Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Guest Fktf
3 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

So there were 15 cases in a care home (denoting vulnerable or elderly people) who had only just had their second vaccine dose (so not fully protected) and only 4 became unwell (but not seriously) and nobody died.

Big deal.

It is a big deal. The more we see evidence of the vaccines working across variants, especially in the frail, the more likely it is that we're coming to the end of this mess.

15 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

OK, it's a breach, but I'm finding it hard to get excited by it.  How excatly could a company, insurer, employer or scammer exploit it?  An employer couldn't admit the had the information, an insurer would have already asked the question, I'm not aware of any scammer trying to sell fake vaccines but I'm sure if they are they will target people at random.

As for friends who search your medical records illegally and put pressure on you accordingly - they would be "friends" you're better off without.  

Let them fix it, let them take care it doesn't happen again, and if anyone can show they have been damaged by this failure, let them be appropriately compensated.  And then let that be an end of it.

Exactly. Judging by the number of people who post their "vaccine status" on facebook, you wouldn't exactly have to dig very deep into NHS systems to find this information out anyway!

Small piece on the BBC news app that all under 40s will supposedly receive an alternative jab to the Oxford one. Not based on any new information/ medical fears, so suggests we’ve maybe received higher quantities of Pfizer and Moderna than expected?

Guest Fktf
1 hour ago, GlennyFox55 said:

Small piece on the BBC news app that all under 40s will supposedly receive an alternative jab to the Oxford one. Not based on any new information/ medical fears, so suggests we’ve maybe received higher quantities of Pfizer and Moderna than expected?

The guidance is based on weighing up risk of side effects of the AZ vaccine, risk of death from covid for the age group, current number of Covid cases, and supply of different vaccines.

In older groups it is judged that the risk from covid infection outweighs the risk of side effects from the AZ jab. In younger people, given cases are low and we have good supply of alternative vaccines to AZ, it is judged that the risk of the AZ side effects outweigh the risk of infection.  

1 hour ago, Fktf said:

The guidance is based on weighing up risk of side effects of the AZ vaccine, risk of death from covid for the age group, current number of Covid cases, and supply of different vaccines.

In older groups it is judged that the risk from covid infection outweighs the risk of side effects from the AZ jab. In younger people, given cases are low and we have good supply of alternative vaccines to AZ, it is judged that the risk of the AZ side effects outweigh the risk of infection.  

Or, more likely, convincing under 40’s to get a jab by giving them an alternative option that is deemed safer. Although I’d say that a few cases in 30 odd million is fairly safe anyway

8 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Relevance?

Surely if this impaired partiality he wouldn't be highlighting over caution and misinformation by...... a tory government.

He would if he wanted the Tory party to peddle actual misinformation on the matter, not the mirage that he has created here. Just because you're a fan of the government of the day doesn't mean you might not want them to do more stuff you're a fan of.

NB. And like it or not there is a substantial subset of Conservative voters who will go with them on issues like Brexit but buy into the conspiracist bollocks about Covid and so disagree with the way they've handled things here.

Edited by leicsmac

19 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Relevance?

Surely if this impaired partiality he wouldn't be highlighting over caution and misinformation by...... a tory government.

The "relevance" is that his claim of being "strictly impartial"  is demonstrably untrue based upon many of his previous tweets.

21 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

He isn't directly though. He hasn't really mentioned the government that much - his tweets are more directed at SAGE, the science behind the guidelines and the current restrictions. A very good example posted on here last weekend is this:

He creates a deceptive headline bearing tenuous relationship to the article based upon a sentence and an example of appalling journalism...which unsurprisingly plucked from The Mail. 

SAGE didn't "admit" anything of the sort.

Also, there can still be differences in opinion irrespective of political affiliation. His own agenda is merely to create clickbait content and in some cases that will involve and has related to Tory leadership or MPS. 

On some occasions, he simply relays information - but too often they are deceptively framed sensationalist straplines or at best merely kernels of truth. If you then rely upon or regurgitate such subjective, superficial snippets, you completely overlook the context or the wider picture. Such is the nature of susceptibility to meme generated bias, social media heresay and the epitome of the post-truth era. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Line-X said:

You're a good contributor to this forum and I genuinely enjoy reading your posts but seriously, you need to understand the nature of cherry picking and confirmation bias.

‘Politics For All/News For All is a Twitter account that has grown rapidly in recent months. Concerningly, its not only appearing more  frequently on here, but appears to be retweeted and promoted by prominent social media users. It's run by a single individual - an 18 year old staunch Brexiteer and Tory party supporter by the name of Nick Moar - so the claims of being "strictly impartial" are a bit of a laugh. Literally the old cliché of the kid in his bedroom/Mum's basement then. His method is to channel snippets of current affairs news and extracts from a range of online media sources (many opinion pieces), remove the context, add a superficial sensationalist strapline that appeals to populist audience, a veneer of legitimacy and then rack up thousands of retweets every day in the process. He also periodically deletes previous tweets once the job is done. This is a classic case in point. The sentence/passage isn't even sourced or referenced but is then linked to the following report from the ONS for authenticity that he knows full well no one can be arsed to read or check the veracity of his claims....

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending23april2021

These sites are popular with users because they reinforce opinion driven arguments which stoke the echo-chambers and bounce back and forth within them. 

Imagine Harrydc starting an online rolling social media news site and you pretty much have it. 

Was at work mate so couldn't reply only just getting a chance to!

Didn't know any of that, so thanks. Will do a little bit of research into it, never knew he deleted tweets or anything.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, filbertway said:

Surely that in itself should be the news. 15 elderly vaccinated people catch Indian variant with none becoming severely ill. 

Seems like a positive to me as well, even though they seem to be painting it as a negative 

17 hours ago, Fktf said:

It is a big deal. The more we see evidence of the vaccines working across variants, especially in the frail, the more likely it is that we're coming to the end of this mess.

Agree totally. I was merely being dismissive of the scaremongering headline. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Was at work mate so couldn't reply only just getting a chance to!

Didn't know any of that, so thanks. Will do a little bit of research into it, never knew he deleted tweets or anything.

On the other hand, at a quick glance, he does on occasions offer some amusing observational humour and genuine pointers to articles and developments of interest. One in ten tweets need actual substantiation which is often deceptively provided or completely absent. 

• Like 1

Guest Harrydc
15 hours ago, Line-X said:

Imagine Harrydc starting an online rolling social media news site and you pretty much have it. 

If that's what the fans want. 

3 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Am I the only one annoyed at the travel industry and people up in arms about the safe list? You've got Portugal, Gib and Israel on there. If you're after some sun, they've got you covered.

Think the only thing that annoys me about it is the airline/holiday bosses spouting shite like "we need to get the economy restarted, get people back to their families, UK at risk of falling behind reeeee". 

Just say it how it is ffs, you want money. We get it. No need to paint it as anything else. I love a week all inclusive in the sun as much as the next brit, but imo foreign travel should be the very last restriction to be lifted, and even then it needs watching carefully. Both because we still aren't safe, and because keeping British money in Britain certainly isn't going to hurt after the year our service sector has had. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Am I the only one annoyed at the travel industry and people up in arms about the safe list? You've got Portugal, Gib and Israel on there. If you're after some sun, they've got you covered.

It’s a difficult balancing act but remember these people are talking from a place where they can see people in the industry struggling to get by.

I know someone who spent a lot of money and quit their job to get their private pilot license. They got it in Jan last year, they won’t have the income to pay off that debt.

My other half is a pilot as well so I know first hand what the impact of this has been financially but I recognise that others know the impact of catching/ dying from Covid so there definitely has to be a balance.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Think the only thing that annoys me about it is the airline/holiday bosses spouting shite like "we need to get the economy restarted, get people back to their families, UK at risk of falling behind reeeee". 

Just say it how it is ffs, you want money. We get it. No need to paint it as anything else. I love a week all inclusive in the sun as much as the next brit, but imo foreign travel should be the very last restriction to be lifted, and even then it needs watching carefully. Both because we still aren't safe, and because keeping British money in Britain certainly isn't going to hurt after the year our service sector has had. 

I don't think international travel should be discounted. However, countries that are close to the same position as the UK, cases/infection wise, vaccination progress etc. should not be limited. Not much different to holidaying in the UK and it gives people more choice and something potentially more affordable.

Having said that, countries at risk with variants/high case numbers must be managed accordingly. I think the current balancing act is OK and we will see how it works. Completely closing borders for a few years is not the way forward and completely OTT.

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Mate, it's a fvcking joke.

The Falklands? South Georgia? Ascension Island? Tristan da Cuna? Oz and NZ won't let anybody in. What exactly is the point in listing any of them?

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

The Falklands? South Georgia? Ascension Island? Tristan da Cuna? Oz and NZ won't let anybody in. What exactly is the point in listing any of them?

Doesn't matter, it's just the UK's position on those destinations. Travel is a 2 way thing and you need to check both ways. Germany allows me in without quarantine now but I can't leave the UK until 17th May for example. Doesn't stop Germany allowing travel from the UK. Imagine if all 200+ countries tried to work in harmony with each other?

50 minutes ago, Buce said:

I've been to the first 3 of those listed. All British overseas territories, so it makes sense. Lovely places too. 

5 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I've been to the first 3 of those listed. All British overseas territories, so it makes sense. Lovely places too. 

Then you'll know that none of them are holiday destinations in any meaningful sense of the word.

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Then you'll know that none of them are holiday destinations in any meaningful sense of the word.

Loads of tourists on Falklands. Makes up a good portion of their income. Plus Ascension has beautiful beaches, excellent fishing and wildlife. 

I'd happily holiday on both. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

You must be a great catch, you stud :appl:

Humble brag weren't it? 

The highest 'status' bird I've ever had  was an HCA (auxiliary nurse aka arse wiper). I wonder what it's like to date someone clever and earns a decent wedge?

Of.course,.Costock_Fox's bird could be a fella...