Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

On 11/08/2020 at 16:55, The People's Hero said:

Trincao is a gamble and I accept his stats and performances are from the Portuguese league but he does look the real deal.

Each to their own mate; but we have lots of McNeil's already. If he's better than Harvey Barnes, I'll eat my shoe - and its not a shoe made of cheese; its a real shoe made of leather. Or maybe plastic. Certainly a leather upper.

Portuguese players are shite. Everyone knows that. Look at that Ronaldo bloke. Fat cnut. 

• Haha 3

Just now, tetly said:

We are good option for a lot of players in that league. The club he plays for now isn’t a big club he left Manchester United to go there. Anything is possible money talks and players want to play premier league football.

Which he already had, and went back to France where he probably feels more at home. And is one of the best players at the club.

There's literally no discernible reason why Depay would leave Lyon right now to come to us. Apart from the offer of European football but that may just be for one season and would be very short-term thinking on his part as Lyon are likely to be back in European competitions in 2021/22 season anyway. Deluded if you think Depay would choose to come here right now over staying at Lyon. 

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Which he already had, and went back to France where he probably feels more at home. And is one of the best players at the club.

There's literally no discernible reason why Depay would leave Lyon right now to come to us. Apart from the offer of European football but that may just be for one season and would be very short-term thinking on his part as Lyon are likely to be back in European competitions in 2021/22 season anyway. Deluded if you think Depay would choose to come here right now over staying at Lyon. 

Can ask why in your opinion we are such a bad option for this type of player?
We have a great infrastructure a top training ground being built.

A very good young squad that needs a few tweaks here and there to become a top team.

With the right recruitment we can push on and get there.
He may or may not come here but this is the type of player I would like to see us go for. 

1 minute ago, tetly said:

Can ask why in your opinion we are such a bad option for this type of player?
We have a great infrastructure a top training ground being built.

A very good young squad that needs a few tweaks here and there to become a top team.

With the right recruitment we can push on and get there.
He may or may not come here but this is the type of player I would like to see us go for. 

It's not that we are a 'bad' option.

It's just that staying in Lyon is probably a better option for him. I'm guessing he earns around £100k/w?

Lyon are a decent team. Maybe they have a great infrastructure and a decent training ground too? 

Lyon's average squad age last season was 23.3yrs.

Leicester's? 26.5yrs.

I'm not trying to downplay how good a team with a decent structure we are. But think at times fans need to remove the blue-tinted glasses and realise we're still relatively small compared to clubs that regularly compete in Europe (I'm aware Lyon aren't in there this season, but did reach CL semis last!). Also, Depay is French and probably is quite comfortable at Lyon right now...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It's not that we are a 'bad' option.

It's just that staying in Lyon is probably a better option for him. I'm guessing he earns around £100k/w?

Lyon are a decent team. Maybe they have a great infrastructure and a decent training ground too? 

Lyon's average squad age last season was 23.3yrs.

Leicester's? 26.5yrs.

I'm not trying to downplay how good a team with a decent structure we are. But think at times fans need to remove the blue-tinted glasses and realise we're still relatively small compared to clubs that regularly compete in Europe (I'm aware Lyon aren't in there this season, but did reach CL semis last!). Also, Depay is French and probably is quite comfortable at Lyon right now...

I totally agree but I think we would have had A LOT more of a chance of signing players like this had we not missed out on qualifying for the riches of the Champions League. 

5 hours ago, Harry96 said:

He’s decent but I wish we would be looking elsewhere. If we’re gonna spend 40 odd on McNeil I’d rather pay 10 more and get zaha 

Problem is zaha is in his late 20s now, he’s not going to improve, and has many negatives probably most concerning being his attitude. He’s quality, but he still seems unfinished. And on mega wages, we would have to make him our highest earner which would cause problems elsewhere in the squad. McNeil isn’t at zahas level yet but could well be. Also McNeil could be trained as a left wing back which I think he would probably manage to to really well if I’m honest.

I think this guy would be a really smart signing.

He’s more than just a winger - when we played at Turf Moor he was given licence to roam wherever he wanted and was causing a lot of problems in central areas. At the time I thought he would be a good option for us. His background also bodes well: was in Manchester United’s academy and has had to work his way back after being let go by them.

For those who are saying Zaha is a better option, look at his goals return for the last 10 seasons. He flatters to deceive, nice feet and flicks and tricks but no consistent end product. That’s why none of the big clubs have taken a punt on him since his return to Palace.

Barnes one side and McNeil the other (If that‘s where Rodgers would play him) would give us a pair of wingers who could conceivably deliver for us for 6 or 7 years. For me, Pérez hasn’t delivered and finding an upgrade in that area was a big potential improvement area.

• Like 4