Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

I use freetrade - simple app which keeps things simple!

Just mainly ETF's which I drop feed into to get a market average, and some shares in oil/gold etc. Nothing fancy but looking to hold for 25+ years so hoping for a decent yield.

All it takes these days is a tweet from Trump to send the stock market up and down like a whores drawers so need to be careful. Always best to use stop losses if your day trading to avoid losing your shirt, and have a target price to sell at. Don't be to greedy as well, always best to sell all or some when you're up a decent amount because it can easily swing the other way with little warning.

59 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

Iv'e read some reviews on Trading212 . A lot of people saying its very hard withdrawing your money. Anyone shed any light on this?.

I joined yesterday and withdrew £5 as a test. It hit my account like 4 hours later (I use monzo so probably longer for bigger banks) not sure if this would be the same with a large amount of money, I hope so though! 

I tend to invest in trackers, when I go for individual firms its's because the market has crashed so much they are a bargain (recent buys). Or I go with my gut about a service I like (Just Eat, As Seen On Screen ASOS). 

Don't check every day, I lost money in the early days panicking as my investments jumped about and I sold them. View your investment as a 20 year plus timeframe. 

• Like 2

Question from a complete novice. When it gets to a point where you want to sell... whether you’ve had the shares a month or a few years, how does it work? 

I remember putting something like £100 in Trading212 (or something similar) a few years back and I had absolutely no idea how to get my money out. Wasn’t bothered as I did it out of boredom and I’d have lost it/spent it somewhere else regardless. 

But I’m due some money coming in and would like to invest it. Obviously before I do so, I’d research, but a brief description in layman’s terms would be most appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Question from a complete novice. When it gets to a point where you want to sell... whether you’ve had the shares a month or a few years, how does it work? 

I remember putting something like £100 in Trading212 (or something similar) a few years back and I had absolutely no idea how to get my money out. Wasn’t bothered as I did it out of boredom and I’d have lost it/spent it somewhere else regardless. 

But I’m due some money coming in and would like to invest it. Obviously before I do so, I’d research, but a brief description in layman’s terms would be most appreciated. 

If  you’re investing on the same basis as you did last time then just give it to me ...... I’ll look after it until you’ve forgotten about it :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Most platforms will allow you to click on your investment and there will be a sell button. Unless they are purposely making it difficult, I’m which case I wouldn’t want to be with them.

Depending who you are with you’ll pay a transaction fee. Can be quite high, sold some just eat yesterday and the fee was £12.50. If you trade a lot you can find cheaper transaction fees.

• Thanks 1

With lots of experience of losing money, I've found that the best way to go is with an index tracker. 

I recommend Vanguard. Very low commission charges - no shareholders. 

When you put money in a tracker you invest in 100s of shares. 

You can also invest in mixes of stocks and bonds. 

From my experience do not invest in one or 2 stocks. You are doomed to get losses. 

lot of the big financial institutions are starting to buy bitcoin, very volatile but long term may well be a sound investment.

One firm, think it is grayscale or something. are reported to have bought more than all the new bitcoin produced since the beginning of May.

Edited by nnickn

My tactic at the moment is to log in at 8am.see which stocks have plummeted by 10% or more and buy some. Everytime so far with in an hour or two they have gone up by 5 or 6% at which point I sell. I do this with about 5 stocks to spread risk. It is making me a fair bit but I'm worried I'm being incredibly naive to think this is a going to continue. I've already doubled my money so think I'm going to withdraw initial investment and carry on doing this with profit until I'm rich or I lose it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, enmac said:

With lots of experience of losing money, I've found that the best way to go is with an index tracker. 

From my experience do not invest in one or 2 stocks. You are doomed to get losses. 

Warren Buffet had a 10 year bet, that a standard S&P 500 tracker would beat a handful of managed funds looked after by some of the markets brightest minds. He thrashed them comfortably and won his bet.

Unless you are prepared to put a lot of time and energy into proper research, then it's by far the best way to go.

• Like 2

On 07/06/2020 at 15:55, matty98 said:

I've started recently with Trading212, seems quite a good platform for those interested.

Made quite a bit investing in Shell and BP.

If anyone's interested I have a referral link which you can open an account and deposit £1 into and we both get a share worth up to £100 (Normally around £10 but still free money!). 

www.trading212.com/invite/Fg32RrZ2

Tried using the referral link but think it's dead. Gonna give this a play with some of the money saved from being stuck at home. lol

12 minutes ago, Benguin said:

My tactic at the moment is to log in at 8am.see which stocks have plummeted by 10% or more and buy some. Everytime so far with in an hour or two they have gone up by 5 or 6% at which point I sell. I do this with about 5 stocks to spread risk. It is making me a fair bit but I'm worried I'm being incredibly naive to think this is a going to continue. I've already doubled my money so think I'm going to withdraw initial investment and carry on doing this with profit until I'm rich or I lose it. 

Could always have a stop order to limit any losses, some people aren't comfortable with losing more than x amount.

Signed up last night with Trading212, seems a decent platform to use so far on Mobile, and a quick easy set up.

Layout pretty self explanatory even for a newbie like me.

www.trading212.com/invite/FzB8k2e9 

We both get a free share if anyone’s interested.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Tried using the referral link but think it's dead. Gonna give this a play with some of the money saved from being stuck at home. lol

That's strange, i've had about 5 sign ups from my post haha, no worries though! Think a few others have posted their links too, maybe give them a try

2 minutes ago, matty98 said:

That's strange, i've had about 5 sign ups from my post haha, no worries though! Think a few others have posted their links too, maybe give them a try

Yeah they aren't working either. Reckon my phone is just not a fan. I'll try again when I get home on the pc. :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matty98 said:

Worked at home, didn't get owt free though, probably messed it up. Gonna have a play. lol

21 hours ago, enmac said:

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/articles/latest-thoughts/investing-success/which-recommended-provider-again?cmpgn=ET0620UKCENLC0001

50 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yep. Not even checked today as I don't wanna see the bad news.

Which, I hope, is the whole point of taking along term view. Don't panic when the value plummets 

Yes, you have to take the long term view. 5 plus years. Don't get in to the habit of checking prices every 5 minutes. Otherwise you'll end up being a very big boozer