Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bonanza

The OH Leuven Thread 2020/21

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Owner.

And they're fantastic owners for us, but I still don't see the appeal.

But then I'm against people being able to have control of more than one club that can, however unrealistic, meet each other in a competitive tournament/fixture. Not really that bothered about say Man City and Melbourne City, even though it's just all money orientated again.

Footballers can't bet socially on any other football match because of a conflict of interest, or a game they can influence yet Red Bull nearly had two of their clubs face each other in the Europa league recently. Work that one out :dunno:

43 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

But then I'm against people being able to have control of more than one club that can, however unrealistic, meet each other in a competitive tournament/fixture. Not really that bothered about say Man City and Melbourne City, even though it's just all money orientated again.

Footballers can't bet socially on any other football match because of a conflict of interest, or a game they can influence yet Red Bull nearly had two of their clubs face each other in the Europa league recently. Work that one out :dunno:

I wasn't trying to justify it just that it was more than just sponsorship good or bad?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I think initially a lot of people from both Leicester and Leuven thought (some hoped, some feared) that it would be a feederclub situation. That turned out not to be the case (luckily for us at least). At that time one of your forum members posted the original OHL topic in the main part of the forum. I assume that's why Bonanza put the new topic there as well. Back then i also wondered if there wasn't a better spot for it, but i guess if there was, an admin or mod would have moved the topic.

As for the appeal, well, we get to loan some of the Leicester talents who aren't ready for the big boys yet. Either to prep them for the first team, or to sell them. And i assume you'll get first dibs on top talents who would move through our ranks should a new Dries Mertens or Dennis Praet pass through leuven, like they did in their teens. Other than that, you are free to ignore OHL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 01/08/2020 at 00:51, Bonanza said:

The Belgian 2nd division is a death trap. No media exposure, fans aren't interested and neither are the sponsors. This is the main reason why most of the clubs are owned by foreigners. Now that we're going up, we'll get more media exposure so in turn the sponsors are willing to give more money. It also means more fans in the stadium so again, more income. To give you an example, the team that gets relegated from the 1st division still recieves about 1 million Euro worth of TV-money. The teams in the second division get about € 250.000 each.

The difference really is night and day.

Firstly well done to you Leuven fans on your promotion; you really are in the best hands possible.

Just intrigued to know what Kamal Sowah is like and whether he’d make it at Leicester?

On 01/08/2020 at 15:13, Bonanza said:

Yes, we still have to play Beerschot tomorrow at 7 p.m.

This game will decide who wins the league. Beerschot won the first game 1-0

Is there a stream for this?

38 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Good thing promotion was sorted off the pitch eh lol

1-4 defeat in the end.

Our first half was pretty good. We should've been up 2-0, but due to an own goal we went into half time 0-1 down. 

Beerschot scored 0-2 after only 5 minutes into the 2nd half after some terrible defending, which meant game over.

We really need some new players fast, especially in defense! Hopefully we can make some signing over the next couple of days as we play our first game on Monday 10th against Eupen.

1 hour ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Firstly well done to you Leuven fans on your promotion; you really are in the best hands possible.

Just intrigued to know what Kamal Sowah is like and whether he’d make it at Leicester?

Sowah had a good 1st half today. If he can keep this level, I wouldn't mind to keep him in Leuven for another year.

Don't know if he'll ever be good enough for Leicester, as the Premier League is a whole other level than the Belgian 1st and 2nd division.

Edited by Bonanza

8 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

1-4 defeat in the end.

Our first half was pretty good. We should've been up 2-0, but due to an own goal we went into half time 0-1 down. 

Beerschot scored 0-2 after only 5 minutes into the 2nd half after some terrible defending, which meant game over.

We really need some new players fast, especially in defense! Hopefully we can make some signing over the next couple of days as we play our first game on Monday 10th against Eupen.

Showing my ignorance here but I've never heard of them. Are they any good or is it a decent first match for a newly promoted team?

9 minutes ago, reynard said:

Showing my ignorance here but I've never heard of them. Are they any good or is it a decent first match for a newly promoted team?

Decent game for a newly promoted team to be honest.

They're a club who has been part of the 1st division since the 2016 - 2017 season. They mostly finish around the bottom of the table (12th place was their best result).

Edited by Bonanza

They are also owned by foreign investors, from Qatar, who use the club to develop young/new players. There is a lot of money behind the club, but their intention isn't to win the league, but make money on players in the long run.

4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Does this mean that when both Leicester and OH achieve champions league next season one of the clubs won't be able to take part as we have the same owners?

I'm sure RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig have both competed before.

• Thanks 2

On 03/08/2020 at 09:24, Ashley said:

Well, I went on the first trip over all paid for by the club. We drank in Leuven then walked to the Ground.

Whilst in the Ground drinking a few of their fans approached us and invited our group to their pub which we happily went. 

Long story short we've been friends with them ever since and they've came over to Leicester now four times. Once paid for by Leuven/Leicester the other three off their own back. They're showing an interest in Leicester City and if you don't get that then give your head a wobble. 

It's great to be getting interest from Europe. Majority of them even have Leicester shirts now too... putting money into the club. 

I'm sorry if its too KPFC and not a 'natural' bond between two clubs like some would suggest. 

People using the term 'give your head a wobble' is annoying at the best of times but even more so in this context lol

The experience you talk of would be the same with any other club owned by King Power, but you had a nice trip paid for so of course you're going to think good of it.

Personally, I'd want a game abroad to be an experience off my own back, for my own reasons and for our club to have 'good ties' to clubs like Leuven, but not to this extent.

You think City need to have a feeder club that most fan wouldn't even know about to have exposure in Europe when we're in the PL and recognised globally? 

A few more shirt sales in Leuven is a drop in the ocean to our owners.

• Sad 1

Leuven is a lovely town.

I've been three times, never as part of a club trip, just on my own. Enjoyed it every time.

Great pubs, friendly people and if you get in the right place behind the goal the atmosphere at the games is decent.

I'm in Antwerp in March and the fixture list has thrown up 'away to Mechelen' while I'm there.

If fans are back in grounds by then, hopefully, somehow, I can get a ticket.

I think that's something our club could do actually,,.  make it easy to buy tickets for OHL games. (Obviously not a possibility in the current situation).

The OHL ticketing website only takes Belgian bankcards.

And even buying at the ground has been problematic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Swear I saw something about a legal challenge against OHL's promotion? Have i dreamt that up or is there actual substance behind it?

Westerlo, the team who came in 1st in the overall standings in the 2nd division, has filed a complaint. They feel they should have a spot in the 1st division. Most people think Westerlo doesn't have a chance, as the rules are very clear. The winners of the 2 periods are the ones that fights for promotion, the overall standings don't have any meaning.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

Westerlo, the team who came in 1st in the overall standings in the 2nd division, has filed a complaint. They feel they should have a spot in the 1st division. Most people think Westerlo doesn't have a chance, as the rules are very clear. The winners of the 2 periods are the ones that fights for promotion, the overall standings don't have any meaning.

What was the purpose of playing the 2nd promotion play off game against Beerschot? Is there some prize money attached?