Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bonanza

The OH Leuven Thread 2020/21

51 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Anyone who can shed any light on the quality of Iversen? Talk of the town is that he's on his way to Leuven for a one year loan deal. 

Supposed to be a good prospect - had two good seasons at League 2 and 1. The expectation was a Championship club for him next. 

4 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Not sure about this, his next move should have been in the championship.

I think you could easily argue that the level is about the same, if not better. He'll be facing the likes of Anderlecht, Gent et al. Big test for him, and pleased it actually benefits Leuven too!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

is the Belgian pro league of an equivalent or higher standard than the Championship?

I'd say it's generally a slightly higher standard, yes. The top five Belgian clubs would probably be competitive in the second half of the PL table, The lower ranked teams are a bit harder to compare. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

I'd say it's generally a slightly higher standard, yes. The top five Belgian clubs would probably be competitive in the second half of the PL table, The lower ranked teams are a bit harder to compare. 

OK thanks, then this makes all the sense in the world from our perspective, Iversen's next step was Championship, the same could be said for Josh Knight and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall at least

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

is the Belgian pro league of an equivalent or higher standard than the Championship?

54 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

I thought it would be interesting to see how fivethirtyeight place the clubs in these leagues.  Here are Belgium’s top six compared to selected Championship clubs and the lowest ranked PL clubs:

DivCompare.JPG.dce8109298ff586c3b4e4c6fd7508c07.JPG

Compared to the Belgian “A”, the Championship is only slightly stronger at the top end, but much stronger at the bottom.  Eupen (who looked better than OHL yesterday) sit way down at #436.

As a new club in the Jupiler, OHL have yet to debut on these rankings.  I’ll let you know when it happens :photo:

It’s ironic, I thought keeper looked the one position Leuven don’t need to improve.  Their guy claimed every high ball in the box, no nonsense.  But with Iversen moved there, Iversen is going to play.  And he will face Championship level competition -- just not against the likes of Eupen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Compared to the Belgian “A”, the Championship is only slightly stronger at the top end, but much stronger at the bottom.  Eupen (who looked better than OHL yesterday) sit way down at #436.

But with Iversen moved there, Iversen is going to play.  And he will face Championship level competition -- just not against the likes of Eupen.

Is it better for a young goalkeeper's development to play in a 200th or 400th ranked team against the same 100th ranked team? 🤔

6 minutes ago, brucey said:

Is it better for a young goalkeeper's development to play in a 200th or 400th ranked team against the same 100th ranked team? 🤔

Does he need more confidence?  or toughness?  OHL v Brugge is going to be much more of an adventure in developing the latter  :ph34r:

Do we know if he had any concrete offers to take him on loan in the Championship? Rotherham would likely have taken him back but they are ranked 428 so not a huge difference there tbf. Any better Championship team might not have been able to guarantee him a starting spot. 

I'll be honest I don't think those fivethirtyeight numbers should be taken as gospel - I do think the Belgian 1st Division is a decent enough step even though I expected him to play Championship football this season - as a goalie I'd imagine facing some teams that compete in Europe would be a decent opportunity to show his worth.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The_Rorab said:

I'll be honest I don't think those fivethirtyeight numbers should be taken as gospel - I do think the Belgian 1st Division is a decent enough step even though I expected him to play Championship football this season - as a goalie I'd imagine facing some teams that compete in Europe would be a decent opportunity to show his worth.

Aye. We're also the 8th ranked competition in Europe behind the big five, Portugal and Russia, so that also counts for something. 

4 hours ago, KingsX said:

It’s ironic, I thought keeper looked the one position Leuven don’t need to improve.  Their guy claimed every high ball in the box, no nonsense.  But with Iversen moved there, Iversen is going to play.  And he will face Championship level competition -- just not against the likes of Eupen.

To be fair, Keet (who played the last game) hasn't actually put in any eyecatching performances in the games he played last season. The main reason they extended his contract is because at that point, we still had a Final to play and his contract would run out before. Also, he's the only goalie we have left apart from two youth prospects who are, with all respect for their talent, not ready for a first team spot. So if anything were to happen to him, we'd have been in a very tough spot. That said, I reckon Iversen is a definite improvement compared to Keet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We're in big trouble now guys! 6 of our players are out with injuries.

Kenneth Schuermans (CB) is out for the rest of the season with a Achilles tendon rupture. Frederic Duplus (RB) (knee) and Derrick Tshimanga (LB)  (adductors) are out for at least 2 month. Both might require surgery which will sideline them for 5 to 6 months. Mathieu Maertens (CM) has a groin injury. He's out for 4 weeks. All of these guys got injured in the last game against Eupen.

Yannick Aguemon (LW) and Stallone Limbombe (RW) are recovering from hamstring injuries, so they'll be out for Saterday's game in Genk.

• Sad 5

25 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

We're in big trouble now guys! 6 of our players are out with injuries.

Kenneth Schuermans (CB) is out for the rest of the season with a Achilles tendon rupture. Frederic Duplus (RB) (knee) and Derrick Tshimanga (LB)  (adductors) are out for at least 2 month. Both might require surgery which will sideline them for 5 to 6 months. Mathieu Maertens (CM) has a groin injury. He's out for 4 weeks. All of these guys got injured in the last game against Eupen.

Yannick Aguemon (LW) and Stallone Limbombe (RW) are recovering from hamstring injuries, so they'll be out for Saterday's game in Genk.

with that many injuries in one game, you have to question the training and preparation...

1 hour ago, MPH said:

with that many injuries in one game, you have to question the training and preparation...

Apparently they've tested all players (blood tests, physical tests,...) and not a single players showed signs of being overtrained or out of shape.

Just bad luck I guess...

Edited by Bonanza
  • Like 1