Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

On 11/03/2021 at 13:05, Tommy G said:

Has anyone got a HL junior S&S ISA for their kid(s)?

My two are old enough to have had Gordon brown's  child trust funds. 

I've beavered away the child benefit for both since birth so they can buy themselves some learning at a later date. 

Been well worth it as it stands. So if you are thinking of it or starting out, I'd recommend it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I've beavered away the child benefit for both since birth so they can buy themselves some learning at a later date. 

Been well worth it as it stands. So if you are thinking of it or starting out, I'd recommend it.

Yes, and assuming people thinking of doing this have relatively young kids, go aggressive. Pound cost averaging on regular contributions means you can afford to take the risk providing it's going to be a good few years before it's in their sticky mitts.

I often get twitchy when I think of how little I have in the way of savings, but then have to remind myself that I've put a fair bit away for the kids

14 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Not eligable for Child benefit but would if I was. I'm only sticking £50 a month away atm hoping over the next 18 years it will grow into something. 

49 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Not eligable for Child benefit but would if I was. I'm only sticking £50 a month away atm hoping over the next 18 years it will grow into something. 

Will definitely be doing this when we have kids. The compound interest on 18-21 years has got to be enough for a house deposit on even £25-£50 a month. 

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

There are some really good regular savings accounts available for kids, both mine have one. It allows putting in up to £100 a month and the interest rate is currently at 3.5% (last year it was 4.5%). The accounts last for a year and then the final savings are transferred into a standard savings account (but you could move that into an ISA for long term savings). Then start again next year putting up to £100 a month away. Perfect for those who are giving max £100 to kids/grandkids.

I have mine under Halifax but Barclays have some too which I will open up once allowed (classed as non-essential, but you can open online if you bank with them - I don't).

https://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/kids/kids-monthly-saver.html

https://www.barclays.co.uk/savings/instant-access/childrens-regular-saver/

Of course these are not tax free but if you don't have masses of savings, you are unlikely to go over your threshold. £1,000 a year in interest for basic rate taxpayers with current interest rates would be an achievement unless you have large investments or savings accounts (non-ISA).

These certainly work very well for us and help maximise savings.

On 16/03/2021 at 14:23, KrefelderFox666 said:

There are some really good regular savings accounts available for kids, both mine have one. It allows putting in up to £100 a month and the interest rate is currently at 3.5% (last year it was 4.5%). The accounts last for a year and then the final savings are transferred into a standard savings account (but you could move that into an ISA for long term savings). Then start again next year putting up to £100 a month away. Perfect for those who are giving max £100 to kids/grandkids.

I have mine under Halifax but Barclays have some too which I will open up once allowed (classed as non-essential, but you can open online if you bank with them - I don't).

https://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/kids/kids-monthly-saver.html

https://www.barclays.co.uk/savings/instant-access/childrens-regular-saver/

Of course these are not tax free but if you don't have masses of savings, you are unlikely to go over your threshold. £1,000 a year in interest for basic rate taxpayers with current interest rates would be an achievement unless you have large investments or savings accounts (non-ISA).

These certainly work very well for us and help maximise savings.

Rellis put some into the halifax one, i trf thast into this S&S ISA ive got. But thanks for pointing out.

Anyone opened up a pension for their kids? A long shot but ive heard if you put £3,600 when they are bord by the time they are 55 it will be worth silly money because of the compound growth. Worth a one off gamble for the price of a holiday 

On 11/03/2021 at 11:03, ThurmastonFox said:

We must be nearing some news. I’m expecting an after hours announcement to accommodate the Aussie market 

Fairly good news this morning. Let’s see if we can get double digits today. 

57 minutes ago, ThurmastonFox said:

Very nice results but SP doesn’t seem to want to play ball

Really frustrating. Feel like market makers fiddling things. Going to try and ignore it for a few months and just set price alerts as I know it has legs 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 12:50, Tommy G said:

Rellis put some into the halifax one, i trf thast into this S&S ISA ive got. But thanks for pointing out.

Anyone opened up a pension for their kids? A long shot but ive heard if you put £3,600 when they are bord by the time they are 55 it will be worth silly money because of the compound growth. Worth a one off gamble for the price of a holiday 

Sorry, missed this.

Two points: I've not, and I've only seen it done in a few instances by very, very wealthy people who have used up all the other allowances available to them. The main reason I think is that when investing for children, the main things that folk have in mind is the capital being used for things much earlier in life, such as a first car, house deposit, wedding etc.

You're right in that the returns over that time, if invested aggressively, could be fantastic.

Second point is that the age you can draw on a pension is CURRENTLY 55, but will be going up to age 57, and what it will be by the time little kids of today get anywhere near retirement is anyone's guess

On 18/03/2021 at 12:50, Tommy G said:

I have. And felt a bit preposterous for doing so tbh. 

My rationale was, there'll be no inheritance money to leave when I cop it. I'll either want to have spent it  or, more likely, care fees will eat up  wealth by the time we all get there. 

I stick 20 quid away for each every month. Tbh I have no idea how much is wasted in fees for such a piddling amount

8 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I have. And felt a bit preposterous for doing so tbh. 

My rationale was, there'll be no inheritance money to leave when I cop it. I'll either want to have spent it  or, more likely, care fees will eat up  wealth by the time we all get there. 

I stick 20 quid away for each every month. Tbh I have no idea how much is wasted in fees for such a piddling amount

Shouldn't be a lot. Assuming there's no adviser involved I'd be surprised if the provider is taking more than 1% p.a.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Does anyone know if isa is good for shorts term investment?

Anything with a risk element, no. Five years is generally seen as the minimum, as historically stock markets have generally provided a positive return over five year periods. The shorter the period, the increased chances of the value going down

• Like 1

Anyone in the UK playing with 88E on the LSE it is going gangbusters here on the ASX will be a heck of a lot of burnt fingers next week if this drill result comes up short of spectacular and if it comes back like last years off a cliff it will go on both LSE and ASX it will be interesting to see if it continues its run today on your market as it exploded on open here this morning then drifted back to close at same pretty much as yesterdays but the 4 day weekend here will have played a part in its dip today as news is due Mon/Tues next week 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Anyone hold on to their Dogecoin from a couple months ago? Went up like mad yesterday along with many other cryptocurrencies. 

Nope, sold at $0.047. Can't believe it's still going.

Can't complain too much. I shifted everything into Litecoin which has been going strong vs. BTC.

Screenshot_20210414-105521.png

9 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Nope, sold at $0.047. Can't believe it's still going.

Can't complain too much. I shifted everything into Litecoin which has been going strong vs. BTC.

Screenshot_20210414-105521.png

Me neither, nobody would have expected it hitting 0.10 lol coming down a bit now though. Suspect Litecoin will be a better shout in the long run. I am hedging my bets on Vechain as an alternative based on my amateur research and FOMO, but will look into Litecoin.

Edited by lgfualol

On 14/04/2021 at 08:28, lgfualol said:

Anyone hold on to their Dogecoin from a couple months ago? Went up like mad yesterday along with many other cryptocurrencies. 

Yeah, man. 

Was considering selling when all the fuss died down in February, but thought I may as well keep the cash in there long term.

Glad I did, made about £600 in two days. Popped an extra few quid in as I imagine it'll continue going up for the time being. Important to keep an eye on it though as it's probably unstable and could come crashing down at any point.

Diamond hands. :appl: