Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Kostas Tsimikas

50 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Wouldn't mind us coughing up a bit more and buying Jamal Lewis for ~£20mill

On paper it makes sense, young, PL experienced, homegrown, etc... But a lot of Norwich fans don’t rate the lad and he was benched by Byram until he got injured.

• Like 3

Just now, moore_94 said:

And until Chilwell actually leaves thats all he would've been doing for us.

Chilwell is our weak link and when he comes up against anyone half decent he gets terrorised. Just think we’ve missed a trick here not signing him especially with Fuchs’s age and injury 

2 minutes ago, Sankey93 said:

Chilwell is our weak link and when he comes up against anyone half decent he gets terrorised. Just think we’ve missed a trick here not signing him especially with Fuchs’s age and injury 

We probably could've done with signing him, but he is probably more than happy to go and sit on Liverpools bench, even if we matched the bid he most likely would still choose to go to Liverpool, nothing else we can do about it.

3 minutes ago, Sankey93 said:

Or he's chosen to sign for the prem champions over us? 

Not been impressed by Jamal Lewis any time ive seen him. I hope we steer well clear if we are looking at left backs.

I know he scored a banger against us, but he was having a mare before that 

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

Great another young prospect we were after who’d get plenty of game time with us gets to now sit on the Liverpool bench week in week out,  as can’t see Robertson or the other established defenders in front of Tsimikas be replaced by the young Greek ?

• Like 1

Shame if we've missed out on this one. Seems a steal.

At least we're not competing with Liverpool for our next target.

Got me thinking about whether it's best to get a replacement for an outgoing player before or after the sale. With Maguire, we'd already signed 2 young CBs a year beforehand, but by doing this, you run the risk that they won't be ready to step in when needed. When Slabhead finally was sold, we still wanted to buy again to replace him, but everyone knew we had £80m in the bank and priced us out the market.

If you try instead to get a replacement just before you sell a player, you can't guarantee the incoming player a place in the first team, and you also can't guarantee the planned sale of the outgoing player will go through. Plus, if you do pull it off, interested parties know you have more need to sell and will lower their bids.

Damned either way.

4 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Chilwell hasn't been wonderful defensively, but the way we play doesn't help sometimes. The Man City game at around Christmas time sticks out for me when at times he had to mark both Mahrez and De Bruyne at the same time. I just think Ben gets way more criticism than he's due.

His strength is carrying the ball and getting up that left-hand side. He breaks lines which is crucial for any team. He's always there ready to initiate or support an attack. Yes his crossing isn't perfect but it has improved and he's chipped in with a few goals and assists. I think he's a lot better than many give him credit for, personally.

I wonder if Chilly would be better being put further up the field and not given responsibility for defending. He started as a central midfielder so maybe stick him on the left mid and see what happens? He is pacey and can work on his crossing? I don't think he actually enjoys defending 😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Chilwell hasn't been wonderful defensively, but the way we play doesn't help sometimes. The Man City game at around Christmas time sticks out for me when at times he had to mark both Mahrez and De Bruyne at the same time. I just think Ben gets way more criticism than he's due.

His strength is carrying the ball and getting up that left-hand side. He breaks lines which is crucial for any team. He's always there ready to initiate or support an attack. Yes his crossing isn't perfect but it has improved and he's chipped in with a few goals and assists. I think he's a lot better than many give him credit for, personally.

his problem is that hes a defender that simply cant defend. IE stones

2 minutes ago, Hales said:

I wonder if Chilly would be better being put further up the field and not given responsibility for defending. He started as a central midfielder so maybe stick him on the left mid and see what happens? He is pacey and can work on his crossing? I don't think he actually enjoys defending 😂

So as in the 352 system we started to use? 

• Like 1

Just now, UniFox21 said:

So as in the 352 system we started to use? 

Yeah I think it's worth a try surely? I watched an interview with him the other day and he loved playing as a central mid and was put to left back as he had a good left foot and there was no-one else at the time and then he ended up staying there. He loved playing there so play to his strengths and let him push up. Put someone behind him to cover the defensive work.  He has great stamina and can run and run. He can cross and this can be worked on so he is more consistent. He has a good shot on him too....

12 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

I disagree with this bit of your comment entirely: 'his strength is carrying the ball and getting up that left-hand side'.

His actual strength is carrying the ball into the inside channel, not the wide area. Unfortunately for Chilwell he is an old-fashioned left back in that sense - if we played with touchline-hugging wingers it wouldn't be a problem, but the modern day has inside forwards which operate between the CB and RB i.e. Barnes.

When you have Chilwell running inside, Maddison operating in the half space, and Barnes inside up against the CB with his back to goal, you have three players all in the same space. When he tries to play wide like Ricardo he is shit because he can't play the skilful one-twos and I've seen better crosses from League 1 centre-halves.

The modern day full-back must be the wide playmaker, that allows you to have three goalscoring forwards like Liverpool do - Salah and Mane are their main goalscoring threat, not creative ones, and you have TAA and Robertson overlapping to great effect.

Look at Justin against Villa. Even despite the fact he's right footed, he operated much more like a modern full-back in that game and allowed Barnes the inside space.

For me both Maddison and Barnes will improve significantly without Chilwell in the team, and that's not because they don't get on. It's just that Chilwell isn't actually a very good attacking full-back these days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hales said:

Yeah I think it's worth a try surely? I watched an interview with him the other day and he loved playing as a central mid and was put to left back as he had a good left foot and there was no-one else at the time and then he ended up staying there. He loved playing there so play to his strengths and let him push up. Put someone behind him to cover the defensive work.  He has great stamina and can run and run. He can cross and this can be worked on so he is more consistent. He has a good shot on him too....

The 352/343 really suits Ricardo and Chilwell, so I'd love us to properly utilise it next year. 

• Like 1