Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bonanza

The OH Leuven Thread 2020/21

59 minutes ago, brucey said:

What was the purpose of playing the 2nd promotion play off game against Beerschot? Is there some prize money attached? 

No prize money. This game just decided that Beerschot is the champion of the 2019 - 2020 season.

Because we lost we have to start in the 5th round of the Belgian Cup with the 2nd division teams, while Beerschot and the other 1st division teams will start 1 round later.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

That's because of the total mismanagement, corruption and amateurism that's going on.

Any rumours of any players you might be signing? You’ll be  Fishing In a different pond I guess now promotion has been confirmed....

13 hours ago, MPH said:

Any rumours of any players you might be signing? You’ll be  Fishing In a different pond I guess now promotion has been confirmed....

Rumour has it we'll sign 1 or 2 new players before monday's game. One of those players might be a goalkeeper.

Now that we're in 1st division we should be able to sign better players. The board has said several times in the past that it was difficult to convince players to join the club as we were in 2nd division, but now that we got promoted there are no more excuses!

I'm not worried about the money we can spend because King Power will give us the necessary funds, but I'm worried about the guys who are in charge of signing players. Wim De Corte and Rob MacKenzie. Their "track record" hasn't been that good.

17 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

Rumour has it we'll sign 1 or 2 new players before monday's game. One of those players might be a goalkeeper.

Now that we're in 1st division we should be able to sign better players. The board has said several times in the past that it was difficult to convince players to join the club as we were in 2nd division, but now that we got promoted there are no more excuses!

I'm not worried about the money we can spend because King Power will give us the necessary funds, but I'm worried about the guys who are in charge of signing players. Wim De Corte and Rob MacKenzie. Their "track record" hasn't been that good.

Lee Congerton might be available to help! :unsure:

18 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

To be fair to them it's much more difficult to find gems in a market that is restricted for the reasons you mention.

• Like 1

The shared scouting system is strange, obviously both teams want the best players they can find so I suppose who gets who will depend on price. But what if our team spot a Mahrez type bargain? Who gets him then? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

Interview with our CEO:

CEO Peter Willems ambitious: “Bringing OHL step by step towards subtop”

OH Leuven, according to CEO Peter Willems, aspires to return in 1A to a carefree season, to grow step by step into a sub-topper”. Just like coach Marc Brys, the CEO is aware that the squad must absolutely get a quality injection if OHL does not want to run the risk of dropping down to 1B.

OHL escapes a fifth straight season in hell of 1B. According to Willems, the promotion was not a must, but he and the entire "board" reacted very relieved after the Pro League opened the gate to 1A on Friday. Realizing that chairman Aiywatt Srivaddhanaprabha would not continue to spend millions if OHL had been stuck in 1B for several more years. “Now we can really look upwards,” says Peter Willems. “The foundations - the stadium and the beautiful training complex - and the structure of the club are there to make OHL a steady and ambitious 1A club in no time. We now have to raise the level on the pitch, to be able to have a carefree season and to be able to look further upwards afterwards.

Defensive reinforcement

All focus of the OHL board now goes to strengthen the team. After a great first half on Sunday against Beerschot, it became clear during the second period that a quality injection is absolutely vital. First of all in the defensive compartment. For example, Keet, Duplus, Schuermans and Tshimanga - and not only them, by the way - all were to blame for at least one of the four goals.

“We conceded thirty goals in fourteen games in the second part of the season. In March, our issues were already clear, and now they came up again against Beerschot. We've been looking for reinforcements since early March, but nearly five months were lost to discussions, bickering and hassle of the Pro League. Some of the players who were certainly an added value for our team, but who only wanted to sign if we got promoted to 1A, were tired of waiting and moved to other first division teams. ”

“Anyway, we have to go on and now some deals are almost done. And since we are sure of 1A, agents are happy to offer us possible acquisitions. Now, every player we attract must be a real reinforcement, absolute 1A quality.

(I used google translate to translate the interview, so I apologize for any grammatical error. I tried to correct the most obvious ones, but some might have slipped my mind)

Jan Vertonghen on a free?

12 minutes ago, RyyRyy said:

Jan Vertonghen on a free?

That's a little to ambitious :)

A lot of us would love to see a return of Dennis Odoi, who currently plays at right-back for Fulham. Born and raised in Leuven, came through our youth ranks and played for us in the 3th and 2nd division.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/denis-odoi/profil/spieler/59641

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

The shared scouting system is strange, obviously both teams want the best players they can find so I suppose who gets who will depend on price. But what if our team spot a Mahrez type bargain? Who gets him then? 

I didn't think it was shared - if you follow Mackenzie on twitter, he's always on the continent looking the lower tiers. 

Disappointing to hear Leuven fans are disappointed with his scouting because he's worked under two blokes are considered some of the best in the UK and identified some great players for both Leicester and Spurs 

3 hours ago, Bonanza said:

Rob Mackenzie has joined Aston Villa

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Rob Mackenzie has joined Aston Villa

Indeed he has:

Aston Villa swoop for former Leicester and Tottenham talent spotter

Highly-rated Mackenzie is joining from Belgian club OH Leuven and will work alongside new sporting director Johan Lange as the club's head of recruitment.

He was previously part of the Leicester scouting team which took the likes of Riyad Mahrez and Esteban Cambiasso to the King Power Stadium, while he also played a part in Tottenham’s capture of Son Heung-min and Toby Alderweireld.

Villa have carried out a thorough review of their recruitment department and see Mackenzie’s appointment as key to improving their record in the transfer market.

The club spent £140million after winning promotion back to the Premier League last season but with largely mixed results, only avoiding an immediate return to the Championship by a single point.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/08/06/aston-villa-swoop-for-former-leicester-and-tottenham-talent-spotter/

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I didn't think it was shared - if you follow Mackenzie on twitter, he's always on the continent looking the lower tiers. 

Disappointing to hear Leuven fans are disappointed with his scouting because he's worked under two blokes are considered some of the best in the UK and identified some great players for both Leicester and Spurs 

Like you said, he searches the lower tiers looking for talent.

That means he's the one who's responsible for players like Milan Tucic, Dylan Ouedraogo and Sam Hendrik. None of those guys are good enough for the Belgian 2nd division, let alone the 1st division. Most of the time, they weren't even on the bench.

Ouedraogo joined us last summer coming over from Limassol (Cyprus) but has only played 44 minutes as he came on as a sub in the last game of the regular season against Virton.

Tucic joined us last summer coming over from Ruder Velenje (Slovania). He played 227 minutes over 4 games (56 min. per game)

Sam Hendriks joined us 2 years ago from Go Ahead Eagles (Dutch 2nd division). 493 minutes over 13 games (38 min. per game) in the 2018 -2019 season. We send him on loan in January of 2019 and again last season. While he still has a contract until Juni 2021, he isn't even with the club at the moment.

• Like 2

We have been denying and sending off a lot of better youthplayers, than what McKenzie has brought in. I'm sorry to say, but that's a cold hard fact. You can ask any Leuven fan. Gilis, Mertens, Sula... I would take them above the guys Bonanza mentioned above in a heartbeat. The better players that have been signed during his tenure, were all players from the Belgian leagues, or even downright from our own league (Henry, Maertens, Aguemon...) and you didn't need a scout for that to begin with because every fan without an impairment could have told you to get those guys. I don't know what it is, it's as if what works in England, doesn't work in Belgium (or Leuven at least). Pearson, Hirst, Kapustka, McKenzie... Not that the guys that were doing the job before did it really any better, but I for one expected a bit more from big names coming from overseas.

Edited by Lizhang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

image.png.8d00b5f662be68e96902bbbc8af039ef.png

Anyone know if this is being shown anywhere in the world? 

In addition to hesgoal, the match is already scheduled to be streamed on cyfostreams.

Put that in your browser, followed by the most "common" domain extension. Same as with Hesgoal, which uses the same domain extension, i advise to use a secondary browser, with a few adware blocking plugins.

• Thanks 1