Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

36 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Final sentence makes no sense mate. By the way, I’m trying to discuss this with you here so no need for the sarcasm.

Are you saying then that VAR hasn’t impacted on numbers of goals scored, but disallowed? Aren’t the figures clear?

It makes perfect sense, but I'll break it down.

Those 'figures are clear' but they only include VAR decisions where a goal has been allowed in normal play. What they don't include is;

•     the 27 times a goal was disallowed in normal play but VAR then allowed it.
  •     the 22 times VAR awarded a penalty when one wasn't given in normal play.
  •     the 4 times VAR decided a penalty need to be retaken

All of these are clearly positives in terms of bets based on goals scored

Edited by turtmcfly

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

For sure, the tech is not the issue though...

The A league use VAR superbly. Its rarely intrusive and even less rare does it become centre stage.

They dont review decisions OTT like happens here. Checks takes about 10-20 seconds and you rarely find yourself disagreeing

I'd rather it not be used than used poorly I suppose.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

The lines would still have to come out exactly the same as they do now, but in your proposed idea, it would be whenever someone looks 6 inches offside, instead of 0 inches like now. Changes nothing.

It changes everything- at the moment, goals are being disallowed for offside as a fact when players may well be onsde because the freezing of the frame cannot be said to be 100% accurate in conjunction to the moment the  ball is played. Having a buffer still leads to the line being drawn but if the striker falls just the wrong side of that line then there is no doubt that they were offside. 

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Nah Ndidi was much further away.

Not that that should make a difference. Kante's 'natural silhouette' is not having his hands up near his head. I can't work out how Liverpool don't have a penalty from that.

Not sure klopp won’t refer to it later ....

4 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

It makes perfect sense, but I'll break it down.

Those 'figures are clear' but they only include VAR decisions where a goal has been allowed in normal play. What they don't include is;

•     the 27 times a goal was disallowed in normal play but VAR then allowed it.
  •     the 22 times VAR awarded a penalty when one wasn't given in normal play.
  •     the 4 times VAR decided a penalty need to be retaken

All of these are clearly positives in terms of bets based on goals scored

I definitely concur on the penalties. Of course there will be goals stem from them that wouldn’t have before. Good point

👍

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

A clear sign of Liverpool’s demise is where 60 mins have passed and the bookies are now offering 21/20 on btts

They really don’t think they’ll score 

Why don’t you back it then they definitely won’t 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Technology is fine and goal line tech is superb.

VAR in England is equivalent of having blind people manually operating traffic lights.

How rubbish is it that you cant celebrate a goal these days?

The crux ...... the benefit of var does NOT outweigh the loss of fans and players in being able to celebrate the goal in the moment ......we had mistakes before var and we have mistakes with  var.  so what’s the point of it! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Doesn't seem to be an end in sight to Liverpool's woeful run. Just imagine if they start next season in the same way... That could get very interesting for Klopp! 

I'll enjoy it.

• Like 1