd/
noun

1. one thousand-millionth of a second.
    • INFORMAL
      The time it took television advertisers to adapt their campaigns to lockdown.

One year down the line and that same person is still coming into the meeting on mute - whilst it appears not muting your mic is the new "reply all"

Back to May 2020, and my typical Zoom/MS Teams meeting schedule as follows:

10:00 - 10.05: Waiting for the host to start the meeting

10:05- 10.10: The group pisses about with crappy default virtual backgrounds following one person's deployment the week before. A week later everyone has downloaded their own.

10:10 - 10:15: Some ****er struggling yet again with audio

10:17: "Hang on, let me try my headphones"

10:20: Actual business of meeting. Five voices speak simultaneously, followed by awkward silence as nobody speaks at all. 

10:40: Degenerated into everyone holding up cats, people brandishing young children or conducting a guided tour of house complete with renovations.

10:55: "Stay safe!" - followed by that socially awkward interminable period actually figuring out how to leave the meeting. 

The UK is apparently a totalitarian state. 

Finally and most importantly, the pandemic has witnessed the long awaited reintroduction of the previously endangered species 'Dangerous Tiger' to this forum. 

You ok, bro?

That Spice is a bitch innit?